Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 03-08-2011, 09:33 AM   #1
roadking9

electrical plugs

I have 110v outlets that dont work, both of the ones that the slideouts plug into , and the 2 plugs in the bedroom dont work. Anyone know how to solve this problem?
roadking9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:23 AM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

Check to see if your GFIC outlets are tripped. Usually the lavatory and the outside outlets are resettable and the rest are fed from them. The circuit breaker should also be marked RECP. but not always correct. Hope this helps, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 04:14 PM   #3
geo

Dead plugs

What type of trailer do you have? On ours, the nightstand outlet is dead. I'm thinking about calling Keystone about warranty repair. I pulled the receptical and know the line is dead. It is not GFCI. It's got to be a problem inside the slide.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:03 PM   #4
Handysam

A tripped GFI receptical, will affect all recepticals. Geo, did you check all the others to see if they work?
Old 03-08-2011, 07:51 PM   #5
ktmracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handysam View Post
A tripped GFI receptical, will affect all recepticals. Geo, did you check all the others to see if they work?
well, not quite true. A tripped GFI recepticals will affect all recepticals DOWNSTREAM from the GFI on that circuit.

If the receptical does not have a label saying it is GFI protected, there is a good chance it is NOT on a GFI circuit. First I'd check to see if any of the breakers in your breaker box have tripped.

the OP mentioned outlets on the slideout not working. Here is a hint. It is likely that the way the slideout is wired is that a run of 14/2 WG "romex" goes from the breaker to somewhere under the trailer in the underbelly. At that point there is a "vampire" stab coupler that connects the 14/2 WG romex to a section of 14/2 WG stranded SJ or similar jacketed wire. that wire then runs into the slideout and is kept in place to move in and out with the slideout and goes into the living area where there is another "vampire" stab connector going from stranded to 14/2 WG romex and the outlets on that circuit.

First clue, make sure there is power to the first outlet on the circuit after the stranded wire.... The "vampire' stab jacks are not know for being reliable and/or the stranded wire run could have been pinched or pulled loose by the slideout mechanism.

2004 Silverado CC/SB/ 4x4 Duramax
Pace 14' bike hauler with full living quarters
ktmracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:11 AM   #6
geo

Plug problems

Ktmracer is correct. The nightstand plug is not down-line from the GFI. I tested all the other outlets, even the one in the closet(!), that one is the only receptical I have that is non-functional. I pulled that thinking that the vampire connection on the back of the receptical was probably not solid (been there before). Using a multimeter, the line itself is dead. I have looked in the upper basement and could not figure out which 14-3 Romex was the feed to the slide. The 12 volt line to the slide is good, but the only 120v line is dead. I bet Ktmracer is correct, either the line is not connected correctly to another line via vampire splice or it is not connected properly to the breaker box. For as much luck I have had with utilizing McClain's RV for service, I think I might have to put my "Tim Allan" shirt on, disconnect the shoreline and the batteries, and pull the breaker box. Oh, all the breakers are engaged. I do have a "line chaser" (as I call it) I can use - plug a unit into the receptical and hold a probe along the Romex to identify the line. It just means squeezing my mass between the aluminum braces to reach back into the upper basement! Not a pretty sight!

What I don't want is a loose wire connecting something wrong as I'm heading down the road to Mammoth Cave NP!

Roadking9 - we are on opposite sides of DFW, so what model Keystone do you have? Are all the 120v outlets dead on all the slides? Is your RV new and can you get warranty service?

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote