Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-15-2013, 09:29 AM   #1
Charli

Manitoba Class 3 Drivers License

This is a rather specific subject but am hoping someone who lives in Manitoba will be able to give me some feedback.
I am in the process of upgrading both my truck and trailer. Have sold the Dodge and am looking for an 2011/12 F350. Also looking for a larger 5th wheel. The 5ers we are looking at will put me over GVWR of 10000# and will require me to upgrade my drivers license to a Class 3. I have taken the written test and the medical (which is req every 3yrs till I'm 65, then annually thereafter). I am now able to drive a larger trailer if accompanied by a driver who has held a class 3 for 2 years.
To be able to drive the trailer unaccompanied a road test is required but here's the catch 22. I need the larger trailer to take the test. I can't drive the larger trailer to the testing facility until I have the license. I'm wondering if anyone has a solution for this dilemma, like a place to rent a unit to take the test. I live in Winnipeg. The local RV dealer may drive the unit to the test facility if I buy from them but I don't like having to buy from them.
I also understand I have to get a Safety Certificate on my TV every year. Is this true?
I'm learning all this piecemeal. No salesman tells you this stuff unless you specifically ask the right question.
Charli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 11:43 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

After you purchase your newer RV, is it possible for you to find a friend/neighbor....... who has a Class 3 DL (or greater) and have him/her go to the testing facility with you? Either drive it or accompany you while you drive? Do you know anyone who has a larger 5th wheel (10k+) who might lend it to you for testing purposes?

Our regulations here in BC are most likely similar to those in Manitoba but there isn't much sense in me telling you what our requirements/regulations are since they may be slightly different. Check with your own provincial licensing authorities rather than the dealer about the requirements - you'll get the correct information from them.

I am sure there are plenty of 5th wheel owners of rigs in excess of 10k lbs who are towing them and who (a) can't be bothered getting the "proper" upgrade in their license or (b) don't realize that they have to upgrade their license.

I'd phone the appropriate Manitoba government department and get your answers to any specific questions, like the Safety Sticker requirement, from that motor vehicle department.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:23 PM   #3
gearhead

I don't know a thing about Manitoba, but down here in Texas there are companies that rent trucks to take a commercial test with. It might be overkill but it might be simpler to just get a commercial license.
The companies drive their truck to the test office. Then give you some basic training and tips to pass the test. They basically guarantee you to pass.
May be less complicated.
Like this:
http://www.classacdl.com/
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:19 PM   #4
BobnLee

In Ontario you only need a class G license to operate an Rv. A class G is only good for cars and trucks up to 11,000 kgs. So here is where the problem begins. A fellow has been driving an automobile for 40 yrs. retires and buys a one tonne dually and a 40 ft wheel. Behind that (in Ontario) he decides to pull his boat trailer. No training no CDL required. MTO does not want to see ma and pa in their scale houses. The only exception are the companies that deliver RVs for a living. The have to carry a log book go into the scales and abide by all Commercial laws. I have a CDL and have to do a written test and a physical all at my expense every 3 yrs. At 65 its every year. I think the law makers in Ontario have been hanging around the mayor of Toronto Rob Ford too long
BobnLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:36 PM   #5
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnLee View Post
In Ontario you only need a class G license to operate an Rv. A class G is only good for cars and trucks up to 11,000 kgs.
BobnLee-
Do you mean 11000 kgs or 11000 lbs? 11000kg is about 24000 lbs - that's a lot of weight for a Class G license!
Old 01-09-2014, 06:43 AM   #6
Charli

I'm going to check out some of the Commercial Driver training schools in the area and see what I can arrange and the cost. I know at least one of the local RV dealers will, if I buy from them, drive the 5er to the testing facility for me. I had considered buying from one of the big RV wholesales in the US but at this point I still have a trade which complicates things and the CDN $ keeps dropping making it less attractive although new product at Cdn dealers will be more expensive as well. The local dealer has a nice Silverback in stock and I already have a price from them so that might be the way we go.
Upgraded my TV to an F350, my Christmas present to myself, however when I went to get insurance, even though the truck is rated for 11500#, I had to register the GVWR at 10000# as I didn't have the class 3 license. Once I get the upgraded license I will change the GVW and will have to get a Provincial Safety Cert each year.
This is far more complicated than I thought. Good thing I am retired and have the time.
Charli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:04 PM   #7
BobnLee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
BobnLee-
Do you mean 11000 kgs or 11000 lbs? 11000kg is about 24000 lbs - that's a lot of weight for a Class G license!
Nope I mean 11,000kgs and under but over they need an air brake endorsement
Ryder trucks are registering their moving vans for 11,000kg with hydraulic brakes.
BobnLee is offline   Reply With Quote