Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 12-04-2013, 05:32 AM   #1
PT RV`er

Frameless windows leaking

I was curious to see if anybody else is having problems with the frameless windows leaking. So far the window over the kitchen counter leaks quite a bit every time it rains. I know this because I place a paper towel below the frame on the counter and after a good rain, it`s wet. I`ve done this to all the other windows and thankfully this is the only one. On a heavy rain the water runs across the counter and into the sink. Looks like I`m taking it back to the dealer to see what they can do to fix it.

PT RV`er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 06:42 AM   #2
Fred_Greene

Talk with the dealer you bought the trailer from. If you trailer is still under warranty, this should be covered.
Fred_Greene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 09:26 AM   #3
PT RV`er

Dropped off at dealer yesterday. They will let me know what they are going to do. Hope this isn`t going to be a reoccurring problem.

PT RV`er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 02:13 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Conventional aluminum framed windows have a metal flange that the sealant tape is applied to. This seals the window and prevents leaks. The only "essential difference" with frameless windows is that the glass is "glued" to the metal frame and forms the "lip" to which the sealant tape is applied.

In either window style, the sealant tape is what protects against leakage. With either window, it's pretty much a matter of removing the window, cleaning the flange and RV side of all old sealant, applying a new thread of sealant tape and reinstalling the window taking care to torque in a methodical manner that will allow the sealant tape to be compressed evenly as the window is tightened into position.

The only significant difference in the two styles of windows is that the metal frame windows don't have the glass "glued" to the frame but have a continuous "L" flange. The frameless windows have a square metal frame and the glass is glued to the outer edge of the metal to form an "L". The glue in this joint can loosen and allow the outside part of the "L" (the glass) to separate from the side of the RV allowing the sealant tape to pull away and leak.

They may "look better" but IMHO they are not as "reliable" as the conventional aluminum framed windows.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote