Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2014, 04:56 PM   #1
Javi

Okay Texas folks... Straight from the horse's mouth

I already knew this but after the discussion last week thought it may help clear up some misconceptions if I asked for the information in writing.. So here is the contents of an email from the Texas DPS.

9/9/2014

Dear Mr. Cooper,

Thank you for giving the Department of Public Safety the opportunity to respond to your inquiry.

Exempt commercial licenses are an option for individuals who are wishing to drive a commercial-class vehicle, such as an RV with a GVWR over 26,001 lbs. or towed unit is over 10,000 lbs., for personal use or exempt purposes.

You will have to take the special requirements test (section 14) with a driving test in the vehicle you will be driving. After passing the written exam and driving test, you will receive a temporary Class A permit, and the actual license by mail in two to three weeks.

For more information on a CDL Exempt, Class A license, please visit our webpage.

If you have any additional questions, please call our Customer Service Center at 512-424-2600 or email us at [email protected].

Sincerely,

Kathy S.
Customer Service Representative III

Texas Department of Public Safety
Driver License Customer Service Center
(512) 424-2600

www.dps.texas.gov
[email protected]

We are creating a faster, easier and friendlier driver license experience and a safer Texas
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 05:50 PM   #2
jtyphoid

Does it make sense to make this a sticky?
jtyphoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 06:39 PM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtyphoid View Post
Does it make sense to make this a sticky?
It might, but what about the regulations that apply to all of the other states? If they were identical to those of Texas, it might be worth considering. If not, we would need a whole bunch of stickys to cover each and every state.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:01 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Maybe a "forum" of stickys, one for each state. Yeah 50 entries, but only have to do it once. I think it would be extremely useful for new/prospective buyers.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:12 PM   #5
gearhead

Hmmm
I'll look into it!
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 09:03 PM   #6
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Maybe a "forum" of stickys, one for each state. Yeah 50 entries, but only have to do it once. I think it would be extremely useful for new/prospective buyers.
It would be far easier to make a list of each individual state's website that provides the same kind of licensing information/requiriements that was given to Javi. I would imagine that some of the regs are very lengthy and not nearly as concise as the example from Texas.

Because of the limitations on this site as to the number of characters/words in a single post, there would have to be several stickys in order to accommodate all of the states' requirements. That is one reason why listing the website for each state would be the preferable way of putting such a sticky together.
Old 09-11-2014, 02:09 AM   #7
pjhansman

I might also mention that there are a bunch of provinces and territories in Canada as well, each with their own variation of that same rule.

Just as an FYI....Ontario had almost exactly the same rule as Texas but backed off on it a couple years ago.
MOR/ryde Wet Bolt Kit, TST 507 TPMS, 1000w PSW Inverter, JT's Strongarm Stabilizers, and the list goes on....
Yamaha EF3000iSE/B Inverter Generator
pjhansman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 03:23 AM   #8
Javi

To clarify.... My question was worded

After much searching and research of the requirements as specified in the Texas Driver's Handbook and your own website I'm more confused than normal. So I ask the below question as clarification...

Exactly which Texas Driver's License will I need if I purchase a travel trailer for personal use, which has a GVWR of 12, 500 pounds and pull it with a Ford F-250 which has a GVWR of only 10,000 pounds.
Old 09-11-2014, 05:16 AM   #9
gearhead

GVWR over 26,001 lbs. or towed unit is over 10,000 lbs., for personal use or exempt purposes.
^^^This isn't the way it's worded on the website:

Class A

Authorizes an individual to drive a vehicle or combination of vehicles:
1.Not described under a Class B or Class C driver license
2.With a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds including vehicles in Class B or Class C

^^This sounds like as long as I'm under 26,000 I am OK. The website doesn't say "or towed unit is over 10,000". My interpretation is you have to be over 26,000 AND a trailer over 10,000.
Old 09-11-2014, 05:29 AM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
It would be far easier to make a list of each individual state's website that provides the same kind of licensing information/requiriements that was given to Javi. I would imagine that some of the regs are very lengthy and not nearly as concise as the example from Texas.

Because of the limitations on this site as to the number of characters/words in a single post, there would have to be several stickys in order to accommodate all of the states' requirements. That is one reason why listing the website for each state would be the preferable way of putting such a sticky together.

Okay.. I was just sittin in my chair, nothing good on the tube...

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 09-11-2014, 07:10 AM   #11
gearhead

I just got off the phone with my local Texas drivers license office. "As long as you are under 26,000, you are good". I gave her my numbers: truck is 11,500 and trailer is 12,500. "You are under 26,000, so you don't need any different license."
Old 09-11-2014, 07:22 AM   #12
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Okay.. I was just sittin in my chair, nothing good on the tube...
Not sure if you're still sitting there but here's another wrinkle to ponder IF all of these regs, on both sides of the border, were put into a sticky ......... All of the weights in the USA are in pounds but all of those in Canada would be in kilograms.

So, to make it "simpler" for American citizens who might visit Canada and want to make sure they are "legal" up here, all of the kilograms would have to be converted into pounds. Good grief - it's bad enough trying to figure out what our dollar is worth and how much a US gallon of diesel costs!!

But I do have a proposition for you, chuckster57..........Since there's nothing on TV and you're just "sittin in your chair", how about you gathering all of the data from every official licensing department of each state and province and making up a batch of stickys? In the interests of uniformity, you would also have to do the metric to pound conversions.

Once completed, the only thing left for us to do would be to write a letter, just like Javi had to do, asking for "clarification" on their regulations.

Have a good day. Isn't there a football or baseball game on TV that you can watch instead of creating mischief?
Old 09-11-2014, 07:34 AM   #13
jtyphoid

The Texas language is somewhat confusing, which means that different people can, and do, interpret it different ways. This includes LEO's and DPS personnel.

We need a volunteer with a Class C license to get a ticket when pulling a >10K trailer while under 26K GCWR. The volunteer then needs to contest the ticket, all the way up to the Texas Supreme Court, if necessary, to get a clear ruling.

I already have a Class A non-commercial, so I can't do it, myself.

Any volunteers? 😁
jtyphoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 08:24 AM   #14
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtyphoid View Post
The Texas language is somewhat confusing, which means that different people can, and do, interpret it different ways. This includes LEO's and DPS personnel.

We need a volunteer with a Class C license to get a ticket when pulling a >10K trailer while under 26K GCWR. The volunteer then needs to contest the ticket, all the way up to the Texas Supreme Court, if necessary, to get a clear ruling.

I already have a Class A non-commercial, so I can't do it, myself.

Any volunteers? ��
The way my luck has been going, it would be ME!
But I would be on here asking for donations. lol
Between this and no license plate on front of the Vette I fully expect the FBI to be knocking down the front door.
But wait, there's more....if the fridge in the 5th isn't repaired by tomorrow we are cancelling the trip to the races at Eldora in Ohio. The wife asks "what are you doing about Monday?" HUH? "Jury duty! You told them you couldn't do it because we would be out of state." So I guess the county sheriff will follow the FBI in the door.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:59 AM   #15
bsmith0404

Ok, what's the law for someone with a TX drivers license, an Illinois address and Illinois registration? Do I fall under TX law or Illinois law? Be happy I have Illinois registration, a few months ago I had Wyoming registration.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 09:03 AM   #16
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
Ok, what's the law for someone with a TX drivers license, an Illinois address and Illinois registration? Do I fall under TX law or Illinois law? Be happy I have Illinois registration, a few months ago I had Wyoming registration.
Mmmmmm - another reason why is sticky is looking less likely to happen.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:36 AM   #17
gearhead

It's like stepping in a fire ant bed!
Brent you sound like a pipeliner. Truck with Wyoming plates, living in Texas, born in Louisiana, on his way to North Dakota.
edit: I looked at your profile: Air Force. Thanks for serving.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:38 AM   #18
Javi

I just sent this email to them ...

Recently I emailed customer service with a question concerning the class of license required to pull a travel trailer for personal use.

I was a bit confused about what was required because the language in the Driver's Handbook and on the DPS website seems to conflict in information between classes and I would like clarification if possible.

My wife and I are interested in purchasing a 5th wheel travel trailer which has a GVWR of 12, 500 pounds to be pulled with our Ford F-250 with a GVWR of 10,000 pounds (GCWR 22,500 pounds).

The part I'm confused about is
whether the GCWR is the controlling factor or if the GVWR of the towed vehicle is the controller. The website and the handbook both state that for a Class A non-commercial license... A vehicle or combination of vehicles with a gross combination weight rating (GCWR) of 26,001 lbs. or more, provided the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of the vehicle(s) towed is in excess of 10,000 lbs.

My GCWR of 22, 500 is below the 26,001 pound threshold, but the trailer is also above the 10,000 pound limit.

However the Class C doesn't fit either...

1. A single vehicle or combination of vehicles that are not included in Class A or Class B; and

2. A single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of less than 26,001 lbs. towing a trailer
not to exceed 10,000 lbs. GVWR or a farm trailer with a GVWR that does not exceed 20,000 lbs.

Class B has the same restriction to less than 10K for the towed vehicle..

This is my quandary... My GCWR is 22,500 and my trailer is 12,500 GVWR; how do I proceed... I don't fall within the Class C 10K limit but I'm not at the 26K GCWR either.

The email I received in answer states (see below) which further confused me.. What do I do?

Thanks...
Old 09-11-2014, 10:08 AM   #19
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
It's like stepping in a fire ant bed!
Brent you sound like a pipeliner. Truck with Wyoming plates, living in Texas, born in Louisiana, on his way to North Dakota.
edit: I looked at your profile: Air Force. Thanks for serving.
Thank you. It's always fun to deal with people, they get confused all of the time. At one point we had TX license, NM reg, Wyoming address. We are still officially TX residents, but have a house in NM, currently live in Illinois, just recently switched to Illinois plates, prior to that had WY.....come to think of it, I think I still have a WY address on my TX license. Oh well, that'll all change in a couple months, retiring and moving back to the house in NM. Then I will change my state of residency, get a NM license and NM plates.

It does confuse people who are not used to dealing with the military. My last trip to Canada, my parents and brother in law went through the border with ease (International Falls, MN) with all matching WI stuff, I got the third degree going across in MN with WY plates, TX license, NM address (hadn't gotten the new license with WY address yet). Even showed my military ID and he was still confused about my situation.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 06:37 AM   #20
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Not sure if you're still sitting there but here's another wrinkle to ponder IF all of these regs, on both sides of the border, were put into a sticky ......... All of the weights in the USA are in pounds but all of those in Canada would be in kilograms.

So, to make it "simpler" for American citizens who might visit Canada and want to make sure they are "legal" up here, all of the kilograms would have to be converted into pounds. Good grief - it's bad enough trying to figure out what our dollar is worth and how much a US gallon of diesel costs!!

But I do have a proposition for you, chuckster57..........Since there's nothing on TV and you're just "sittin in your chair", how about you gathering all of the data from every official licensing department of each state and province and making up a batch of stickys? In the interests of uniformity, you would also have to do the metric to pound conversions.

Once completed, the only thing left for us to do would be to write a letter, just like Javi had to do, asking for "clarification" on their regulations.

Have a good day. Isn't there a football or baseball game on TV that you can watch instead of creating mischief?

If I was truly "retired", I would probably take you up on the offer.