Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2016, 04:39 AM   #1
NavyMustang

Black And Grey Water Valves

I've got a brand-new Bullet 248RKS. Keystone was kind enough to put black handles on BOTH the black and grey water valves. Could anyone help me out and tell me which one is which before I find out the hard way?

(Of course, I wouldn't really find out the hard way because I'd put water and food coloring down my black tank to test it, but I figured I'd ask here first!)

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160808_191836.jpg
Views:	5050
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	11045  
NavyMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 04:59 AM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

The black tank is directly under the toilet.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 05:16 AM   #3
NavyMustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
The black tank is directly under the toilet.

The attached image of the discharge is under the bathroom. I have two grey water tanks, one for the bathroom and one for the kitchen. These valves are side-by-side. One is grey, one is black, but they are not labeled.
Old 08-09-2016, 07:32 AM   #4
malabarbob

Tank Valve

The black tank valve is bigger. Hope you have better luck than I did. Just completed our maiden voyage on our 248RKS. I was dumb. I tested everything before we left except for the dump valve. Yep, black valve NG. I have heard others that for defective valves right from the factory. You would think they would check them. Very happy with the unit. Just need more practice backing up. We downsized from a Class A.
Towed with a 2016 F-150 Laredo with auto backup
Travel with our "Morkie" - Zoe
malabarbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 08:07 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

NavyMustang,

Several thoughts that might "help you decide":

First, from looking at your floorplan, it seems that the toilet is "further forward" when compared to the bathroom sink. Since the toilet is positioned "directly over" the black tank, that would mean the "most forward handle" would probably control the valve on the black tank. There is a "third dump valve", probably located further aft, either under or behind the slide for the kitchen gray tank.

Second, every trailer owner should have a "clear sewer connector" (similar to the one in this picture) so there is "absolutely no doubt" as to which tank is being dumped and also to "visualize" the status of the dump, the contents and the "cleanliness" as a result of flushing the tank. This type, by CAMCO, is sold on Amazon for about $6. The price will be "earned by usefulness" many times over.

Hope this helps with your dilemma. If not, once you get the "clear sewer connector" you'll "remove any doubt"........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SEWER CONNECTOR.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	11046  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 02:24 PM   #6
Pull Toy

+1 for JRTJH

Safe way to check which is which at home... McCormack's food coloring.
Green in tank "A".
Red in tank "B".

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 02:26 PM   #7
Tbos

I'd go ahead and do the test. Better safe than sorry. Recently I was helping a first timer set up and when he removed the cap the water poured out. It was not immediately evident that both valves were open but they were. Thankfully only clean water was in the tanks from the PDI earlier that day. Better to spill some clean water on the driveway now and know for sure when you dump in the CH. Ditto on the clear piece for your sewer hose. It's the only way to make sure your black tank flush is done well.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 06:22 AM   #8
NavyMustang

Thanks to all for your replies! Many good thoughts, but I ended up going with the food-coloring test just to be sure. As this is a brand-new TT, the blackwater system had never been used and I didn't have anything to worry about in putting a bit of food coloring water down the tank.

Needless to say, MY valve handles and tubes are the same exact size. I've heard others say that the blackwater valve handle was bigger, but not in my case.

Turns out that JRTJH is correct. The blackwater valve IS the furthest forward. I was aware that the furthest aft handle was for the kitchen sink grey water, but Keystone should really consider grey colored handles though on the valves!

And thank you malabarbob for suggesting I check the valve operation. It seems to be working. We'll see if it's opening up and draining all the way this weekend though on the inaugural trip!
Old 08-29-2020, 02:47 PM   #9
soaz2

Our valves look like this too (first post by Navy Mustang) How do you tell if the extended position is closed or open? The valves twist, turn around, are they broken? They are very floppy too.
soaz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 03:15 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

soaz, this thread is 4 years old so might not get any reply. I saw you started another thread so that should be where you get your replies.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote