Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-11-2020, 11:36 AM   #21
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Cragg View Post
Hi! We just bought a used Carbon 31. Perfect size for us we think. My question to you is...with your atv in the back. Do you still have adequate tongue weight? Have you ever had any sway issues?
Im pretty confident that if the garage is not over loaded that this shouldnt be a problem but... just curious as we'll be loading ours prob to the max.
Your advice is greatly appreciated. thank you!
By listing your tow vehicle would be helpful in answering your repeated question. Also what brand of weight distributing hitch with sway control you have.
Just be aware that loading weight in the rear does not remove weight from the tongue in a pound for pound ratio.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 12:10 PM   #22
George Cragg

Hi. Yes. I realize I posted twice. Sorry. Didn’t see it come up the fist time I tried. Somewhat new to these forums.
No... I was just curious to hear what experiences others with same unit had towing fully loaded.
I haven’t even towed it empty much less loaded... :- )
As it’s stored for us till spring.
The previous owner has what looked like a standard WDH with one of those cheap add on friction style anti sway bars on it. He claimed it only swayed in higher winds. So.. that tells me it’s not likely due to bad design causing light tongue issues. And something I can deal with in one way or anther.
This trailer ( as we ll use now) is on the upper end of my towing cap with my present 1/2 ton. With a rating of 10500.
But a dually is in our future so... not worried about that.
just like said though..Just wanted to chat with someone else that has used them.
Thank you
George Cragg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 02:47 PM   #23
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Hi! We just bought a used Carbon 31. Perfect size for us we think. My question to you is...with your atv in the back. Do you still have adequate tongue weight? Have you ever had any sway issues?
Im pretty confident that if the garage is not over loaded that this shouldnt be a problem but... just curious as we'll be loading ours prob to the max.
Your advice is greatly appreciated. thank you!

George, realize the initial post you are talking to is about 5 years old. The original OP is still a member of the forum but hasn't posted much due to being very busy due to the current situation. You might want to start a new thread of your own and see what others have to say; there are probably others than Chip that have had the experience you are looking for.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 03:06 PM   #24
George Cragg

ahh...yes. All good. Not super concerned about it. Or I guess I wouldnt have bought it :-) if it does have any sway issues Ill be able to deal with them one way or the other anyway as I do have a fair bit of RV experience.
Just though Id chat if they were still around.
Like you said. I could always just start my own thread. We'll see
Thanks man. Take care
Old 12-11-2020, 04:14 PM   #25
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
ahh...yes. All good. Not super concerned about it. Or I guess I wouldnt have bought it :-) if it does have any sway issues Ill be able to deal with them one way or the other anyway as I do have a fair bit of RV experience.
Just though Id chat if they were still around.
Like you said. I could always just start my own thread. We'll see
Thanks man. Take care

George it's easy to start your own thread; find the particular forum that fits; click on new thread in the upper left corner; title it, type your question and submit...that's it. I will say this, the old weight distribution hitches with the little add on sway bars leave a lot to be desired as far as control IMO and with the trailer you bought you will want something that works well.
Old 12-11-2020, 07:18 PM   #26
George Cragg

If the trailer is designed properly and the towing setup is correct. The TV is adequate etc. There should be no need for any stringent sway control. I believe this trailer falls into this category.
That said. It’s not impossible that strong gusty winds can start a TT to sway to the point where additional sway control could be an advantage... or even necessary.
Now the guy I bought this Carbon from did a fair bit of towing in the foothills and mountain passes of southern Alberta. Strong wind gusts for sure . If his rather modest setup worked for him. It should also work for me. As I do believe these are well designed trailers. And my setup will be good.and proper.
Something like the Hensley should not be necessary. I’ve always though if you needed one of those. That somethings not quiet right. But... guess it’s always an option worst case scenario.
Old 12-11-2020, 07:56 PM   #27
sourdough
Site Team

Sounds like you already know all the ins and outs of towing and weights so good luck.
Old 12-12-2020, 03:51 AM   #28
notanlines

George, if I might ask, what 1/2 ton truck do you tow with?
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 05:32 AM   #29
wiredgeorge

At about 36' and 13K lbs gross weight the model of his half ton really doesn't matter. I hope this Canadian gentleman doesn't kill himself or someone else.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 05:46 AM   #30
flybouy
Site Team

An optimist would think "maybe it's a lbs. vs kilos calculation issue" ?
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 07:36 AM   #31
LewisB

Quote:
If the trailer is designed properly and the towing setup is correct. The TV is adequate etc. There should be no need for any stringent sway control. I believe this trailer falls into this category.
That said. It’s not impossible that strong gusty winds can start a TT to sway to the point where additional sway control could be an advantage... or even necessary.
Now the guy I bought this Carbon from did a fair bit of towing in the foothills and mountain passes of southern Alberta. Strong wind gusts for sure . If his rather modest setup worked for him. It should also work for me. As I do believe these are well designed trailers. And my setup will be good.and proper.
Something like the Hensley should not be necessary. I’ve always though if you needed one of those. That somethings not quiet right. But... guess it’s always an option worst case scenario.
Let's see:
> 35 foot pull trailer @ 13,000 pounds
> 1/2 ton tow vehicle - but protected by plans to purchase DRW in future
> Trailer is designed properly, setup is correct, tow vehicle is adequate
> No need for a weight distribution hitch with sway control
> Lots of experience & personal knowledge

...did I get it all? Sounds familiar...
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 03:40 AM   #32
notanlines

Brad, Brad, Brad, you just don't understand!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote