Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2013, 01:40 PM   #1
COATED

Bum Steering?

So,

I have a 04 F250 6.0 towing a Raptor 332ts (had it just a few months and love it).

Anyhow,

Even w/my prior TT I've always seem to have a little bum steering but w/a bigger trailer now I really noticed it on a long trip I took this weekend. Looking for some suggestions on what could be causing it. Obviously less noticeable at lower speeds but at 55-65mph it really becomes more noticeable and having to keep my damn truck straight and in the center of the lane I'm driving in. Really drifts left and right and I'm fighting to keep my truck center.

Anyone experience something similar and if so what is the fix?

Thanks!
COATED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:24 PM   #2
zuley

It's fine to guess at what your problem is but none of us are qualified to diagnose something such as what you are describing without getting the vehicle on a rack and having a visual. If it was a goat I'd be suggesting your centre link. However, I'm suggesting you have a problem with your steering linkage. Needs to be looked at by a qualified technition.
zuley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:27 PM   #3
SAD
Permanent User Ban

What is "bum steering"?
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:42 PM   #4
byrdr1

500.00 fixes it. I had the same thing, it's the steering arms and the heavy bar that crosses from one side to the other. That's how mine got fixed. Hope this steers you in right direction. (No pun itended)
Randy

Randy Sent this!!

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:25 PM   #5
Roller4Tan

Too much pin weight ??? Just guessing... Is truck level when towing?
Roller4Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:45 PM   #6
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by COATED View Post
So,

I have a 04 F250 6.0 towing a Raptor 332ts (had it just a few months and love it).

Anyhow,

Even w/my prior TT I've always seem to have a little bum steering but w/a bigger trailer now I really noticed it on a long trip I took this weekend. Looking for some suggestions on what could be causing it. Obviously less noticeable at lower speeds but at 55-65mph it really becomes more noticeable and having to keep my damn truck straight and in the center of the lane I'm driving in. Really drifts left and right and I'm fighting to keep my truck center.

Anyone experience something similar and if so what is the fix?

Thanks!
You've used the word "bum steer" twice... Which is close to, but not actually a correct term to describe a problem. You've also described wandering.

Please take a moment to describe the symptom you're experiencing in detail.

Is it drifting wandering - requiring steering corrections - but not generally related to specific event which upsets the attitude of the suspension? Failure to easily return to on-center after turning moments..?

Or is it drastic steering corrections directly related to a specific event of attitude change in the suspension? IE, driving over the crest of rolling terrain where the suspension wants to jounce, and subsequently rebound... Where jounce causes the vehicle to want to dart one direction, and jounce causes it to want to dart to the other direction...

This will help us help you.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:10 PM   #7
hankpage
Site Team

Without even looking at your rig ... I would guess that it may have something to do with over 3200 lbs pin weight empty. That will beat the duty out of your super duty very quickly.
Or if your garage is loaded too heavy your pin weight may be too light. (but not likely)
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:56 AM   #8
richf28

The f-250 truck is very particular when it comes to steering. It only takes a minimally worn part of any area of the steering assembly and you will have your bum steering feeling. Even an alignment being out. Some years even had steering box bushing problems causing it.

Rich and Deb
Erie, PA
2011 Ford Screw with Ecoboost
2010 Keystone Hornet 28RLS
Hensley Hitch
richf28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:07 AM   #9
COATED

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrdr1 View Post
500.00 fixes it. I had the same thing, it's the steering arms and the heavy bar that crosses from one side to the other. That's how mine got fixed. Hope this steers you in right direction. (No pun itended)
Randy

Randy Sent this!!
After doing so more research....I'm 90% sure this is what is causing it....

FYI,

'Bum (or also known as 'bump') steering' is when driving a vehicle there is a certain amount of 'play' in the steering. You have to steer the vehicle w/a more degree of difficulty trying to keep it center. The vehicle once to drift either right or left...or (in my case) both ways instead of easily controlling the vehicle in the center of the road. Not necessarily a dangerous problem...just more of a pain in the @!# problem. Hope this makes since.

The truck is for sure level (also have air bags). Not an alignment issue.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:31 AM   #10
SAABDOCTOR

EVERYONE HERE Has given you good advice but one gave you great advice. take it a good mechanic (not the cheapo stores) have the front end confirmed and as stated your pin weight maybe too much for your truck. Air bags level they do not allow you to carry more weight then the truck is rated for.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:03 AM   #11
COATED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABDOCTOR View Post
EVERYONE HERE Has given you good advice but one gave you great advice. take it a good mechanic (not the cheapo stores) have the front end confirmed and as stated your pin weight maybe too much for your truck. Air bags level they do not allow you to carry more weight then the truck is rated for.
FWIW: For sure having the work done by specialty shop....was just looking for some advice/diagnosis on this forum to see if anyone has or had the same problem w/their tow vehcile... Not having any towing/pulling issues. My truck tow's this 5ther like a dream. WAY better than my old pull behind that I've had for the last 10 years.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:15 AM   #12
Ken / Claudia

Since you do not say has it bum steering when empty, than the trailer would have to be thought of as a cause. I have had bum steering when the truck was overloaded in the bed and the front axle was to light. Before spending money at a shop, if handy run the combo over a scale and scale truck by itself. My truck has 200-300 lighter front axle when towing current trailer but, steering as if empty as well as all other handleing of the truck.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:16 AM   #13
GaryWT

Could be a ton of things but my guess is not enough weight on the front end or not enough tread on the tires.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:21 AM   #14
Ken / Claudia

Gary has a good point, over inflated front tires will cause drift and bounce add this to a light front axle and it gets worse. 2 things to check without spending money.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:30 AM   #15
tileman

Maybe take it to the http://catscale.com/
And see what your front end axle is.

Could not hurt well worth the money spent.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:41 AM   #16
COATED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
Since you do not say has it bum steering when empty, than the trailer would have to be thought of as a cause. I have had bum steering when the truck was overloaded in the bed and the front axle was to light. Before spending money at a shop, if handy run the combo over a scale and scale truck by itself. My truck has 200-300 lighter front axle when towing current trailer but, steering as if empty as well as all other handleing of the truck.
While empty/not towing it does have same steering issues; as I mentioned in my original question. Just not as amplified when towing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryWT View Post
Could be a ton of things but my guess is not enough weight on the front end or not enough tread on the tires.
Brand new tires. (Hankook MT's, 10plys Load E's).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
Gary has a good point, over inflated front tires will cause drift and bounce add this to a light front axle and it gets worse. 2 things to check without spending money.
60 psi all the way around. Check my tires before every trip

I need to figure out how to put my TV/5hter info into my sig like the rest of you folks. For now here is what I'm running w/

2004.5 Ford F250 6.0.
6" Fabtech w/Bilstine 5100's
Hankook 315/75/16's MT's Load E
Airbags
Superglide 18/20k

2014 Raptor 332ts
Brand spankin new w/Blowmax tires!
Old 10-30-2013, 12:15 PM   #17
Ken / Claudia

Sorry, I did not read anypart of your post saying it is a problem when empty.
I think it is time to see a shop about the front end steering equipment, no matter how much weight you have or have not on the front axle, it steers bum.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:34 PM   #18
SAABDOCTOR

DID YOU HAVE THIS PROBLEM BEFORE THE HANKOOKS? IF NOT YOU MAY HAVE A BUM TIRE(S) THEY ARE A GOOD BRAND BUT EVERY NOW AND THEN SOME BAD ONES GET OUT OF THE FACTORY. GOOD LUCK
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:48 PM   #19
COATED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABDOCTOR View Post
DID YOU HAVE THIS PROBLEM BEFORE THE HANKOOKS? IF NOT YOU MAY HAVE A BUM TIRE(S) THEY ARE A GOOD BRAND BUT EVERY NOW AND THEN SOME BAD ONES GET OUT OF THE FACTORY. GOOD LUCK
I did have this problem prior to the new tires.

Let you fellas know in the next couple weeks what the fix was.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:54 PM   #20
hankpage
Site Team

With over 3200 lbs pin weight your tires are under inflated at 60 psi on an F250. Brand new M/S tires may add a little squirm to your already "bum" front end. Take it to a good front-end shop and then hit the scales with it. I think you will be surprised at how much you are over weight.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote