Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2011, 04:59 PM   #1
jq1031

Unhappy Interesting Observation!

We've traveled almost 3000 miles in the last three & a half weeks. Seen too many small SUV's & light trucks pulling BIG travel trailers & in at least one situation a good size 5er. Parked next to me tonight in Newbury, Mass. is a new Bullet at least 35ft with a half ton tow vehicle parked in front, family of four, two big dogs, bicycles, gear galor & a Georgia tag, along way to pull a big load with a light truck. I guess some people just don't do the math or else don't get it......Sorry, just had to bitch!!
jq1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:17 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

We are in Beckley WV tonight. Towed from Michigan to North Carolina to visit our son, now heading home. We tow a small fifth wheel with a F150. Some of the "weight police" on here may shudder at this, but we are well within the tow specifications for our truck. HOWEVER...... On this trip, we've seen at least 10 big BIG fifth wheels being towed by 3/4 ton trucks. One in particular, a triple axle toy hauler at least 38' long was behind a Ford F250 headed through the tunnel about 20 miles south of Beckley. I am really suprised that he was able to steer that truck, the bed was so close to the ground and I've got no doubt that all he could see with his headlights, if he towed at night was the stars..... At least 4 kids, wife, and the speed limit was 70, he passed me much faster than that. That was, he passed me going downhill, we passed him numerous times on the hills with our speed control set on 60 and the truck running about 3K RPM cruising along while he was limping along at 30 or so getting in the way of the 18 wheelers.....

Some people say an F150 can't tow a fifth wheel safely, I say there's some FOOLS on the highways who think any 3/4 or one ton truck gives them "license" to tow anything..... Where are the weight police when these guys take to the roads ?????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:18 PM   #3
RCrawler

I'd rather have a undersized pickup pulling a big trailer with a capable driver behind the wheel anytime, compared to an inexperienced driver with a 1 ton pickup pulling a 19' pull trailer. Or some of these guys with giant coach RV's that have no business driving them.

Jason

'12 (EDITED) 324RLB- 3 bedroom, 1 1/2 bath
RCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:24 PM   #4
Bob Landry

I guess my rig "looks" unsafe also. I'm pulling an Outback, total length, 35' with a Tundra. I'm 2000 lbs below my tow rating, within payload capacity, and below the axle ratings of the truck and my WD has the front end at unhitched height. I guess I must be a danger on the road also..
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:45 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Bob, I think you may have missed my point. It was obvious to even the most casual observer that a 16K fifth wheel being towed by a 3/4 ton truck with the back end nearly rubbing the tires and the front end so high in the air that it's a wonder the driver could steer the rig, going downhill at 70+ and creeping up the hills at less than 30 in the far right lane causing the 18 wheelers to move over and pass him. It's no doubt he was in over his head with that trailer behind a gas engine F250.

I took a lot of criticism from the "Weight Police" when I first started posting here. I was told that I couldn't tow my Springdale 242 with a half ton truck, While reading other posts, there were a number of people who think that it takes a 3/4 ton to tow "any" fifth wheel, and that half ton truck owners should stay with bumper pull trailers below about 25'.

The gist of what I was told is that it takes a "real truck" to tow a fiver, and if I wanted to try to tow, I should "dump my truck" and get a real one. My point in posting the comment was to "alert" those critics to what I saw on the highway. I'll say again: 'There are some "real trucks" that are so overburdened by the trailers being pulled that many half ton trucks are "safer" on the highway than those "outrageous" rigs.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:33 PM   #6
RCrawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Bob, I think you may have missed my point. It was obvious to even the most casual observer that a 16K fifth wheel being towed by a 3/4 ton truck with the back end nearly rubbing the tires and the front end so high in the air that it's a wonder the driver could steer the rig, going downhill at 70+ and creeping up the hills at less than 30 in the far right lane causing the 18 wheelers to move over and pass him. It's no doubt he was in over his head with that trailer behind a gas engine F250.
Actually, I think he is agreeing with you. Not sure that the guy was in over his head, but his truck was definitely underpowered. Been there myself. Not sure how the hills are where you were at, but if he was able to pull a hill at 30 mph around here, he's still keeping up with the majority of truck traffic.

Quote:
I took a lot of criticism from the "Weight Police" when I first started posting here. I was told that I couldn't tow my Springdale 242 with a half ton truck, While reading other posts, there were a number of people who think that it takes a 3/4 ton to tow "any" fifth wheel, and that half ton truck owners should stay with bumper pull trailers below about 25'.
Just proves that some don't know what they are talking about. However, if I have a choice, I'd pick the 3/4 or 1 ton truck. Heavier suspension and drivetrain will mean less stress, wear and tear and more stability. Doesn't mean your truck isn't rated for and capable of doing it.

Quote:
The gist of what I was told is that it takes a "real truck" to tow a fiver, and if I wanted to try to tow, I should "dump my truck" and get a real one. My point in posting the comment was to "alert" those critics to what I saw on the highway. I'll say again: 'There are some "real trucks" that are so overburdened by the trailers being pulled that many half ton trucks are "safer" on the highway than those "outrageous" rigs.
It has nothing to do with 1/2 ton vs 3/4 ton vs 1 ton. It's about matching the truck for the job. Your 5th wheel is pretty light and well within your F150's rating. If you were at the top end of the tow capacity, then maybe stepping up to a heavier truck would make more sense. But you can overload ANY truck and make it unsafe to drive.

I have an old F350 crewcab IDI diesel. Hauled a equipment trailer with a log skidder on it that weighed somewhere around 40K lbs. 30 miles down the freeway, no trailer brakes, 10 mph on the small hill that I had to pull. Dangerous and highly illegal, yes. But with level headed driving, I did it without a problem.

Jason

'12 (EDITED) 324RLB- 3 bedroom, 1 1/2 bath
RCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote