Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 12-07-2014, 10:52 AM   #1
Oakman492

How to turn fridge off?

We just got a 2015 alpine with the commercial refrigerator and I'm storing for the winter don't know how to turn it off to leave the doors open.
Oakman492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 11:26 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Your question got moved, so I deleted my post there:

If your refrigerator is like in a house (120VAC), then as long as your not plugged into shore power it's off. Since household fridges weren't designed for RV's, keeping the doors open to avoid mold/mildew may take some doing. Maybe a prop in the doors and some painters tape as it leaves no residue.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 03:21 PM   #3
Murphsmom

We use some of the compressible rods in the front of the shelves while on the road. They keep things from slipping off the shelves when we open the door. When we store the trailer for the winter, I just set them at an angle so the door rests against them and can't close. Just have to remember to take them out and shut the door when you get back on the road.
Murphsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 05:56 PM   #4
hankaye

Oakman492, Howdy;

More information appears to be required.
In the absence of that ... check above the top door, there should be some
lights and buttons one of which should be labeled on/off or O/I. Press it
and see if all the lights go off, if so you have shut-off your fridge. If not
dig into the stack of manuals that came with the RV and search out the one
for your fridge, the information you seek should be in there.

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 06:52 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

I believe your refrigerator is a Samsung bottom freezer, French door model. If so, it should "turn off" just like the refrigerator in your home. Just turn the thermostat control in the top of the refrigerator to off, unplug the refrigerator (to remove power from the compressor heater and the interior lights) and you should be done. If you have an ice maker, clean it out and leave the doors open to prevent mold. You might also want to remove the filter from the ice maker and store it to prevent freeze damage. I'd consider just buying a replacement filter to install next spring. There should be instructions in your refrigerator owner's manual on how to prepare it for storage. There is nothing in the Keystone Owner's manual about any refrigerator other than the LP/electric models usually found in RV's.

Some RV's with residential refrigerators have a 120 volt inverter to provide power to the refrigerator during travel. I am not sure if Keystone installed an inverter and extra battery to power the refrigerator in your Alpine or not, but if you do have this feature, you'll need to turn off the inverter and remove the battery (unless you will have power through the winter) as it will discharge, freeze and likely damage itself in the process. Treat that battery the same as you do the "house batteries" located in the forward compartment.

I hope this helps,

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 07:24 PM   #6
hankpage
Site Team

If you do have an icemaker the line must be blown out with compressed air if the trailer will be exposed to freezing temps. If you use rv antifreeze you will definitely need to change the filter before using in the spring. If you have a washing machine you will have to put some antifreeze in the tub and run final spin to get the pink stuff into the pump, drain hose and trap. (check the manufacturers instructions for winterizing the washer) More than what you asked for but better safe than sorry. When winterizing stick homes we just drape towels over the fridge doors so they can't close. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 05:01 AM   #7
bsmith0404

As already mentioned pulling batteries (unless you keep it plugged in while in storage), turning off switch, turning temp dial down should all shut it off. As for propping the doors open, a few suggestions already given will work. On the other hand, we never propped ours open or the ones at our winter home. We add newspapers and a box of baking soda to the shelves. The newspapers absorb moisture and there is something in the ink that kills any smell. Been doing this for years and the fridge stays clean and fresh. Of course, our new Alpine has the extra clip that goes into the fridge latch that latches the doors for traveling, but does not allow them to close

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 11:30 AM   #8
Ram189

I bought a fridge prop from my dealer. Looks like a deformed dog bone. It worked on my old trailer because the doors for fridge and freezer were together. It slide between them and kept the door propped open.

On the new one the doors are too far apart to use it.

I just park mine and open the doors. As long as I don't need to move it they are fine.

https://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...ps110a0f22.jpg
Ram189 is offline   Reply With Quote