Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2011, 04:59 PM   #1
Charlene

Fuzion 302 top bunk falling apart

Hi everyone,

On March 4, 2011 we took possession of a new 2011 Keystone Fuzion 302, TE III. We have used the toy hauler 5 times. Love the toy but on our last thip I noticed the top bunk in the garage is falling apart. When the bunks are down, on the bottom of the top one there appear to be rails that have come loose and are breaking through the fabric cover on the bottom of the bunk. These rails have lots of sharp nails in them. (If I did this correctlty there should be pictures attached. ) I am not sure if these are structural supports or what their function is. Has anyone else had this happen? I assume these are there for a reason and will need to be fixed. I have an email into my dealer and am waiting for a response. My questions are: Has anyone else encountered this? If so, it is an easy fix? Is it safe to let my children continue to sleep back there until I get this fixed?

thank you for reading and input you might have!
Char
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P7241731.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	539   Click image for larger version

Name:	P7241730.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	540  
Charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 03:53 AM   #2
TAS

I've got the same bunks in mine and, I wouldn't let my kids on it like that. The fabric is already torn so, cut some of it away and see if you can screw a board over the joint until you can get it to the dealer.
TAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:12 AM   #3
Blackirish

hi, I'm happy I found someone else with the same problem. We just purchased a new Bullet 180 with a top bunk (downsized from a bunk house) and the second time out with it, the top bunk crashed down on the bed below (with someone sitting on it). Thankfully, no one was underneath. However, this left nails and difficulty extracting the fallen bunk but we got it out. Fortunately it was under warranty (just getting it back today with repairs), but I have lost confidence in this model. I like the Keystone brand and the customer service has been excellent in responding to our dealer to send parts, etc. But my trust in putting anything on the top has been broken.
Blackirish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:37 PM   #4
Charlene

Thanks for the replies. The dealer responded and wants more pictures to send in a warranty authorization.

We took the fabric snaps off and peeled the fabric back. There is no way to "push" the rails back into place, (my husband tried). This seems to be a bad design. You attach something from the bottom that has all the wieght pushing down - not an acceptable design in my opinion.

We will make an appointment to get the bank fixed, as soon as they get authorization, but until that point the upper bank will be locked in place and we will not have anyone sleeping on it.

Blackirish. You top bunk collapsed? That is scary because I usually have both bunks occupied. Did they give you a reason?

Thanks
Char
Old 08-03-2011, 08:38 AM   #5
Blackirish

Here is the video of the bunk after it crashed....
Old 08-08-2011, 04:30 PM   #6
Blackirish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackirish View Post
Here is the video of the bunk after it crashed....
I have come to an agreement with Keystone---they repaired the damage and compensated us for our camping trip. I must say that they were pleasant to deal with and sensitive to our situation.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:16 PM   #7
heidi

Same thing with ours

We had a similar problem with ours but they told us that there was a 225lb weight capacity. On a queen bed you have to be kidding me. We fixed ours on our own. We got aluminum angle iron 2" by 6" to put on the two longest sides then we got 1/2" plywood and bolted the plywood to the angled aluminum in 14 places down each side. It was amazing how cheap the top bunk was compared with the bottom one that is aluminum framed. Now I feel comfortable with one adult sleeping up there but they are definitely not built for couples!!
heidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 06:02 PM   #8
Charlene

Thumbs down

Heidi,

A 225 lb weight limit on a bed that sleeps 2? Those are skinny people. I will have to look but i thought the weight limit was 500 lb. Hope that wasn't for both bunks! Still waiting to hear back on the warranty issue. Thanks for letting me know how you fixed your bunk.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:50 AM   #9
heidi

My dealer and Keystone said 500lbs total!! I had a couple in the top bunk with the bottom bunk stop right below it, maybe 3" or so between them. The next morning the top bunk was sagging so bad it was resting on the bottom bunk. I would say the couple was 400lbs combined maybe!!
heidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 06:45 AM   #10
Blackirish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackirish View Post
I have come to an agreement with Keystone---they repaired the damage and compensated us for our camping trip. I must say that they were pleasant to deal with and sensitive to our situation.
hi again, as I mentioned in my last post, I was able to come to an amicable agreement with Keystone, Carmen Westlake has been a pleasure to deal with. She recently wrote me to say reimbursement is in the mail for our out of pocket expenses incurred when we couldnt use our trailer while it was being repaired. For me, it has been a happy outcome, our dealer did an excellent job of fixing the top bunk, and Keystone was excellent at sending all the necessary parts.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:16 AM   #11
wingmoto

I have a 2012 Premier 31BHPR and have had a significant amount of issues. The latest was this weekend when I noticed the bottom bunk had a crack in the front, much like the initial poster had posted about. The top bunk, rated for 150 lbs max, flexes a lot with my 75 lbs child on it. I've about had it... For those of you who have contacted Keystone directly, what is the contact information? My dealer has also been challenging to work with.

Thank you,
Wingmoto - Milford, NH
wingmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 03:50 PM   #12
chain_dogg

Same thing happen to mine........The planks were installed upside down on lots of them, those clips should have been on the top, not the bottom
chain_dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 01:22 PM   #13
BStiers

My Fuzion had the same issue. I took the fabric off and screwed the joyner plates to the wood frame. My daughter is the only one who sleeps on the top bunk and she weights about 100lbs so I know mine should not have had any issues.

If my breaks again I will come up with a different solution.

Bryan
BStiers is offline   Reply With Quote