Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 12-18-2014, 08:49 AM   #21
sourdough
Site Team

I'm not so sure the younger generation isn't getting it. I think they're really "getting it" (if you know what I mean) but they are too self absorbed, apathetic or busy to know it.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 09:23 AM   #22
B&T

Elvis is in the building
2003 R-Vision Traillite
B&T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 09:47 AM   #23
notanlines

I just read the above post: It's from "Eastern North Carolina B&T about a Montana LLC to register the RV or the TT to tow with the TV." Man, it must be beer-thirty somewhere. By the way, is Eastern North Carolina sorta like South North Dakota?
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 10:06 AM   #24
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
I just read the above post: It's from "Eastern North Carolina B&T about a Montana LLC to register the RV or the TT to tow with the TV." Man, it must be beer-thirty somewhere. By the way, is Eastern North Carolina sorta like South North Dakota?
No, one is a lot colder than the other

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 10:18 AM   #25
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurLuckyPenny View Post
Appreciate all of the comments and feedback. Obviously, other states also charge very high taxes and registration fees to register our rv's. But some don't!

I checked again in our files. We were charged $754.00 sales tax by the dealer (a one-time charge) and $675.40 for license, various taxes and registration fees by the county clerk where we live. The gals in the clerk's office just take the amounts off the computer. It is all set and calculated out of Denver or some other Front Range location.

The gal at the county clerk's office assured us the registration fees would not decrease anytime soon!

There was a lot of screaming and hollering when Colorado jumped registration fees so high, but very little was done to change the situation. So we are paying through the nose for all vehicle, boat, and rv fees.

Of course, they (the politicos) will ask you if you want good highways to drive on to shut your complaints up. The powers that be here let the state's highway go to pieces then play catchup by socking it to the tax payers to get the roads back in shape. Poor management!

Moving to another state is looking better all the time. No one in Colorado will care if we leave. It is a state oriented towards young people and retirees can go jump in a lake. Youngsters are too naive to know when they are getting the shaft, and they will pay willingly for the privilege of living in this state.

Thanks again for all of your comments!
When I lived in Colorado (early '70's) they collected property taxes along with the annual registration, is that not what they do now. The actual registration fee wasn't that expensive but the property tax was a doozy... Especially coming from a state that had dropped the vehicle and boat property tax just a few years before.
Old 12-18-2014, 04:42 PM   #26
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Subscribing because I want to know the difference too.

Decided I didn't want to wait:

http://www.differencebetween.net/mis...lth-and-state/
I read that and Wikipedia. If there is a difference, I don't get it.
I think they just like the sound of it.
Whatever pulls your trigger.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 07:50 PM   #27
Ken / Claudia

Ourluckypenny, what ever you do regarding the high fees(taxes) just keep it legal. When government thinks or finds out your not paying what they think you should, they have cops investigating, seem it, done it, in Oregon and Washington. Example Wa. had 17 state troopers full time checking that Wa residents where not licensing vehicles in Oregon. To do so saved hundreds until arrested.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 03:20 PM   #28
rhagfo

Wow! Here in Oregon, 5th wheels and travel trailers are assessed on length, we pay just over $200 for 2 years on a listed 30', with 60% of that going to the State Parks department.

Correct use for the fee assessed, not sure about the other 40% I think it goes to the DOT.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 07:40 PM   #29
theeyres

Every state is going to get there due one way or another. If you are not full-timing and ready to move residency there is not much you can do. If you try to register your trailer in another state that has lower vehicle taxes you may get away with it but if you get caught...you will be in trouble.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 02:47 AM   #30
denverpilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurLuckyPenny View Post
Help! A few years back, our politicians here in Colorado decided our RV's are made of gold and jacked up our vehicle registration fees to the clouds.

This fall, we went to register our new 2015 Cougar 21RBS TT and WOW! Talk about sticker shock. Over $600 for the annual registration!!!

When we asked if it would go down in subsequent years---no way! It will stay pretty much the same in future years, she told us!

Has anybody figured out how to avoid having to pay these exhorbitant registration fees for their rv's?

My neighbor in Grand Junction a few years back kept his motor home registered in Arizona???

Sure would appreciate some ideas.

Get out of the city. Seriously. Most of that isn't sales tax, it's additional fees that mostly don't exist in the rural counties. You're also paying for stadiums and emissions stations, and public transportation subsidies, amongst other things that we rural dwellers don't. Plus in rural areas you'd likely have land and not have to pay to store the RV.

The other problem is that the State loves their little trick to get around TABOR... Fees. You see, a fee isn't a "tax" and not subject to a vote of the Citizens as mandated by CO law. Road Fee, Bridge Fee, blah blah blah. All stuff the taxes used to pay for.

And CDOT is making sure to sell at least one lane of every new or expanded public highway, to the private for profit toll road companies.

Nobody seems to know where the tax money went nor why CDOT can't afford to maintain roads and bridges without extra fees, but I'm going to hazard a guess that their multiple PR people who moved from *broadcast TV* to take CDOT jobs, probably gives a hint as to how well they're paid. (High!) The rest of CDOT management is similarly compensated. (Front line road workers when not contractors are not as high.)

C'mon out of the overcrowded city. Lower vehicle taxes, lower property taxes, lots of folks who'll vote it down if any of the amateur parade of county commissioners try anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-28-2014, 05:59 AM   #31
kimbashaw

In NY I pay a little over $200 for my 40 foot Alpine. I only register it for 7 months a year, so it would probably be around $250 full time
kimbashaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 05:52 PM   #32
Way Of Life

The IRS is cracking down on both state and federal levels to put a stop to the Montana LLC trick over the past 18 months. Owners were given a grace period to correct the tax issues.....If the owners decided to pass on the opportunity they will face back tax and fees once they are tracked down and caught for their foolish choices.

We pay 5% sales tax here in Iowa with an annual renewal of $267 for our 2015 Fuzion 325.

South Dakota is even better with 4% DMV tax and we were paying $97 on our 2012 Crossroads Cruiser Patriot before our move back to Iowa last year.

South Dakota is one of the best choices for full timers to claim residence with the low vehicle tax and registration and also no state income tax. Drivers license renewal is good for 5 years anday costs $20.
.....and a Yorkie who thinks he rules the world.
Way Of Life is offline   Reply With Quote