Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 02-22-2011, 11:49 AM   #1
Big Red

Question Satellite Hook up

I am sure this question will amaze people as to how little I know about Satellite hookups.
I have ports on the outside of my 5er that say satellite hookup and they look like you would plug in a cable, I also have a Direct TV HD Dish and a Direct HD receiver. If I hookup the dish to the outside port and hookup the receiver to the TV, does the satelite come through the existing TV cable? And how do I setup the receiver for the area that I am in? I have heard that when turning on the receiver it will ask for a zip code, is this correct?
Hopefully someone can walk me through this.

Thanks
Big Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:48 AM   #2
Jim W

I would use the search function on this forum to do a search on your questions. I know of three post on this subject in the last year that I have belong to this forum. I believe all of your questions will be answered by using the search function.
Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 01:41 PM   #3
mel07green

No, you'll need to hook up some coax cable in addition to the factory wiring. What kind of unit do you have? I went through this recently (nightmare) as nothing was labeled and we had to figure out what connected where and to what using a multimeter.

I would thoroughly recommend a satellite finder.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:05 AM   #4
jq1031

Regarding the zip code part of your question, if you have not set up your receiver with the provider (Direct TV, Dish TV) it askes you for a zip code. That is the zip you will live with no matter where you are. The zip code allows you to pick up the local channels in that area when you are there. My zip was the Tampa FL area, so when in that area I could pick up all the locals, when not, say I was in Chicago I did not receive the locals from my sat. If I went to the weather channel I got the local weather for the Tampa area. At least that is the way mine works. Hope that helps!
PS.......That was a satellite dish on top of a motor home that I sold last summer! I have not decided how to rig up my new Laredo, maybe one of those portable ground domes!
jq1031 is offline   Reply With Quote