Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 07-06-2016, 07:07 PM   #1
srt20

Anybody know where the radio antenna is?

16 Hideout 38FKTS
Has Jensen wall unit stereo DVD, radio, etc. Radio reception is extremely poor. It has the Winegard omni tv antenna, which is extremely poor too.
I read somewhere that the omni antenna is also the radio antenna? Is this true? I haven't been on roof yet.

I'm going to put up a residential tv antenna to improve local channels, and would like to improve radio reception as well.

Thanks!
srt20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 08:07 PM   #2
vantage32fls

It may be coiled up behind the radio. I have the Jenson omni directional antenna with a Rockford fosgate radio. Had the same problem as you and found antenna wire not plugged in after pulling radio out, others have had the same problem.

Tom & Sue
Keystone Vantage 32fls
2019 RAM CC 8' bed SRW 4x4 6.7 HO w/Aisin
15k Curt Tru-Trac Trunnion
vantage32fls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 09:30 PM   #3
busterbrown

My Bullet's radio antenna was balled up behind the head unit. Pulled it up and secured it behind the main living TV and now the reception is adequate.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 10:40 AM   #4
cw3jason

had an Omni antenna on my previous trailer and yes, had to turn on the booster to help the radio as the radio antenna was built into the Omni directional tv antenna
B&W Patriot 16k fifth wheel hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 12:21 PM   #5
msubobcats

That was the case with our 284RDBWE 5th Wheel. The am portion only has the small wire rolled up and in the wall. I had the dealership pull out "the wire" and run it farther up the wall. My am reception is NOT GOOD. But we are in the sticks so for our location, even for a 50000 watt station. I just take a portable radio with me. Wish the radios had the old external antennas.
8.1 / Allison / Long bed / Crew Cab
2016 Keystone Cougar 284RDB
GOOOOO MONTANA STATE UNIVERSITY BOBCATS
msubobcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 04:34 PM   #6
Ductape

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterbrown View Post
My Bullet's radio antenna was balled up behind the head unit. Pulled it up and secured it behind the main living TV and now the reception is adequate.

Mine was also coiled up in the cabinet behind the head unit. Definitely not attached to the TV antenna in any way.
Ductape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 04:52 AM   #7
canesfan

Had the Jensen radio in my last rig. Piece of junk. Like others the antenna was a piece of wire laying behind the radio. Even stretching it out and running it up into the cabinet as high as possible didn't help much. I could walk up to the radio and as my hand got near it the stations would start to fade out. As I moved my hand away the stations would start to fade back in. I called Jensen and after a lot of talk they replaced the radio. Second one was even worse. I kept the original and sent the new one back. Best thing you can do is replace the radio. You will see all sorts of posts about the Jensen radios, mostly not positive.
Old 07-09-2016, 05:03 AM   #8
Dave W

Another with the 'antenna' wadded up behind the stereo. I unrolled and ran the wire up the back of the cabinet but even then the reception is still lousy. If I ever get that ambitious, I'll change it to something that's better since I dislike the DVD player with a passion. It has controls and functions, IMHO, that don't show on the TV screen, is completely non- intuitive and the remote is a tiny button piece of junk and worse, poor sound reproduction tho the cheap speakers might have something to do with that.

Phew, got that off my chest
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 08:00 PM   #9
Brentw

Havent looked behind the radio to see if it was connected, but I had the tv antenna booster plate off ( was pulling power for another project) and there was a co-ax connected there with a radio ant tag on it.
2008 Goldwing
Brentw is offline   Reply With Quote