Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-31-2014, 05:42 PM   #1
Annaoinga

Question 2012 Alpine 3450rl

Hi all,
I would love any info on this model please. We found it used at a Camping World and it seems to be well kept. It has a cover and a washer/dryer combo already. Unfortunately the combo isn't vented but I've asked them to swap it for a vented since I've read they are more efficient.

Any items to consider? Things to check for? We are new to this and don't want to make a big mistake!!

We've been focused on new - the warranty and just having everything new seemed so nice but the sites I've been on say buy used to save on depreciation and the bugs should be worked out. Live in it a while to see what it is you really want then upgrade..... I'm not sure I want to go through this process again - it's like a never ending roller coaster ride!

All comments welcomed please!
Thank you,
Anna
Annaoinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 06:06 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

First thing I would check is the weight rating on your tow vehicle. NEVER listen to the salesperson that tells you "you'll be fine". I can assure you that your safety and the safety of others on the road with you is outweighed by the commission he/she will receive.

Once you have determined the maximum weight your truck can tow, and have in the bed, the hunt is much easier. There are lots of threads explaining how to determine your trucks capacities, and I would suggest taking the time to figure out the limits of your truck before you hitch onto a big rolling box, and find out your in over your head.

Good luck with your search, and if you can't find the information, come back and we will point you in the general direction.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 06:22 PM   #3
Annaoinga

Smile Tow weight

Thanks for the advice!

I learned that the dealers tell you whatever will make their sale. I got 4 different weight limits from 4 different dealers so I called Ford and got my limits from them. We are covered for 15550 but have kept the dry weight trailers to under 13000. So we should be good.

We have a short bed F250 Diesel so negotiated an 18K Pull Rite auto slider hitch with the sale - based on input from other forums.

Thanks for the help and keep it coming!

Anna
Old 10-31-2014, 06:36 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Don't use dry weights, use the GVWR. IF you get stopped for any reason and checked, that number is what will determine a ticket/ impound.

Weight towed is one consideration. Another is the total weight In and on the truck. I looked and if I remember right, the king pin on your potential purchase is about 2200 lbs.

What is the rear axle rating? How much weight is going to be in the truck (people, pets, gear, fuel etc. ) BEFORE you add the king pin? Hitch will weigh about 100 lbs too so add it in.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 10-31-2014, 06:52 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annaoinga View Post
Thanks for the advice!

I learned that the dealers tell you whatever will make their sale. I got 4 different weight limits from 4 different dealers so I called Ford and got my limits from them. We are covered for 15550 but have kept the dry weight trailers to under 13000. So we should be good.

We have a short bed F250 Diesel so negotiated an 18K Pull Rite auto slider hitch with the sale - based on input from other forums.

Thanks for the help and keep it coming!

Anna
Many new RV'ers think the same as you, the Ford book says "max trailer 15,500 lbs, so I can buy any trailer that's under that weight. That's simply not true.

If you look at your GVW and the Maximum trailer weight, add them together and you will come up with significantly more than the GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating). You CAN tow a trailer that weighs 15,500 lbs, but only with an EMPTY truck. Every pound you add to the truck (passengers, tool box, etc) must be deducted from the trailer maximum weight.

Your GCWR and your truck PAYLOAD are significant and quite often the two won't work together when you start looking at trailers over 12,000 lbs with a 3/4 ton truck.

Actually, your truck will (does) weigh about 8200 lbs, with a GVW of 10,000 lbs that gives you a payload of roughly 1800 lbs, The empty pin weight of the Alpine 3450 is 2240 lbs, so you're very likely to be 400 pounds overloaded even before you put your wife in the truck and any cargo in the trailer.

I'd urge you to do some very serious calculations using ACCURATE data. You can find the data for your truck on the yellow door sticker (payload and GVW) and the information on the EMPTY trailer can be found here: http://www.keystonerv.com/previous-y...pine&year=2012

Realize also that the pin weight listed at the Keystone website is for an EMPTY trailer without battery, propane and especially the washer/dryer that sit almost directly over the pin. Those items will add at least 300 pounds to the pin weight before any personal items are added.

I really think you're going to be overloaded even with the empty trailer hitched to your current truck.

Good Luck,

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 08:24 PM   #6
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Many new RV'ers think the same as you, the Ford book says "max trailer 15,500 lbs, so I can buy any trailer that's under that weight. That's simply not true.

Your GCWR and your truck PAYLOAD are significant and quite often the two won't work together when you start looking at trailers over 12,000 lbs with a 3/4 ton truck.

Actually, your truck will (does) weigh about 8200 lbs, with a GVW of 10,000 lbs that gives you a payload of roughly 1800 lbs, The empty pin weight of the Alpine 3450 is 2240 lbs, so you're very likely to be 400 pounds overloaded even before you put your wife in the truck and any cargo in the trailer.

I'd urge you to do some very serious calculations using ACCURATE data. You can find the data for your truck on the yellow door sticker (payload and GVW) and the information on the EMPTY trailer can be found here: http://www.keystonerv.com/previous-y...pine&year=2012

I really think you're going to be overloaded even with the empty trailer hitched to your current truck.

Good Luck,
In addition to having to add the weight of all your passengers and anything you put in the bed of the truck - don't forget to add the weight of your 5th wheel hitch - will also decrease the truck's payload.

If you use JRTJH's numbers, you can easily see that you are now at or exceeding the limits and you haven't yet added any weight/cargo to the 5th wheel. By the time you pack your 5th wheel with food, dishes, clothing and all the other camping supplies, propane, batteries, etc., you will be overloaded.

You've got your truck so it might be a good time to reconsider and look at downsizing your 5th wheel.

I think that you will find that most RV'ers who are towing Alpines or other similar-sized 5th wheels are pulling them with a 1 ton- and more likely a 1 t dually.
Old 11-01-2014, 02:27 AM   #7
therink

Yes, ignore advertized tow ratings (the weight a truck is rated to pull). Truck Payload ratings and loaded pin weight are the main factors to use.
Example: A fifth wheel with a gvwr of 12000 when loaded will have a pin weight (20 percent) at 2400 lbs. 15,000 gvwr = 3,000 lbs.
In my opinion, a good rule of thumb is:
Fifth wheel with less than 11,000 gvwr = 3/4 ton truck
Fifth wheel with less than 14,000 gvwr = 1 ton SRW
Fifth wheel greater than 14,000 gvwr = 1 ton DRW

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 01:37 PM   #8
Annaoinga

Oh my goodness!

This is just too much! Thank you all for explaining this - I don't understand why Ford didn't explain it when I talked to them about pulling a fifth wheel!!! I took the number they gave me and went shopping... Another forum told me to try to stay at 80% of our max to cover the cargo we would add to the fifth wheel but no one explained all this other stuff.

I'm sooo glad I found this site before we closed the deal!!!!

With all this in mind what fifth wheel can we safely tow for full timing or do we have to change trucks again?????

Very disappointed and overwhelmed right now,
Anna
Old 11-01-2014, 01:44 PM   #9
Annaoinga

So based on Steve's rule of thumb can you guys recommend a good full timing fifth wheel under 11000 gvw??

Thanks,
Anna
Old 11-01-2014, 02:14 PM   #10
therink

I cant really help you with a full timing model. If it were me and buying used, i would be looking at some of the higher end brands/models with thermopane windows and better than average R values. While Montanas, Alpines, etc are good units I am not sure how they stand with full time use. I have heard Redwood, Open Range or maybe something like this are good for full timing: http://www.lifestylelrv.com/

I will add that rigs really made for full timing are heavy, most over 11,000 gvwr.

Old 11-01-2014, 03:04 PM   #11
Annaoinga

Rv tow check

I tried to use the RV Tow Check program but either I pulled the wrong info or something because it says we can only tow 8000 pounds in a fifth wheel.... I don't think they come that light/small do they?

I must have done something wrong..... Any suggestions please??

We have friends who have F250 diesels and they pull fifth wheels with no problems.... What's up??

My axle ratio is 3.73. My gcwr is 23000. My gcwr is 10000. I haven't weighed the truck but someone hear said it weighs 8200. Putting these numbers in and marking to add a hitch I get 8000 fifth wheel weight.... That's without adding a cargo weight or passenger weights.... What am I doing wrong?

Any help will be appreciated!!!

Anna
Old 11-01-2014, 03:31 PM   #12
therink

Not sure iif you are doing anything wrong. The best way to determine max pin weight for your truck is to load the truck as if full timing. This means passengers, full fuel, all items you would carry in the cab or bed plus add abt 250 lbs for hitch. Take your truck to a scale and weight it. Then Subtract the weight from the truck gvwr and this will tell you what legal capacity is left for the fifth wheel pin.
Remember that the pin weight once you have loaded the fifth wheel, the pin will bear about 20 percent of the total trailer weight. 11,000 lb fiver pin will likely weigh about 2200 lbs. Hope this helps.

Old 11-01-2014, 03:34 PM   #13
chuckster57
Site Team

You'll find lots of people tow huge fifth wheels with single tire 3/4 ton trucks. Is it legal? Probably not. Is it safe? Probably not.

I have been towing a fifth wheel trailer of some nature since 1980 something, and it used to be nobody cared what TV you used. Lots of states are starting to pay attention to us RV people and the potential for revenue based on wrong license and over gross weight.

Here's a simple way to KNOW how much trailer YOUR truck can carry:
load your truck with everything you'll have in it when your hooked on to the trailer including a full tank(s) of fuel, people, gear, tools etc. Go to a CAT scale and get weighed. Then look at the tag on the drivers door and so the math. You need to pay attention to the total weight vs. GVWR and the weight of the rear axle and the rear axle rating.

Most of us that have been "in the game" for a while use and recommend a 1 ton dually as they are much more stable and have higher weight ratings. Along with that, you need to know what the total weight of your rig (truck AND trailer) are, as you may be subject to special endorsements/licenses to be legal.

I'm glad you found this site and are taking the time to get the full picture before finding yourself in a situation that could cause you extreme hardships.

Old 11-01-2014, 03:42 PM   #14
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annaoinga View Post
This is just too much! Thank you all for explaining this - I don't understand why Ford didn't explain it when I talked to them about pulling a fifth wheel!!! I took the number they gave me and went shopping... Another forum told me to try to stay at 80% of our max to cover the cargo we would add to the fifth wheel but no one explained all this other stuff.

I'm sooo glad I found this site before we closed the deal!!!!

With all this in mind what fifth wheel can we safely tow for full timing or do we have to change trucks again?????

Very disappointed and overwhelmed right now,
Anna
Don't despair - there are quite a few 5th wheels that you will be able to pull with your new 3/4T truck but I would not include the Alpine or something of that size and weight in the list of possibilities.

After you have had your truck weighed, as suggested above, re-visit the Keystone website to see what models of 5th wheels might fall within your truck's towing capability. There are a several that just might do the trick.

The Redwood (by Thor) was suggested as a good choice for full-timers and while it is a very nice unit (better than an Alpine IMO) it is just as heavy and quite a bit more expensive. Definitely need a 1T for this beauty.

I guess you have to make a decision about what you want to do: upgrade your recently-bought tow vehicle to a 1T or downsize your RV. I'm leaning to keeping your new truck and downsizing. If you "get rid" of your truck now, you'll probably take quite a $$$ beating. If, after a while, you find that your RV is too small and you need something bigger, then at that time start looking for a bigger tow vehicle. Your new 3/4 T will tow a lot of very nice 5th wheels!

You don't have to do everything at once or right now.
Old 11-01-2014, 03:51 PM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

The ins and outs of towing seem "foreign" and difficult to understand for most new Rv'ers. It's a "mis-mash" of numbers, names, abbreviations and charts that seem to run together with no real meaning.

When you consider the Ford 250, 350 SRW, 350DRW and 450, you must understand that it's the same diesel engine in all of them. The same transmission is used in all but the F450 and with the exception of 3.31, 3.55 or 3.73 rear end ratios, they all are equipped with much the same "dragging abilitiy". That means that your F250 diesel can "drag" pretty much the same weight fifth wheel as the F350 DRW models. The "issue" comes in with suspension capability to "carry" the load associated with the heavier fifth wheel trailers.

You can get the "FORD APPROVED" (and provided) towing guide for the 2015 model Superduty trucks here: http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/g...tyPU_Mar27.pdf

Remember that the 3/4 ton truck is the lightest of the HD trucks, it won't carry as much as the 1 ton SRW and nowhere near as much as the 1 ton DRW models. That does NOT mean that the F250 isn't capable of "Dragging" the heavy trailers, it just isn't equipped to handle them in an emergency or under adverse conditions like mountain driving (downhill) and side winds.

You can carry much more than an 8000 lb fifth wheel, I have a gas engine F250 and regularly tow our Cougar 27RKS which has a GVW of 10K. Our usual "travelling weight" is around 8800 lbs with a pin weight of around 1800-2000 lbs. Our payload is 2700 lbs with the gas engine, the diesel weighs about 600 lbs more than the gas engine, so that would reduce our payload to about 2100 lbs. That would put is at or very near payload with our 30' fifth wheel. There's no way we could carry the weight of a 37' fifth wheel, even though our gas engine has the "guts" to "drag it"....

There is significantly more to towing an RV than having the power to move it forward on the highway. I'd speculate that your diesel is capable of "moving forward with a 40' 18,000 lb fifth wheel. The issues you'll face would be overloaded suspension, blown rear tires, inability to stop or maneuver safely, and heaven forbid you should go over a "rough railroad crossing" at 50 MPH with that much trailer in tow, even though your truck will pull it that fast, it won't be a safe or sane tow....

Hope this helps some, use the guide to get the real numbers, don't rely on any salesman, whether at a truck dealer or an RV dealership. Especially be wary of the RV salesman that says, "Oh you've got a superduty diesel? You can tow anything on the lot" He's not being honest and can potentially put you in harms way while he walks away with a hefty commission from selling you the biggest fifth wheel on the lot..... Don't let him do you that kind of "favor"......

Good Luck,

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 11:48 AM   #16
Annaoinga

Disgusted!

I don't understand why Ford told me we could pull a 15500 fifth wheel and not to worry about hitch weights if that isn't true.

I've cancelled our purchase and I'm done.... For now anyway.....

Anna
Old 11-03-2014, 12:00 PM   #17
Annaoinga

I do appreciate everyone's help and all the info! I don't mean to sound ungrateful at all. You guys saved us from what sounds like a dangerous situation and I appreciate it.

I need to have my husband read all these comments cause he needs to understand too. He thinks we can just go by Fords numbers....

Thanks again and I'll revisit RV trader looking at smaller units but with 3 of us and planning on full timing it I think we will need the dually so we can get a unit with enough space so we aren't on top of each other.

My husband was thinking a F350 that isn't a dually but it sounds like we need the dually for stability.

Thanks again you guys!!!

Anna
Old 11-03-2014, 01:25 PM   #18
chuckster57
Site Team

DRW is the safest IMO. '09 on I 40 at 65MPH. King pin was 1900#, liost a rear tire on the truck. I was able to pull over off the highway with no loss of control.

Old 11-03-2014, 06:16 PM   #19
Annaoinga

What does DRW stand for please?

I'm beginning my search do smaller and lighter 5ers. There are quite a few and they look like the others. I guess the difference is in the quality?? Or is it just lighter materials?

What payload or hitch weight should I be looking for please?

Thanks again! You guys are great!!

Anna
Old 11-03-2014, 06:26 PM   #20
Annaoinga

Is hitch weight and pin weight the same thing? Should I be more focused on hitch weight, payload capacity, or gvw of the trailer?

For example: I found a Cougar high country with gvw 12225, payload 1665, hitch 1735. I know they said stay below 11000 but since the hitch and payload are so low would it be ok?

It's hard to find some of our "must haves" with gvw under 11000... But I am just starting so I'll keep looking...

Thanks,

Anna.