Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2014, 06:26 AM   #1
lifecamper

Powerstroke 6.0

I just purchased a 2005 F350 with a 6.0 Powerstroke. It has 135000 miles. I have read all of the blogs about this engine. Any suggestions/help would be helpful. I am saving for the BPD filter anyone know where I can get a good price on it?
lifecamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 06:57 AM   #2
hankaye

lifecamper, Howdy;

Go to BPE's web site and you can order one there, or
find a "certified" installer. I'm headed to Mesa, Az. in
July to get the level 3 done to mine, pricy, yep, takes
a week to do, yep, Worth it ... IMO yep!

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 11:17 AM   #3
Bushman512000

6.0 Power Joker

Had one got it gone after one trip south big joke was on Me went back to the Dodge I was not able to find a Dodge when the Joker showed up I went with a filter and did the install My Self not hard to do bought off line and also did a install for a Man that wanted one also...Get it may save other troubles down the road and good luck with Your new truck...Bushman
Bushman512000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 06:12 PM   #4
Hansel

Congrat's on the truck

I suggest getting involved in a few different powerstroke forums, like Powerstroke.org, The Diesel Stop, and powerstroke nation are just a few.

The 6.0L can be a great engine, but many guys bulletproof the motor with ARP head studs, and delete the EGR cooler, and upgrade the oil cooler.
2003 F-350 CCDRW 2X4 7.3L Powerstroke
Hansel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 08:44 PM   #5
rnkburg

Where are you located. In central KY there is a Ford diesel guru that can make those trucks very dependable and tow like a dream. Of course this comes with a hefty price tag, but from what I hear once he is done, the 6.0 is better than the older ones. I believe the price tag can go up to about 6-8k to get it set up right with all the deletes, studs, tunes, etc...
rnkburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 04:05 PM   #6
Toy Teacher

As others has said the 6.0 can have its problems but with a few things done to them there great... There are a lot of haters out there

At 50k I did a few things to my 6.0 even though it was doing fine... In my normal fashion of overkill

* ARP Head Studs
* Maxxforce Oil Cooler
* Blue Spring Fuel PSI Reg
* Updated HPOP Fitting
* High Flow Turbo Oil Supply and Drain Fittings
* Sinister EGR Delete
* AFE Intake and Air Filter
* Bullet Proof Diesel Water Pump
* Mishimoto Radiator
* Evans Coolant
* Mishimoto Intercooler
* Mishimoto Intercooler Piping
* MBRP 5in Exhaust
* 5in Aero Turbine Muffler
* Mag Hytec Front and Rear Diff Covers
* Mag Hytec Trans Pan
* 6.4 Banjo Bolts
* Boost, Exhaust Temp, Fuel PSI and Coolant PSI Gauges
* Coolant Filter

* SCT Tuner with Gearhead Custom Tunes
"Oh No It's a 6.0"
2013 Ultra Limited
1972 CB500Four Cafe/Brat
Toy Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 08:03 AM   #7
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Teacher View Post
As others has said the 6.0 can have its problems but with a few things done to them there great... There are a lot of haters out there

At 50k I did a few things to my 6.0 even though it was doing fine... In my normal fashion of overkill

* ARP Head Studs
* Maxxforce Oil Cooler
* Blue Spring Fuel PSI Reg
* Updated HPOP Fitting
* High Flow Turbo Oil Supply and Drain Fittings
* Sinister EGR Delete
* AFE Intake and Air Filter
* Bullet Proof Diesel Water Pump
* Mishimoto Radiator
* Evans Coolant
* Mishimoto Intercooler
* Mishimoto Intercooler Piping
* MBRP 5in Exhaust
* 5in Aero Turbine Muffler
* Mag Hytec Front and Rear Diff Covers
* Mag Hytec Trans Pan
* 6.4 Banjo Bolts
* Boost, Exhaust Temp, Fuel PSI and Coolant PSI Gauges
* Coolant Filter

* SCT Tuner with Gearhead Custom Tunes
What was the cost of the upgrades.

I don't think most of us are haters, we tend to warn the uninformed of the potential problems. The wost thing that could befall a diesel newbie is to get a Ford 6.0, and within a month have a head gasket, oil cooler or worst fail. Then they are facing a $5,000 to $15,000 repair bill.

Most of the warning are aimed at those who state "I am new to diesels and I found a great deal on a Ford 6.0 with only xx,xxx miles".

Yes that can be made reliable, but the purchase price needs to be such that it is affordable to do.
Many are also stating they are on a tight budget, which makes having an issues even a greater hardship.

My view is if they need to ask, they should steer clear, I was a Ford man for 42 years, when it came time for a diesel TV, I choose to get a Cummins, even with a Dodge wrapper, the truck has been great both body and engine.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 09:52 AM   #8
Toy Teacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post

I don't think most of us are haters, we tend to warn the uninformed of the potential problems. The wost thing that could befall a diesel newbie is to get a Ford 6.0, and within a month have a head gasket, oil cooler or worst fail. Then they are facing a $5,000 to $15,000 repair bill.

Most of the warning are aimed at those who state "I am new to diesels and I found a great deal on a Ford 6.0 with only xx,xxx miles".

Yes that can be made reliable, but the purchase price needs to be such that it is affordable to do.
Many are also stating they are on a tight budget, which makes having an issues even a greater hardship.

My view is if they need to ask, they should steer clear, I was a Ford man for 42 years, when it came time for a diesel TV, I choose to get a Cummins, even with a Dodge wrapper, the truck has been great both body and engine.
As for the cost I have never added it up... I don't think I want too I do all the work myself so for me it was just parts.
"Oh No It's a 6.0"
2013 Ultra Limited
1972 CB500Four Cafe/Brat
Toy Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 03:28 AM   #9
Flintlock

I too fell into the trap if you want to call it that of buying a 03 6.0 SD - truck was cherry and the price was right - by the book. only 87K on it in 11 when I bought it and did the usual dealer Carfax and maint pull. Local owner local dealer - all looked good. THEN I read all the horror stories about the 6, and wondered wth I may have done.
Since then I have pulled a TT to Yellowstone with only one issue - Intercooler Hose clamp failed - like a explosion! - 15 buck part but a year off my life lol.
This year a ICP Sensor, but nothing major. If its a ticking time bomb I'll just deal with fate as it happens, 62K for new is crazy!!
I wondered if anyone would post who they used to Bulletproof their 6. The guy in GA powerstrokehelp who has numerous Youtube videos has been a big help in knowledge in many ways, but for me that's a haul to go him do the work. There is a place in Winchester KY Thoroughbred Diesel that's close for me. p.s. check out their videos of the 700hp trucks - now I don't want that to haul but power is impressive.
If I'm going to drop 3-8K for something like this I might as well have the best if such exists.

Thanks for the feedback!

Mark & Terry from South Eastern Indiana

2015 F350 Super Duty Crew Cab 8' Dually 6.7 PS
2006 HD FHLRSI
2004 Honda GPScape Rancher
2015 326SRX, TrailAir Tri-Glide, B&W Companion
Flintlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 07:08 AM   #10
hankaye

Flintlock, Howdy;

As I posted earlier in this thread, I took mine to Mesa, Az. and turned my truck
over to the more than capable hands of the folks at BulletProof Eng. on Monday
July 21st. They finished doing a Level 3 (amounted to a short block in-frame-overhaul.
I had it back Thursday afternoon so I could take it on a test drive,went to Payson, Az.
and then back to the motel returned to their facility Friday morning for a
final check over then on my way home. They removed the
stock oil cooler, installed their oil cooler, and the EGR cooler.I opted for the
Cold weather package, heads were removed inspected and replaced with a
re-built set of heads with hardened valve seats and bolted down with APR
studs, they replaced the water pump (OEM has a plastic impeller), with one of their own
making (machined from aluminum billet), they also replaced the thermostat, inspected all
the injectors and replaced the O-rings and the O-rings for the fuel filter housing as well,
oil press. sending unit, they cleaned (glass-bead blasted ), the hot and cold
sides of the turbo, new fuel filters, the Blue Spring up-grade, Improved turbo drain tube,
They checked for and did all of the Tech. service bulletins.
All during the process I received emails with pix to keep me form wearing a path in the carpet,
this was the hottest week of the year in the Phoenix area. That Wed it hit 115*F!!!
I'm truly a happy person now that the truck has a sound engine under the
hood. Mine had gone 111,073 miles when it was inducted into the shop and had 111,257
miles on it when they handed it back to me for my test drive. So, they gave
it a 184 mile test drive to see how it performed, and to see if there were any
leaks drips or errors. There weren't any.

hankaye

Disclaimer: I am only a happy customer, have no other relationship with BPE.

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:11 AM   #11
crash

Sell it as quick as you can before you sink alot of money into it.We had an 06 f350 w/ the 6.0 and it was on problem after another.We have the 08 w/ the 6.4 now and have had the turbos replaced at 150,00 miles($5800) and now at 159,000 the high pressure fuel pump is going out another $3,000 bill I think I may go to dodge/cummins next
2008 F350 chipped and bagged 6.4 power stroke crew cab 4x4.2013 384pk Raptor (Gravy Train) 2006 Fatboy w/18inch ape hangers,2006 883c sporty,Army wife Kim,Cocoa (The Boarder Collie) and Rebel (The English Bulldog) (THE RICH RAGE WAR,BUT ITS THE POOR THAT DIE)
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:56 AM   #12
jsmith948

Why not a Ford (not Navistar) engineered 6.7 L ?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 08:00 PM   #13
LittleJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post

WHat rhagfo says...........its your money and I assume you like to hang on to as much as you can
2014 FJR
2014 Jetta TDI
LittleJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 10:16 PM   #14
DirtyOil

Quote:
I just purchased a 2005 F350 with a 6.0 Powerstroke. It has 135000 miles.
With 135k miles on it, I would believe your purchase will be ok, as suggested look into the different "powerstroke" forums, you'll see that most of the "oil cooler clogging" issues were with trucks with 40k miles or less. Once the 6.0 got past that magical 40k mileage these engines were for the most part trouble free as long as with any other vehicle, the maintenance was done regularly. As suggested, a good coolant filter would be a great investment and piece of mind.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:30 AM   #15
allmi01

Well I have 2 6.0 Fords. An 03 Excursion (early 6.0 build) with 231,000 and going strong and an 06 F-350 with 146,00 which had an injector blow apart so its down to engine work.

If the prior owner(s) did proper maintenance all should be good. If the maintenance was questionable, walk away. That is what caused my issue with the 06. I bought the truck used with 99,500 and the prior owner did not do proper fuel filter maintenance.

As to making the engine bullet proof, yes it can be done. ARP studs ($1200 for the kit with new gaskets) for the heads, changing or removing the EGR / EGR cooler ($figure on $500 for these parts), changing the oil cooler (part is $300), these engines will go 800,00 + miles.

In my case, the 06 is being rebuilt and upgraded. I also have Edge tuners on both of these but never used more than power level 3 (drive) empty or level 2 (tow) when towing. I did get some MPG increase with both. The 03 Excursion is stick except for replacing the exhaust system with MBRP 4" turbo back and I kept the factory cat in place. The 06 will get the same system during the rebuild.

I would not hesitate to get another one. Just do some research on the specific truck maintenance history. International sold vocational trucks with these engines also, without EGR under the VT-365 designation. They work folks, but they need to be driven and maintained.

Mike
Old 08-01-2014, 11:02 AM   #16
Pappydude

I too bought the '05 F350 6.0L - because it was what I needed to tow my 5th wheel and because it only had 57,000 miles on it. I took it to my regular shop to have them enter the info into their computer for oil changes, etc. and the first words out of the owner's mouth - "that's not a 6.0 L is it?" I didn't believe what he was telling me so I went to a Ford dealer - I bought it at a Ford dealer but they were 40 miles away and not ONE word was said about issues with a 6.0L. Ok, so I was finally informed of the issues - then I heard about "bullet proofing"......made several inquiries and had a friend who had his '03 done at a nearby shop. He was pleased with the work done.
I took mine to the same shop, Vision Diesel in Aurora, OR www.visiondiesel.com and although I paid $5,200 to have the work done, I'm very satisfied with the work done and the performance and have relaxed somewhat knowing I've fixed some of the potential issues. I don't drive it much........just turned 60,000 last weekend....but I make sure it gets hot for local trips to keep everything lubricated.......I'd recommend, if in Oregon, the guys in Aurora. I am not affiliated with them or any of their employees - lest someone think I'm pushing their services!
Pappydude is offline   Reply With Quote