Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2018, 05:29 PM   #1
Aggiesons3

Need TT polish recommendation

We just purchased a 32' 2015 Cougar High Country TT. What polish/protectant is the best to brighten the fiberglass and protect it from the sun?

I will be doing this maintenance myself, as my husband is still working full time.
Aggiesons3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 02:24 AM   #2
Fishsizzle

Welcome,

Is your trailer faded, now?
2020 F350 Crew DRW 6.7, 4x4, 10 sod auto, 4:10 gears
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 02:59 AM   #3
Bortner

303 aerospace protectent has UV protection we absolutely love this! The key to a shiny trailer is lots of elbow grease to buff with a clean dry towel after applying I cannot Get link to copy but we purchase on Amazon
Bortner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 03:28 AM   #4
gearhead

Assuming you're in Bryan Texas. The Texas sun is tough on trailers sitting outside. Your humidity is probably a little less than mine. The dew will stay on the trailer and then the sun hits it and "cooks" it. Causes oxidation. You will be able to see where the trailer framing is because the framing stays a bit cooler in the mornings and the siding gets hot as soon as the sun hits it. If it's not oxidized now I would choose a good quality wax and use it frequently. 3M products are good. I have used 3M Ultra Performance Marine Wax on my boat. Academy used to have it.
Once it gets oxidized it's about impossible to bring back. Our 5th is beyond help. I've tried every magic potion on the market. Yesterday I sprayed Clorox Clean up on it. Also tried Camco RV Roof Cleaner. Helped a little. I think my solution is a "FOR SALE" sign.
Get some wax on it and do it frequently.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 03:40 AM   #5
Retired Copper

Gearhead, I had pretty good luck using mequires marine compound and wax was in a blue bottle on the cap of an older fifth wheel. Buffed it out and then a couple of coats of new finish. Mine stays under a shed so I just use Blue Ice on it with two coats on front and back. I usually do it every two months. After spring washing I usually don`t wash it again,just dust and spray and wipe. 303 on the tires, slide seals and rubber gaskets.
Equalizer 4 pt.
Retired Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 04:40 AM   #6
gearhead

^^^thanks, I may try it. I can clean the fiberglass front cap pretty good. It's the filon that's killing me.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 06:03 AM   #7
Fishsizzle

Has anyone tried the poly product Keystone recommends in the manual to bring back shine?
2020 F350 Crew DRW 6.7, 4x4, 10 sod auto, 4:10 gears
Old 06-22-2018, 06:33 AM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

When I had my old trailer, I used a product called Flitz. It made my 11 year old exterior look brand new.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 06:52 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishsizzle View Post
Has anyone tried the poly product Keystone recommends in the manual to bring back shine?
If you're thinking about Polyglo, it's advertised in Trailer Life regularly. Essentially it's a liquid floor wax/sealer, very similar to the old "Mop-N-Glo" floor cleaner from years ago.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 04:37 AM   #10
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
If you're thinking about Polyglo, it's advertised in Trailer Life regularly. Essentially it's a liquid floor wax/sealer, very similar to the old "Mop-N-Glo" floor cleaner from years ago.

Does it work?
Old 06-24-2018, 06:53 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishsizzle View Post
Does it work?
If the surface is prepared properly and all the oxidation is removed, yes, it's a temporary shine. On the other hand, if you "half-heartedly" rub the surface, no matter what you put on the surface, when the base flakes off, the surface goes with it. So, unless you "solve the oxidation issue" then no, anything you "cover it up with" is just that, a cover.

Think of putting a table cloth on a stained, scratched table. The surface looks nice, but the underlying problems are still there. Once the table cloth gets soiled, you've still got a scratched table, and also a table cloth to wash....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 06-24-2018, 06:07 PM   #12
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
If the surface is prepared properly and all the oxidation is removed, yes, it's a temporary shine. On the other hand, if you "half-heartedly" rub the surface, no matter what you put on the surface, when the base flakes off, the surface goes with it. So, unless you "solve the oxidation issue" then no, anything you "cover it up with" is just that, a cover.

Think of putting a table cloth on a stained, scratched table. The surface looks nice, but the underlying problems are still there. Once the table cloth gets soiled, you've still got a scratched table, and also a table cloth to wash....

The main reason I ask is we just got rid of our FR wildcat. The front cap “oxidized” and nothing would bring it back. We went to FR and they admitted that the Gel Coat was thin, and couldn’t be buffed back. They had a contingency fund and were paying to have caps painted. We missed that boat that we were never told about. Instead they replaced our front cap. Yes, took old one off and put new one on. Stupid. Glad it’s gone
Old 06-24-2018, 06:44 PM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Members have reported that Keystone has done some (limited and seems hit and miss) goodwill repainting of some caps on some brands and some years, but it doesn't seem to be a "contingency fund" type of operation. Honestly, from what I've read on the forum the past 4 or 5 years, it seems to me (my take on things) that it depends more on how the person at Keystone feels the day your email gets read more so than any criteria of who or what gets help....

I'm sure that there is some sort of logic tree arrangement that they follow, but I sure haven't been able to figure it out based on the reports of "Keystone is repainting my front cap" vs "Keystone refused to repaint my faded front cap".... So, if there is any "standardized Keystone policy" they sure have kept it secret and to the best of my knowledge, nobody here can give you any "do this and they'll repaint your front cap"....

It's puzzling and frustrating at the same time....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 06-28-2018, 07:48 AM   #14
Corncob

Gearhead: Try a green or blue kitchen sponge and maguires rv/boat oxidation repair. Should remove oxidation. The key is to keep the surface wet as you are buffing with sponge. Work in small areas and buff with towel when done with section. You can apply a polish after that. Stay OFF YOUR DECALS. My dad is doing this with his Class A. I use 303 on my Filon, whole trailer. 3 years old looks brand new. Apply 4 times a year or as needed after washing.
Corncob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 08:00 AM   #15
Bixby101

Polish

I used Griots Garage correction creme, then Griots wax (used a buffer). Unreal, worked like magic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	w1 (2).jpg
Views:	152
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	17216  
Bixby101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 08:08 AM   #16
rjullrich

I have found that the old standby, NuFinish, does a fine job & it gets black run marks and
" baked on" bugs off relatively easy. Then, during the camping season I use a product known as DriWash Ultra Ion, which is a "dry" cleaner & serious polish all in one and very easy to use. Kinda pricey though - 64 oz. runs about $65.00, but to me its worth it. Use it on my truck and cars too. But, it's all in what you like.....lots of good suggestions here on the Forum!😊
rjullrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 03:17 PM   #17
buzzcop63

Cougar bought March 2012, use Turtle paist wax, do a little each visit to trailer until done, couple times per year, trailer sits out in a RV storage area and finish still looks new, this is in Beaverton OR. Clean with water or spick and span. Black marks wipe off, seems to stay on top of wax. Before waxing surface is not smooth to my hand but after it feels like silk.
Old 06-28-2018, 07:00 PM   #18
Apalinto

303 is the best! 2015, sits outside, no cover and looks great!
Apalinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 07:54 AM   #19
Charby

Used 303 and the Oxidation came on after 4 years. Must not have been doing it 4 times a year as its winter 5 months. Used oxidation remover and tried again with 303 and it came back. Hate to slop the ZEP on the cap as I see on YouTube, in case its a mess. Ordered up Renew Protect Gloz last night, which is permanent for 12-24 months between one coat applications. I will be getting at it next week and see how it works
Old 07-05-2018, 08:05 AM   #20
Foodgod1

Blue Beacon Truck Washes

We have a newer High Country 5th wheel. Have gotten in the routine of taking the Ram 3500 CC and 5er to Blue Beacon after every trip. They have done a great job of getting the bugs off of both vehicles and treating both vehicles with rainx. Best 60 bucks I've ever spent. Finally, get a cover of some kind to use when you're not on the road. Sitting there cooking in the sun kills a paint job...get it out of the uv rays.
Foodgod1 is offline   Reply With Quote