Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2015, 11:58 AM   #21
Trailsport07

Yes I am so far satisfied with my JAYCO. And what I'm getting at is they should have left it as people choice to buy the Couger or the light. And up till 2014 the couger had a walkable roof and better suspension. And yes quality is going to go down as they use cheaper lighter material. You cant say it wont. Couger was one of there better trailers now look what they did to it. You already have former owners saying its a deal breaker with no walk on roof. They are selling these new ones to people with no experience.
Trailsport07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 12:28 PM   #22
Grbill

Well I have experience and just bought a 2015 cougar xlite 26rbi with every option and couldn't be happier with the quality. After looking at every manufacturer for the last 2 years we found this trailer gave us the best bang for our buck. I got what I expected.
Grbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 12:56 PM   #23
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailsport07 View Post
Yes I am so far satisfied with my JAYCO. And what I'm getting at is they should have left it as people choice to buy the Couger or the light. And up till 2014 the couger had a walkable roof and better suspension. And yes quality is going to go down as they use cheaper lighter material. You cant say it wont. Couger was one of there better trailers now look what they did to it. You already have former owners saying its a deal breaker with no walk on roof. They are selling these new ones to people with no experience.
Ford did away with the Crown Vic, Chevy with the Caprice, heck, GM completely dumped Pontiac and Oldsmobile, Ford dumped Mercury and Chrysler stopped making Plymouths. As the market changes so does the availability of models and brands. The point I was making is that Cougar sold more trailers than ever AFTER they stopped making the "full weight models". You have stated it incorrectly when you say, "Cougar WAS one of their better......" Cougar still IS one of their better trailers. Thousands will be sold this year and there are 10's of thousands on the road, almost all owned by "satisfied customers". As for "former owners saying it's a deal breaker, for every one of them, there are a hundred lined up ready to buy a Cougar. Not everyone likes vanilla, not everyone likes the "new Cougar" but then there are some still "fussing" about not being able to buy a Pontiac. To each his own, as the industry grinds on, without even a hic-cup.............

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 03:45 PM   #24
Trailsport07

I am not saying anything bad about any brand. If its a camper or travel trailer with wheels I like it. I am not tryig to cause a problem. Just when I was looking at my Eagle the Couger was built like it. Was a stuff choice to make. But now for me it would be easy. My Eagle has the walk on roof and more ride suspension. I just think Keystone should leave it as an option if you want all that. Or if you want a lighter version then order without. Most people new to trailers pro ally would not even think to ask if you can walk on the roof. I know the Couger is a beautiful trailer. I just don't want to see quality go down to save weight. Good luck with your new Couger. Hope you get years of service from it.
Old 04-09-2015, 04:14 PM   #25
JRTJH
Site Team

trailsport07,

Since you own a Jayco and are comparing it to the Cougar, have you thought to get on the Jayco forum and ask why they don't offer a "lighter weight" trailer without the walkable roof? Might cause some "stirrings in Jayco management" with your questions. I'm fairly well convinced that Keystone isn't listening to you (they don't monitor this forum), but thanks for your observations.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-09-2015, 05:20 PM   #26
Trailsport07

I am not just comparing it just to Jayco, you started about my brand. Like I said I like allot of brands. But yes Jayco does have the strongest roof in the industry. And that is something they are proud of. Why would I ask about a non walkable roof, most owners want a walkable roof. However I did post this on the Jayco forum earlier today. I really don't care if keystone reads this or not. This is for camper owners and I'm telling my opinion. Again you started brand not me. The Couger to me when I looked at them represented stronger built higher quality. You are loosing some of that quality. They should make it a buyers choice. Not beingable to walk on the roof is a deal breaker for me regardless of brand. Tell me would you buy a non walkable roof trailer. Maintenance would be hard.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:21 PM   #27
JRTJH
Site Team

WHOA right there trailsport07. I didn't start about your brand, I stated that you don't even own a Keystone and that you own a Jayco. That's not "starting about your brand." You're certainly entitled to your opinon, but, since you don't own and haven't owned a Cougar, or any other Keystone product, your opinion is exactly that, an opinion. I wouldn't dream of going on the Jayco forum and telling them what's bad about their manufacturing process and I wouldn't think you're the expert who should be criticizing Keystone's manufacturing and marketing strategy on this forum.

As for Jayco, I've owned one. If you look at the long list of RV's that I have owned, you will find that there is only one Jayco on the list. There is a reason for that, it wasn't accidental. I'll leave it at that and suggest that you post your experiences with Cougar, not your suppositions based on owning a competitive product. I won't "bash" yours, don't you "bash" ours. Thanks

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-09-2015, 08:30 PM   #28
Ken / Claudia

My 40ft park trailer had a non walkable roof. I used 2 extra 2x3 pieces of light plywood with padding on one side. Put a ladder up to the side, climbed up and moved them around as I needed. I did not think is was a big deal. Padded side down and never hurt the roof.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 03:43 AM   #29
Trailsport07

You just don't understand what I was getting at. I am done discussing it with you. By the way we did have a 2012 Keystone hornet for one summer. So yea we did own a Keystone product. I am not bashing keystone, If it were any other brand I would be saying the same thing. You just took in a different direction. Any way was nice chatting with you.
Old 04-10-2015, 04:21 AM   #30
Trailsport07

Oh and never claimed to be an expert. Keystone can do what ever they want. Who cares. It should be buyers choice.
Old 04-10-2015, 07:06 AM   #31
Festus2
Site Team

Thanks to billb800si for bringing us the bulletin about the Cougar X Lite's roof. Good information to know if you have this model or are considering buying one.

Whether Keystone's decision to go that route is a "good or a bad" one only time will tell but we're not going to solve that here. Thanks to everybody for your input but it seems that the topic has become lost. Let's try to find a way back so we can get on track again. Thank you.
Old 04-11-2015, 06:39 AM   #32
Irving Ray

2013 Ladder

I'm in the process of buying a 28 SGS with no ladder, humm , wrote Jason

The 2013 will be backed for a ladder. These changes did not go into affect until September of 2014 on our 2015 product.

Jason Clark
Keystone RV Company
Shoppers Konnection Division
Phone: (574) 535-1437
Email: [email protected]

Best guess is roof is safe to walk ? Also looking for a ladder , at least to hang my bike on . Thanks Bart"Irving Ray"
Irving Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 07:17 AM   #33
Grbill

Just installed a couple vent covers on our new 26rbi this morning, the roof feels surprisingly solid for a "non walkable". I was able to tell where the trusses are and kept my knees on them but unless this thread came along I wouldn't have thought not to go anywhere on it. My only disappointment is that it doesn't tell me anywhere in the owners manual wether it's walkable or not.
Grbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 07:23 AM   #34
cw3jason

I had an ultra light from SOB. Same deal non walkable roof. I can tell you thru experience you can walk on a non walkable roof for maintenance. Just stay on the rafters or us plywood to span the gaps, both solutions have been stated in previous post. I was up on my roof sweeping off the slides before bringing them in and up reseal ing stuff twice a year. No issues, just use caution

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
B&W Patriot 16k fifth wheel hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 07:30 AM   #35
KanTC

Grbill,
The Owners Manual isn't specific to your RV... info is rather generic & covers all Keystone lines/models.

Please excuse the interuption everyone... ok, back to the roof discussion.
Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 12:45 PM   #36
sourdough
Site Team

I bought a 2014 Cougar High Country before they made the changes; has walkable roof, ladder, upgraded suspension etc. We liked it due to all the higher end features. We found right after we bought it that they discontinued them - some of the parts were already "discontinued". I was dismayed and visited with the GM of the dealership about it. His comments were: the high end travel trailers don't move very quick. When the price gets to 50-60k or so folks look at 5th wheels and other options, not a travel trailer. You got a super price on your trailer, right? (Yes I did). That's because we had to discount it a LOT because it wouldn't move.

These comments are to highlight the previous posts about moving away from the heavier, costly components in the old Cougar line to the xlite trailers . Now.......back to the roof discussion - sorry for the off tangent remarks.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 10:00 AM   #37
tundraman67

Roof

I have a 2012 Cougar XLite 29RES and was told by the dealer that I didn't get a ladder because the manufacturer didn't install the back plating for it. I asked if it could be done and was told yes but they would have to take the whole back off the trailer which would cost a lot of money. I asked them if the roof was still walkable, was told yes, then I asked why not put a ladder on a FW if you can walk on the roof - they couldn't come up with a good answer. I guess this was the start of making the change to not walking on the roof - lol.
tundraman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 08:54 PM   #38
Newman252

Somewhat old topic but I was looking through the owners manual before I pick up my new Cougar next week. Right in the area of roof maintenance is a highlighted bulletin that says unless your trailer comes from the factory with a ladder the roof is non-walkable. Bummer! I may be very new to RV's but I learned how important roof care is. How am I now supposed to check for cracks and such now? Wish I would have known that before. I don't think it would have been a deal breaker for me but up until this topic I thought all roofs were walkable and in fact it was encourages for maintain acne reasons. I surmise manufacturers will now use that as a selling point. "This beautiful brand x RV has a walkable roof that others don't do."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Newman252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 07:12 PM   #39
bill-e

Newman252, dont let the roof sour you on an otherwise great trailer if you find one. The easiest solution is to go out and buy a piece of 2" think board insulation and cut it in half to make 2, 4' pieces. then use that to walk on your roof with. Works great, been up on mine a couple of times including to install and MAXAIR Deluxe fan and a Hard Start capacitor.

Sent from my SM-P905V using Tapatalk

2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
2015 Cougar 26RBI
bill-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 12:50 AM   #40
Newman252

Thanks bill-e! I did ask the shop guy during our orientation about walking on the roof. He told me I could use a big ladder and lean or if I do walk or put weight on the roof to try to stay on the trusses. He says I should be able to see them a little if I look pretty good. He did tell me to be very careful though. I've seen others above say they used the board idea. Guess I'll just do that. Thanks for the input.
Newman252 is offline   Reply With Quote