Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 10-31-2017, 10:56 AM   #1
AZdriver_54

30 amp srvc avail, what are my restrictions

What are my restrictions, electrically if there is only
30 amp service available?
Can I only run 1 AC
Can I run the microwave

A little help would be appreciated.
AZdriver_54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 11:23 AM   #2
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZdriver_54 View Post
What are my restrictions, electrically if there is only
30 amp service available?
Can I only run 1 AC
Can I run the microwave

A little help would be appreciated.
Yes to most any 110vac appliance. You should be able to run one A/C with no problem. Just realize that if you run a toaster, the microwave, a hair dryer, and an A/C all at the same time, you may overload and pop a breaker. Just use a little common sense and you should have no problems.

Remember that the A/C usually pulls extra current on startup. The other appliances do not.

I've often thought that if I was going to need a second A/C in the Cougar that I would completely separate it from the trailer's current 110vac circuits and run it through a separate circuit breaker and its own 20 amp shoreline. Most campground power poles have more than one outlet and many times more than one circuit breaker.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 11:30 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

A "30 amp trailer supply" can typically operate a single air conditioner, the refrigerator and converter at the same time. Turning on the microwave and/or the water heater or plugging in an electric skillet, a toaster, a coffee maker or a supplemental heater may (depending on the operating status of the air conditioner, refrigerator or converter) cause the 30 amp main breaker to become overloaded and open.

What all that means in "basic terms" is that it's easier to overload a 30 amp trailer system than it is to overload a 50 amp electrical system. That said, it's no more complex than any circuit breaker in your home electrical system. If you plug in more than it can handle, it'll open, but if you don't plug in more than it can handle, it'll work just fine.....

So, each of us "learns" what works together, what causes the "trip to the breaker panel" and what won't work together.

Essentially, you have 30 amps (at 120 volts that's 3600 watts) of available power. As you plug in or turn on items, you reduce what's available of that 3600 watts. Once you go over the maximum, your circuit breaker in the power distribution panel (or on the campground post) will open.

Keep in mind that the electrical source must also be rated at or over 30 amps to supply 3600 watts. If you're plugged into a 15 amp ordinary outlet, the maximum you can get is limited by that source, regardless of whether you have a 30 amp or a 50 amp trailer system.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 05:16 AM   #4
NorskeBob

Most appliances will tell you what the required wattage or amperage is to run
the appliance. Here are the average amperage draw for some common RV appliances and electronics.

Coffee maker - 8.3 amps
Converter - 8 amps
Hair dryer - 9 to 12 amps
Microwave - 13 amps
Refrigerator - 2.8 amps
Roof a/c 13.5 amps
TV - 1.5 amps
Toaster - 8 to 10 amps
VCR - 2 amps
Electric skillet- 6 to 12 amps
Hot water heater with element - 10 amps.

A good surge protector will allow you to monitor supply voltage, current draw and frequency. (Proggressive EMS-PT30X)

RV - 2017 Avalanche 320RS
TV - 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4
NorskeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 02:15 PM   #5
bill-e

For coffee, the average kitchen size Keruig draws about 1400w or around 11 amps.

2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
2015 Cougar 26RBI
bill-e is offline   Reply With Quote