Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2015, 01:25 PM   #1
mavagrand

What is delamination?

I have a 2015 Laredo 299bh. been a great trailer so far. I have noticed, on every one of the exterior "cargo" doors, what I describe as bubbles appearing. most of the bubbles are at the bottom where the door meets against the frame. these "bubbles" were not there when I bought the camper. When I press against them, they are hard and have no give. Is this delamination? what would cause it on all the exterior cargo doors as well as the door for the outdoor kitchen? should I take it in to the dealer?
mavagrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 01:56 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

It is probably delamination caused by moisture getting under the fiberglass layer and then the sun baking it, turning the water to steam that pushes the top surface of the fiberglass out, making the bubbles.

Yes, if you're in warranty, take it to the dealer, see what he suggests and go from there. Realize that if he simply replaces the doors with similar ones, you'll probably have the same issue again. When you get the RV back, look at possibly running a bead of sealant (not silicone) around the metal/fiberglass edge. That may stop further water seepage, or then, maybe it won't. Either way, at this point, I'd urge you to discuss the problem with your dealer. Possibly, he and you can reach an agreement not to leave the trailer at his facility until the replacements are in and ready to be installed, then make an appointment to swap them out. No need to leave your trailer there for weeks on end, just sitting when you can still use it like it is....

Good Luck.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 03:05 PM   #3
mavagrand

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
It is probably delamination caused by moisture getting under the fiberglass layer and then the sun baking it, turning the water to steam that pushes the top surface of the fiberglass out, making the bubbles.

Yes, if you're in warranty, take it to the dealer, see what he suggests and go from there. Realize that if he simply replaces the doors with similar ones, you'll probably have the same issue again. When you get the RV back, look at possibly running a bead of sealant (not silicone) around the metal/fiberglass edge. That may stop further water seepage, or then, maybe it won't. Either way, at this point, I'd urge you to discuss the problem with your dealer. Possibly, he and you can reach an agreement not to leave the trailer at his facility until the replacements are in and ready to be installed, then make an appointment to swap them out. No need to leave your trailer there for weeks on end, just sitting when you can still use it like it is....

Good Luck.
thanks for the input. what you say makes sense. I've noticed all of the door frames have holes drilled in them on the lower edge. this is the edge that would sit in water in the event of rain. All of them are that way, it has to be from the factory. why would they do that? I'll give Lazydays a call tomorrow, thanx for the advised.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:52 PM   #4
theeyres

You're doing the right thing by taking it in. It sure sounds like delamination and it is strange on a new 2015 rv. Something is wrong. I hope you have a good dealer that will go to bat for you and get it fixed. Keep their feet to the fire if there is a problem!!!

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 04:42 PM   #5
mavagrand

Quote:
Originally Posted by theeyres View Post
You're doing the right thing by taking it in. It sure sounds like delamination and it is strange on a new 2015 rv. Something is wrong. I hope you have a good dealer that will go to bat for you and get it fixed. Keep their feet to the fire if there is a problem!!!
Dropped it off at LazyDays last week. Oddly enough, the outside kitchen door was the only one that I could find the delam on when doing a walk around with the rep. I could have sworn all the outside doors had bubbles, but couldn't find them. Strange, I know they were there before.

Anyway, the rep agreed it was delamination on the kitchen door and has ordered a replacement with the sticker.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:09 PM   #6
theeyres

In the early stages of delam the bubbles will often appear and then disappear as the leak dries out. I had that on my fifth wheel. It went on for several years until they kept getting bigger and bigger and no longer flattened out. Sorry to say, but if they've been there they will come back. Next time you see it, take some pics so you can show them to the dealer.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 05:23 AM   #7
cw3jason

Use the tap test. Tap on panel with a coin. You will hear a sharp tap on a good panel and a dull thud wherever there is a void/delamination

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
B&W Patriot 16k fifth wheel hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 08:23 AM   #8
mavagrand

Quote:
Originally Posted by theeyres View Post
In the early stages of delam the bubbles will often appear and then disappear as the leak dries out. I had that on my fifth wheel. It went on for several years until they kept getting bigger and bigger and no longer flattened out. Sorry to say, but if they've been there they will come back. Next time you see it, take some pics so you can show them to the dealer.
Thanks, did not know that. I'll take pix.
Old 04-28-2015, 02:29 PM   #9
GaryWT

Sure sounds like it.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 05:43 AM   #10
mavagrand

UPDATE: Picked up the camper from Lazydaysi n Seffner, Florida. It is fixed, the panel looks good. No hassles what so ever. Very pleased with the service.
Old 08-17-2015, 06:20 AM   #11
mavagrand

another UPDSTE: The outside kitchen door has delaminated again, this time on the inside. Called Lazydays, they've gotten approval from Keystone to replace the door, AGAIN. Not a big deal since it's in the shop for painting anyway but I do wonder what's going on with Keystone and these doors. Why are they delaminating?
Old 08-17-2015, 07:33 AM   #12
Ken / Claudia

I know of 2 reasons. #1 your unit was subjected to forced water being driven up into the door panels, say a pressure washer to close, upward angle, to strong etc. #2 likely most common, while the panels were being glued and pressed together, something went wrong. Bad glue, not enough glue, not enough pressure, heat, time used during the process. I did a factory walk thru in Oregon at the Artic Fox co. several years ago and watched the process. During lamination many layers are put together, glued and put thru a press with heat. They made a whole side at a time and than cut out windows, door locations etc. I do not remember if the hatch doors came from that side piece or not. I think they come from a door company. So, if they are from the side panel of your unit the delamb might be else where also due to a bad improper construction.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote