Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-06-2015, 02:25 PM   #1
desertjack

winterization oops!!

Hi All
I made an oops, in winterizing my trailer in that I forgot to pump pink stuff into the fresh water inlet connection. Is this going to be an issue next spring when I return to the R V ? Unit is parked at RV resort about 200 miles from home so do I make the 400 mile R/T to correct my error or take my chances ?? Thanks for any thoughts on this
desertjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 03:01 PM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

If you were in Michigan I would say ... have a safe trip and pack a lunch ...... but ..... I am not sure how much of a hard freeze you get in Arizona. This is one reason I blow out the lines with compressed air and then pump in the pink stuff. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 05:26 AM   #3
bsmith0404

Was thinking the same thing. Chances are you'll be fine as long as it isn't parked in the mountains, but it only takes one bad freeze to make the 400 mile round trip cheaper and easier than what you'll deal with in the spring.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 07:18 AM   #4
Desert185

Did you blow it out with a compressor?
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 10:00 AM   #5
jamesmc321

which fresh water inlet?

if you are talking about the one to fill the tank, there probably is no water in it

if you are talking about the 'city' connection, might be worth it, but if you used the pump to pump the stuff through the only thing that might break is that short section of hose (wall to the pump area) and being in AZ i would venture to guess there probably isn't any water in that piece just due to evaporation anyways..
jamesmc321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 10:43 AM   #6
bill-e

I have never worried about the inlet. I just use a winterizing valve to suck the antifreez into the system. -20F is not uncommon here in the winter.

Sent from my SM-P905V using Tapatalk

2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
2015 Cougar 26RBI
bill-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 11:43 AM   #7
jamesmc321

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill-e View Post
I have never worried about the inlet. I just use a winterizing valve to suck the antifreez into the system. -20F is not uncommon here in the winter.

Sent from my SM-P905V using Tapatalk
and people think its cold here in Buffalo
jamesmc321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 02:01 PM   #8
Murphsmom

Where are you in Arizona? When we lived in California, we never winterized at all. Of course, we did use the trailer all year round and the weather didn't get very cold. When we moved to Idaho, we winterized by opening all the drains and turning on the faucets. Didn't know there was any more to do and never had a problem. Now that we are aware of what can happen, we do use the pink stuff and the compressor...or we take it to the local RV repairman and let him do it.
Murphsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 04:57 PM   #9
cathcartww

Smile

Did you open the low point drains? Like lots of others, I put a short piece of hose on the suction side of the pump, and pump pink stuff to each fixture. Then I open the low point drains. The way our trailer is piped, just about all the water from the pump, including the short piece of hose to the city water inlet, drain pretty well. Never had a problem - but then, since I retired, we take the extra precaution of parking the trailer under a palm tree from mid January to the end of March .....

2014 Forest River Wildcat 272RLX Fifth Wheel
2018 F-250 4x4 Crew Cab 6.2L Gasser
cathcartww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 06:37 PM   #10
hankpage
Site Team

The only thing in the city inlet that will usually freeze is the check-valve that is just behind the screen. Not expensive or hard to replace but until it is repaired if you try to use onboard water it will pump back out through the city inlet. Ask me how I know this and why I carry a male hose x male hose fitting and a cap.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 10:16 AM   #11
desertjack

thanks for all suggestions

I used the fresh water pump to pump the pink stuff to all faucets and fixtures and even pumped the stuff by hand into the black tank back flush inlet but..... big time brain fart...... did not do the city water inlet . Unit is stored in No AZ at 6100 ft so its gets really cold in winter......so 400 mile trip ?? or take a chance ??
desertjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 05:12 PM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

The city water connection/one way valve is a "clip in" adapter on the plate. Removing it is just a matter of accessing the back of the panel, unscrewing the PEX line and pulling the clip. The city water connection will pull out from the front. Replacement is the reverse. Cost for the city water connection is about $15.

When you drained the water from your system, most of the water from the "T" where the water pump connects to the city water line back toward the connector should have drained. When you pumped antifreeze into the lines, some probably backfilled toward the city water connector.

If it were mine, I wouldn't be overly concerned at this time. Four hundred miles and your time is probably a "bunch more expensive" than an hour of your time and $15 for a replacement part, if it is damaged. You may find it works just fine next spring. I'd wait and see rather than make the trip.

Of course, it's not my trailer, so the final decision is yours.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 07:30 PM   #13
chuckster57
Site Team

winterization oops!!

I live in the Central Valley of Calif. I have never winterized and a couple of years ago we had a solid week of 15-17 degree nights.

I didnt do anything and all is well. I'm with John one this one, I wouldn't worry needlessly unless freezing temps are predicted.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 08:27 PM   #14
bmach

Go and fix it why take a chance. Make it a weekend trip. Get a room, stay overnight, go out to eat, take in the scenery.
bmach is offline   Reply With Quote