Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 10-30-2013, 01:24 PM   #1
Tavilin2

Smile WI to TX in January 2014

Hi -
We are planning to leave early Jan. 2014 from northern WI with a stiff wind behind us, (we hope). Trailer will be winterized and we are looking for help with our route to Austin, TX.

We seem to find a lot of concrete roads with expansion joints and it is hard on us & the equipment!!

Hope some of you who have done it might help us with suggestions!! Thanks
Tavilin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:42 PM   #2
hankaye

Tavilin2, Howdy;

What were your initial thoughts for a route??
Might prompt some alternate thoughts/routes.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:24 PM   #3
outwest

my two suggestions - take the outer loop around St. Louis, rather than going through downtown. It's longer but crossing the Mississippi on I-55/44 can be a nightmare, what with the way ppl drive there. And be extra careful on hwy south of st. louis - there are a couple of squirrely areas, plus I have seen numerous wrecks south of st. louis, even on straight-a-ways.

Side note - if you are in an accident in Missouri (even one that doesnt involve other vehicles) and you get a traffic ticket in combination with it (officer says you were driving unsafely for conditions, etc.) it becomes a criminal offense and you have to go to court over it My mother found that out the hard way. She hired a lawyer for a couple of hundred and got ticket tossed. So, she didn't have to appear, but...

Safe travels!
outwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:54 AM   #4
Tavilin2

Hi Hankaye -
I am thinking of Wausau to Minneapolis & south on I-35 to Albert Lea & on down to TX.

Keeps me off most of the toll roads!
Old 11-02-2013, 12:33 PM   #5
filmtex
Permanent User Ban

Where in Texas are you headed. I-35 south of Dallas is being completely remodeled-various closed lanes, extremely tight sections, and the usual lengthy traffic jams. Route selection and time of travel is a HUGE consideration between Dallas and San Antonio on I-35. I travel that route a couple times a month and may be of some help to you.
filmtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:00 PM   #6
hankaye

Tavilin2, Howdy;

Tav
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavilin2 View Post
Hi Hankaye -
I am thinking of Wausau to Minneapolis & south on I-35 to Albert Lea & on down to TX.

Keeps me off most of the toll roads!
You'll have to go as bit to the West to grab I-35, Why not just drop South
on I-39 to St. Louis, Pick-up I-255 to go around the South end and stay on
it till you hit I-44W. You might have to pay a small toll on the Okie -Pike but
get off at Big Cabin (It's for real), and head South on US-69. It's a nice drive
and the road is decent, 4 lane most of the way. Let it carry you South and
when it joins up with US-75 keep on going. Keep to US-75 after you cross the
Red River into Texas. You can stay on 75 right into Dallas then grab I-35E
(it runs South it's just the Eastern section), it will join up with I-35W (comes
down from Ft. Worth), right near Hillsboro, Tx. I'm sure if you do a search you'll
find some various State DoT sites that can give you some up to date information
about road / repair locations and 'expected dates of completion. Most States are
getting fairly good at that stuff now days.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:01 PM   #7
outwest

^ 75 does have some sections in between Atoka & Red River that are really bouncy. I'm thinking next time I drive it, I'm going to stay on Indian Nation Turnpike all the way to Hugo, then on to Paris.

2012 Keystone Vantage 32FLS
outwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:07 AM   #8
Tavilin2

Route to TX

Hi -
My thanks to all of you for your route ideas. They will give me some options as we get closer to departure. Our final destination for this leg of the trip is Georgetown, TX. - Tom
Old 11-18-2013, 06:51 PM   #9
gearhead

I used to drive from Houston to NW Arkansas a lot. That stretch of HWY75 between Dallas and I-40 always wore me out. I think I would stay on I-44 then I-35 out of Oklahoma City to Dallas to Austin. Just time your arrival in Dallas to avoid morning/evening rush.

See if this helps:

http://roadnow.com/
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:02 AM   #10
geo

Various thoughts on all this . . . Just drove some of the described routes below between Dallas and Howe, IN in August.

The interstates THROUGH St. Louis are horrible and totally under construction (I-44/I-55). Avoid at all costs! And I understand I-270 around the north side is under construction. Yes, the I-255 around the south side of St. Louis is probably the best advice.

Illinois roads are horrible!

Missouri roads - especially I-44 - are wonderful!

The Will Rogers Turnpike (I-44 between Tulsa and Joplin) is in good condition. However, there is a lot of construction on I-44 in Tulsa itself. Recommend taking the Creek Turnpike around Tulsa on the south side. That will take you to the Turner Turnpike entrance near Sapulpa.

The Turner Turnpike (between Tulsa and Oklahoma City) does have some construction on it, but it is not bad. St. Louis is horrible, Illinois is horrible and bad, but the Turner is not bad.

I-35 in Norman, OK south of Robinson Road and on to south of the South Canadian River is under construction and bad. There are some "wiggle" turns that are difficult with any RV greater than 33'. But the plus is that it is only about 6 miles of construction, and if you avoid rush hour and "game days", it is OK. Just take it slow.

Now, if you decide to try to get to Dallas down US-69 and US-75 . . . There are usually speed traps around Stringtown, OK and the Atoka/Tushka, OK area. There is construction on US-75 in the McKinney/Allen, TX area. US-380 between McKinney and Denton, TX is heavy traffic, but better than going further south into Dallas! (Links to I-35W).

(On Edit): Come to think of it, US-82 between Sherman and Gainesville is not bad. Just hit a little construction at I-35 in Gainesville, but it is relatively minor. And there is a nice RV park in Sanger off I-35: Wagon Master RV Park.

However, if you do continue to Dallas: I-635 (LBJ Freeway) is all under massive construction between US-75 and I-35E. I-35E is under construction between Loop 12 and LBJ, and new construction on I-35E is starting between LBJ and US-380 in Denton (32 bad miles). If you do continue down into the Dallas area, just stay on US-75 and when it turns into I-45, just stay on it until you reach I-20, then head west. Very heavy traffic on I-20 and some construction, but it does get back to I-35E where you can head south again. Oh, the "Horseshoe Project" on I-30 and I-35E on the south side of downtown Dallas is just starting - avoid the area!

Anyway you cut it, probably the best route is to get to the I-35 split in Denton and go down I-35W through Ft. Worth (avoid NASCAR race days!). Some little construction, but it will get you to Hillsboro and on south on I-35 to the Austin area.

Basically, write off Dallas driving! I ride the train!

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:51 AM   #11
thewhitehat

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavilin2 View Post
Hi -
. . . Our final destination for this leg of the trip is Georgetown, TX. - Tom
Hey, that's my neck of the woods! Actually, there ARE small areas between Waco and Georgetown where the road (I-35) narrows to 2 lanes with cement barriers on each side, but it's just for a short distance, and the road surface is not really that bad. I've taken my rig through there a few times, with no problems. The thing I always try to do is:
  1. Drive it on a Sunday morning, if possible
  2. avoid rush hour during the week (6:00 a.m to 9:00 am and again 3:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.).
wife, son, new dog, me

thewhitehat is offline   Reply With Quote