Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2014, 08:20 AM   #1
dblanch57

Elec circuit breaker

I just purchased the 2014 Summerland 2020QB. In the AC circuit side of the panel one of the breakers is marked "WH". I have a Suburban SW6D water heater which does not have electric element to heat water. Any idea what the circuit breaker is used for before I go tracing it as much as possible?
dblanch57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:17 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

It probably terminates behind the water heater. In Summerland trailers, a Gas/Electric DSI water heater is an option. I'd suppose that they wire all of them for the option. If you look behind your water heater, where the winterize bypass is located, you'll probably find some Romex that terminates there and isn't connected to anything.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 04:35 AM   #3
dblanch57

Thanks, I will look for that, I might use the circuit to put another CFI plug back by the dinette.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:38 AM   #4
jsmith948

On our Cougar, the circuit breaker labeled HW is also connected to the refrigerator. Shut the breaker off, then check the plug in the outside refer compartment.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 05:13 AM   #5
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post
On our Cougar, the circuit breaker labeled HW is also connected to the refrigerator. Shut the breaker off, then check the plug in the outside refer compartment.
Oh Boy, another project, shut off breakers and see what goes off and/or check plugs with small lamp or meter. As far as refer, put in auto and then throw breaker and see if it goes to Gas. I could not read the scribbling on the breaker labels anyhow
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 05:49 AM   #6
dblanch57

I agree about trying to read the handwriting. I have tried the shutting off the breaker thing but haven't found anything that changed. Weather is cooperating and that will allow me to spend more time in the trailer. Busy time of the year for me.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:37 AM   #7
jsmith948

That's why owning an RV is an adventure! What fun would it be if we could predict what circuit is controlled by which CB

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:56 AM   #8
Bob Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARAPTOR View Post
Oh Boy, another project, shut off breakers and see what goes off and/or check plugs with small lamp or meter. As far as refer, put in auto and then throw breaker and see if it goes to Gas. I could not read the scribbling on the breaker labels anyhow
That's actually a worthwhile project and it doesn't take a lot of time to plug in a 3-light tester and check circuits. Given Keystones shoddy wiring practice of connecting anything to anything, it's just nice to know and in some situations can be a safety issue to know when an outlet or appliance is dead. I just finished sorting mine out in the process of adding the second 30A service and I was appalled at what I found. Shame on you, Keystone.
BTW, if you want to sort this stuff out, Keystone will not give out any electrical information citing concerned for customer safety. I'm beginning to think they just don't know how their workers are wiring these things. Or don't care. If a journeyman electrician did work like this he would probably lose his license.

I'm also going to take my label printer out to the trailer and mark all of the outlets as to what is controlled by what.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote