Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2011, 02:43 AM   #1
njboomer75

No trailer brakes

Quick question: If I have all brake lights and turn signals on the TT, any ideas why my brake controller would say it an Open Connection? In other words, the brakes on the TT aren't working. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
njboomer75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 04:17 AM   #2
cdevill

I had this same problem ight after picking up the new camper. It was a little longer than our previous so I had the running lights on to make sure that I had a good connection all the time, which I could see the lights and had brakes at first but then on the interstate I did not. I drove it that way until I had a good pull over spot and checked the connection and that was it. When the PDI was done and they connected the trailer to my truck showing the new hitch he plugged it in and I didn't doublecheck since it did work in the parking lot at the dealer. It was nice to find out though that my truck can stop 8,000lbs without the brakes jsut incase I ever would have a failure. So make sure your connectors are clean and keep them greased up so they plug in easily. If that doesn't work the I'd start testing the wires and connections for the brakes. Oh, is your brake controller lighting up?
Old 07-22-2011, 04:32 AM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by njboomer75 View Post
Quick question: If I have all brake lights and turn signals on the TT, any ideas why my brake controller would say it an Open Connection? In other words, the brakes on the TT aren't working. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Do you have brakes when you use the manual lever???

Check plug for corrosion or loose or dirty contact.

Trailer brake wires are exposed at the axle ends and just wire-nutted together. Very susceptible to damage and corrosion.

Is this a new trailer or have you had brakes in the past????
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 04:51 AM   #4
njboomer75

Brake controller shows OC- Open Connection.
The TT is about 2 months new to us, but the last time out we had no problems.The manual lever does nothing. Like I said, I have all lights on the TT but just no brakes. Will have to clean all contacts and check the wire nuts. Thanks for suggestions. Will keep you posted
Old 07-22-2011, 05:46 AM   #5
dspriggs

I had the same problem last summer when I picked up a brand new Bullet. I worked with the contacts etc., but then found that the nuts on the wire connections in the junction box on the trailer where the lead from the TV connects were loose from the factory and "jiggled" off in the first 20 miles or so on the wires that make the brakes activate, causing a loss of connection. One nut totally came off the pole and was laying in the bottom of the box. After tightening these nuts I have had no more problems. I would check this before going any further. Your TV may stop 8000lbs on dry pavement, but what if you followed a little rain shower into an intersection?
dspriggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 02:42 PM   #6
njboomer75

Well, thanks for all the help. Got the problem fixed. After checking the wire nuts under by the axles, checking the junction box by the battery and all that stuff , it turned out to be corrosion on the hitch plug. Frustrating, but at least it was an easy fix.
Thanks again for the help.