Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2015, 11:01 PM   #1
Dave-Gray

Tow Capacity Comparisons For 2015 Trucks

Here are three links to some truck brand comparisons for half-ton, three-quarter and one ton trucks with some jaw dropping surprises.

Half-ton Truck Realistic Towing Capacity

Three-quarter Ton Truck Realistic Towing Capacity

One Ton Truck Realistic Towing Capacity

08 Dodge Ram 3500 4X4, Dually, 6.7L Diesel, K&N cold air intake system, B&W Gooseneck with 5th Wheel Companion, Firestone Air Bags
SOB: 09 Toy Hauler with Trail Air Tri Glide Air Ride Pin Box.
Dave-Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 05:32 AM   #2
trueweb

You're telling me an F-150 with a short-bed and V6 engine can "realistically" tow 10%+ more 5th wheel than the 3/4 ton trucks? That is a jaw dropping surprise. Should make a lot of the "can I tow with my 1/2 ton?" people here happy.
trueweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 05:39 AM   #3
jsmith948

Well - you read it on the INTERNET so it must be true.......right?

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 05:42 AM   #4
bsmith0404

Interesting numbers, but I can't seem to figure out one figure. On the Dodge 2500 Mega Cab, can't see why the conventional trailer number is so much lower than the crew cab. There's only 340 lbs difference in curb weigh, but over 2500 lbs difference in tow capacity.

For the most part, when you get to the 3/4 and one ton trucks the numbers are pretty close unless you put a 4:10 gear in the Ram. With the tow capacities as high as they are, I personally wouldn't see a need to go to a 4:10 gear and suffer the fuel mileage loss, at least not for my use.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 06:05 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueweb View Post
You're telling me an F-150 with a short-bed and V6 engine can "realistically" tow 10%+ more 5th wheel than the 3/4 ton trucks? That is a jaw dropping surprise. Should make a lot of the "can I tow with my 1/2 ton?" people here happy.
One of the "added notes" in almost every trailer manufacturer's "half ton series" fifth wheels is the comment, "Towable by half ton trucks when properly equipped"

There is a not on the half ton webpage at the above link that states: "Pay close attention to the GVWR. After visiting a local Ford dealership, the highest GVWR F150 on the lot like one of the models above was 7,050. Any F150 less than GVWR of 7850 should never be considered for towing any kind of fifth wheel trailer."

Pay close attention to the "half ton trucks" on most dealer lots, they are not "base models" with the maximum GVW package, but are "dressed up Soccer Mom" models with a significantly reduced GVW and are loaded with heavy "user friendly luxury options".

The same holds true for the 3/4 ton and 1 ton vehicles. The numbers listed on those pages are for the "base model truck" and you'll very seldom find that GVW/payload capability on the "fancier trucks" that are sitting on dealer lots....

Many people will go to a dealership, "listen" to what they want to hear from the "salesman's pitch", not look at the "rest of the information" and buy the wrong truck.

Reading through the threads on this forum, I've come across a surprising number of disappointed "truck owners" who thought (and were told by their dealer) that they could "pull anything on the lot" when in actuality, their particular model truck is ill equipped for a specific type towing based on the "packages installed" to make the truck "look and ride" like a car..........

You're right, a base model F150 equipped with the right equipment and packages can "in the engineer's perspective", tow more than an "ill equipped 3/4 ton" from a different manufacturer...... I think that's the "take away message" on the three links: Not all trucks with a specific "badge" on the fender are comparable. Do your homework to be sure your truck is equipped to do what your salesman tells you it can do and what you see your neighbor's truck doing. They aren't all the same.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 06:21 AM   #6
dwyleecoyote

Where is the chart for how much weight you will actually enjoy towing?
dwyleecoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 07:08 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwyleecoyote View Post
Where is the chart for how much weight you will actually enjoy towing?
There isn't one. The "bottom line" is that you have to "mash the numbers" and come up with the "bottom line. EVERY truck comes with a different set of options, different equipment, different capabilities. If someone were to take the 200 options available on the F250 (that's a guess on the number, not a fact) and try to build a chart with every "possible option capability" the chart you're looking for would likely be several thousand pages long. Would there be "dramatically different" numbers for most trucks? Probably not, at least for many "similarly equipped" trucks, but to be "accurate" every truck "by VIN" would have to be on the chart (except for the ones that are "identical" in every option).

So, that "elusive chart" that you speak of, simply doesn't exist. You have to do the calculations on the truck you're looking at and the trailer you're considering and do the "best guess" estimates, unless you're given the luxury of taking the rig home, loading it for a trip, and then taking it to the scales to weight it "before you buy"... Otherwise, it's a "best calculated assumption" based on experience and understanding the weight considerations.

That's why so many people get in "over their head" with trying to comprehend the way to calculate the "probability" of what will work... They simply don't understand what they are driving, what they are towing and how to determine the limits of towing that "specifically different rig" from the one sitting next to it with a different tow vehicle and a different floorplan. They simply won't, in most situations, be "identical numbers"..... Even if they are both the same brand truck and trailer with the same badge on the fender and the same decal on the trailer front cap.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-22-2015, 07:15 AM   #8
hankpage
Site Team

Towing 12,000lbs. with a 4,000lb. truck as opposed to a 7,000lb. truck will make a BIG difference in control regardless of what PRINTED numbers have to say. JM2˘, Hank

Reducing the weight of a tow vehicle to increase tow ratings does not make ME comfortable.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 08:14 AM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

I had read these the other day online and didn't put much stock in them. I re-read them today and still feel that way.

Having pulled the same 9000 lb trailer with a 1/2 ton and a 3/4 ton I can indisputedly say that a 1/2 ton can't compare to a 3/4 ton no matter what this article implies.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 12:33 PM   #10
Festus2
Site Team

Dave-Gray:

As you have pointed out in these links to 5th Wheel St, a site which you founded and maintain, the figures are for a bare bones, base model truck. I'm not sure how many of us have one of these basic, no frills models, but I would venture to guess that most of us have a number of upgrades and other accessories which would make these numbers unusable.

Secondly, all of the figures, except for the F450 pertain to 2 wheel drive vehicles. Again, I think the majority of us drive 4x4's which would again nullify the towing capacity numbers that are found in these links or for anyone contemplating a 4x4.

Thirdly, I don't think that using your own flow charts and formulas to determine if X truck is right for the job is as "easy as eating apple pie". You are recommending to our members that they use the "simplified worksheets" and flow charts developed by you and posted on your own website - 5th Wheel St. I'm sure that you are using the numbers from the various manufacturers in your calculations and that you are trying to make it as easy as possible for folks to accurately and safely determine their TV's towing capacity. I just don't think it's as simple as plucking numbers from your tables, plugging them into your worksheets and coming up with "the right answer". There are just too many variables - most of which have been outlined by JRTJH in his posts above.

However, I do think your 5th Wheel St site does provide people with a tool and guide to use along with some other essential information to help them make an informed decision when choosing a tow vehicle.
Old 02-22-2015, 02:39 PM   #11
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
Towing 12,000lbs. with a 4,000lb. truck as opposed to a 7,000lb. truck will make a BIG difference in control regardless of what PRINTED numbers have to say. JM2˘, Hank

Reducing the weight of a tow vehicle to increase tow ratings does not make ME comfortable.
Ahhhhhh me neither..
Old 02-22-2015, 07:19 PM   #12
bsmith0404

Wow, glad I stopped to read this, I was going to the local Ford dealer tomorrow to trade my 3500 Dmax dually in on a F-150 Eco Boost....NOT. The towing wars have lead to claims of drivetrain capability, not safety capability. I do like that GM puts a note that the 1/2 ton truck is not recommended for 5th wheel towing. Based on suspension and GAWR of 1/2 ton trucks, I would venture to say that the others wouldn't fair well either.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 02-23-2015, 04:33 AM   #13
Jlwright

I am picking up my new GMC 3/4 ton Duramax diesel today and trading in a 1/2 ton with only 5000 miles on it for this reason. My new fifth wheel will weigh about 9000 lbs. loaded. Pretty expensive swap but should up the comfort factor a lot. Even with the down graded towing capability of the chart I am still in good shape.
Jlwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 05:08 AM   #14
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlwright View Post
I am picking up my new GMC 3/4 ton Duramax diesel today and trading in a 1/2 ton with only 5000 miles on it for this reason. My new fifth wheel will weigh about 9000 lbs. loaded. Pretty expensive swap but should up the comfort factor a lot. Even with the down graded towing capability of the chart I am still in good shape.
You will love the new combo. That 2500 Dmax won't even know there is a 9,000 lbs trailer behind it. I used to tow an 11,000 lb 5er with my 2500, it was a great set up. When I jumped up to a 15,000 lb 5er I had to go to the 3500. Miss my 2500, loved that truck.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 02-23-2015, 05:42 AM   #15
Jlwright

I needed that this morning. I can't believe I am trading a new truck in for another new truck, but I feel better now.
Jlwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 07:57 AM   #16
GaryWT

Trading in trucks can be tough since we love our trucks. I traded a 1 year old truck when I started towing again and then a 3 year old truck when I decided I wanted to go from a 150 to a 350, it was hard but I do love the 350 (and am so glad gas prices are down...). I never had an issue towing with the 150 and would do it again if needed but towing with the 350 is just the best.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 12:22 PM   #17
danisr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlwright View Post
I needed that this morning. I can't believe I am trading a new truck in for another new truck, but I feel better now.
I traded my 2013 F150 for a 15 2500 Duramax a year into owning the Ford, you wont miss a thing ! Its an awesome truck.
Old 02-23-2015, 12:28 PM   #18
dwyleecoyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
There isn't one. The "bottom line" is that you have to "mash the numbers" and come up with the "bottom line. EVERY truck comes with a different set of options, different equipment, different capabilities. If someone were to take the 200 options available on the F250 (that's a guess on the number, not a fact) and try to build a chart with every "possible option capability" the chart you're looking for would likely be several thousand pages long. Would there be "dramatically different" numbers for most trucks? Probably not, at least for many "similarly equipped" trucks, but to be "accurate" every truck "by VIN" would have to be on the chart (except for the ones that are "identical" in every option).

So, that "elusive chart" that you speak of, simply doesn't exist. You have to do the calculations on the truck you're looking at and the trailer you're considering and do the "best guess" estimates, unless you're given the luxury of taking the rig home, loading it for a trip, and then taking it to the scales to weight it "before you buy"... Otherwise, it's a "best calculated assumption" based on experience and understanding the weight considerations.

That's why so many people get in "over their head" with trying to comprehend the way to calculate the "probability" of what will work... They simply don't understand what they are driving, what they are towing and how to determine the limits of towing that "specifically different rig" from the one sitting next to it with a different tow vehicle and a different floorplan. They simply won't, in most situations, be "identical numbers"..... Even if they are both the same brand truck and trailer with the same badge on the fender and the same decal on the trailer front cap.....
I was being sarcastic... I know it doesn't exist.
dwyleecoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 12:49 PM   #19
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwyleecoyote View Post
I was being sarcastic... I know it doesn't exist.
Well now you've got confirmation......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-23-2015, 01:22 PM   #20
Hansel

After I started a thread about my F-250 and 5th wheel's I don't think there is such a thing as a 1/2 ton towable 5th wheel. Looking at the number's my truck it barely meet's what it can carry, then I look at the 1/2 ton 5th wheel's, I won't towing with a actual 1/2 ton truck.

Not that I can replace my F-250 right now, but I'm looking into a good used Chevy 3500HD dually that way when I go to pick out a camper I have PLENTY of truck
2003 F-350 CCDRW 2X4 7.3L Powerstroke
Hansel is offline   Reply With Quote