Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2016, 11:14 AM   #1
Bhickey2304

RV garage

This may be the wrong forum and if it is please move. My wife and I are building a house with an attached garage for our travel trailer. We are a young couple and plan on staying here many years we have a 30ft tt now with plans for a 5ver next what dimensions would you build the garage to be able to accomadate future rvs? I plan on at most 40ft length of RV so I think probably 45 ft for the garage but what about height and width and that of the door as well?
Bhickey2304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 01:45 PM   #2
notanlines

Let's put a maximum width at about 8'-6" and a maximum height of 13'-8". You can go from there on how big you might want to go. An actual 14' by 14' garage door will suit you just fine, but a 12 foot wide door would not. Backing in a 40' trailer with only 1-1/2 feet to spare on each side is not a comfortable thing to do. Make sure your builder understands that a 14 foot high door means 14 feet, not 13-9". Keep in mind that this is my opinion. I'm quite certain that others will follow.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 01:50 PM   #3
Pull Toy

What you build has many variables. I would suggest a 13'5 x 10(min) doorway to accommodate any future 5er that you might consider. After that you probably want 45' in length so you can walk around the rear of the rig, also some "oops factor" when backing in. The inside width should be wide enough to open opposing slides, minimum 16'5' to allow for walk around, unless this this building is just for storage.

Also 50/30 amp electrical service, and a water spigot are a good adder. If you need to move in, or use it as a weekend guest house, you're good to go!

It's way "over big" for your current rig, but once it's up, its tough to "resize" except for length, and you can use the extra space for bikes, lawnmowers , maybe even the car, etc...

I would check with the insurance companies about coverage before you build "attached". Propane in an enclosure, hooked to the house might be an issue, whereas a modest buffer might be cheaper.

Good luck!

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 02:47 PM   #4
Desert185

14x14 door, 45' deep garage with water, 50A and sewer. You'll never look back and say, "I wish..."
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 12:55 PM   #5
malabarbob

Garage

Build it as big as you can to fit future purchases. I build one of those large car ports for for 30' Class A and eventually moved to a 38' Class A.
I did make it plenty wide to accommodate slides for company.

My uncle build a custom garage for 2 RVs. He neglected to measure the mirrors. He had to unscrew both mirrors ever time he moved it. Measure twice, cut once.
Towed with a 2016 F-150 Laredo with auto backup
Travel with our "Morkie" - Zoe
malabarbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 04:40 PM   #6
CaptnJohn

If only I had room ~~~~ no less than 45' long. My door would be 16' wide and 14' tall minimum. Opposing slides and walk around room would mean inside dimension would be at least 20, preferably 24'. A 50 amp RV service and water/sewer with the ability to dump. I'd have a 36" man door ~~ possibly 2. Building interior height ~~ high enough to get up and check the roof.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 05:12 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

If you assume that you'll always be "trailer folks" then I'd look at a 45' long, 20' wide, 14' tall (interior height) structure with a 12' wide x 14' tall door.

If, by chance, your "chosen RV" might change to a motorhome, many of the "mid price, standard" models are now in the 41-45 foot range. So, a 45' structure may not be long enough, if you decide to RV in a larger class A motorhome.

I also would recommend the ability to get on the roof while inside your structure. With a 13' tall RV, you'd need to look at 17' or even more (if you install a ceiling). If you leave the rafters open, then you can "crawl between the rafters" to access your entire roof with just 14' of interior clearance.

Quite the ambitious project, but as others have said, do it once, do it right and don't look back.

A personal experience: We built our "last RV storage" for our Springdale. We really didn't expect to ever buy another RV, so we didn't "go big".... The following spring, a tree fell on the Springdale, after repair, we traded for another fifth wheel, but were limited in what we could store, so we weren't able to look at fifth wheels that we preferred because we couldn't store without significant investment in adding onto the pole barn. So, consider your "potential biggest RV" and build for that (and possibly more)...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 05:55 PM   #8
Bhickey2304

We are restricted in our neighborhood and have to build a brick exterior structure so I want tone sure to not leaving any "wish list" items for later. I don't ever see going to a motorhome so I think 45 ft will be plenty. Everyone has suggested 14ft are all fifth wheels under this height?
Old 08-27-2016, 06:01 PM   #9
Cbrez

Agree on door and RV utility hook ups recommended by others. Additionally, I would design for pull through, like our local fire departments do, not back in. Obviously the site must be able to accommodate the required turning radius to the rear of the garage. Wheel guards to protect the overhead door jambs are smart, whether pull through or back in. I would provide overhead clearance so I could walk upright on the roof inside the garage. I would install two floor drains so I could wash down the RV. Install a tool bench, deep sink and high pressure air station. If you want to deploy the slides inside the garage, increase the width accordingly. Bottom line is to consider what you want to do with the RV while it is in the garage and design accordingly.

Steve & Diane
2015 Montana 3402RL
2017 F350 Super Duty Lariat 6.7 Powerstroke, Super Cab, Long Box, 4WD DRW
18K PullRite Super 5th ISR
Cbrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 06:33 AM   #10
Laredo291OH

bhickey, federal law says vehicles aren't allowed to be taller than 13'6", unless oversize permitted and I don't think any RV you ever get will be that, so a 14' door should be good.
Laredo291OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 06:39 AM   #11
Pull Toy

Regarding clearance height...

Any Travel trailer or Motorhome over 13' 6" would have a serious issue on American or Canadian Roads. Commercial trailers are standard at 13' 6" or less.

Remember, it's not just a bridge, overpass, and power-line issue. It's the commercial rigs that take out the low hanging leaves and branches on secondary routes and provide us with a usable overhead.

Even so, on routes your not familiar with, keep one eye looking up!

Good luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 06:04 PM   #12
Bhickey2304

Ok good thanks for the input
Old 09-17-2016, 02:10 PM   #13
Bugsnyder1778

Ever consider a drive through? Double the garage doors and need for another driveway, but maybe worth it, only you can decide.

Travel well.
Bugsnyder1778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 03:21 PM   #14
Jay Pat

Ceiling height and garage opening for a overhead garage door will probably be two different numbers. My overhead door company required a minimum of 18" clearance from the top of the open area to the ceiling.
So, check with overhead door company for their required clearance.
Pat
Jay Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 12:59 PM   #15
Ddubya

Re: RV garage

I would do a minimum 45 ft with 16ft walls to accommodate a14x14 door. Also make sure you have a straight or near straight shot to back in.

Ddubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 06:01 PM   #16
Timon

Re: RV garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddubya View Post
I would do a minimum 45 ft with 16ft walls to accommodate a14x14 door. Also make sure you have a straight or near straight shot to back in.
If one ever plans to move up to a larger rig or sell their home I'd do at least 48' inside dimension. Then yore covered all the way to a 45' MH and still have room at each end. If one has room go for 18' wide.

In addition I'd put a 8' tall garage door with the door going straight up the wall so one has room to work on the back of a DP or get into the back yard.

IMHO