Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Full-timers & Snowbirds
Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2013, 07:39 PM   #1
Mij

New to seasonal camping

My family and I just buttoned up our first summer of seasonal camping at a local campground and have had a great summer. Its like adding another day of camping cause we rarely leave on Sunday by 4pm. Sundays are very odd watching all the weekend campers packing and loading while we enjoy the day and arrival is even better, unload the food we brought for the weekend, get the golf cart out and enjoy. At this point we are considering purchasing a camper a bigger camper cause I don't have to tow it. I am sure its not everyones cup of tea but we cant say enough about it..
Old 10-23-2013, 01:54 AM   #2
Javi

Glad you enjoyed the camping but you're correct in saying a seasonal ain't for everyone. The DW and I enjoy the variety of towing to a different destination several times a year.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:40 AM   #3
yeabuddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mij View Post
My family and I just buttoned up our first summer of seasonal camping at a local campground and have had a great summer. Its like adding another day of camping cause we rarely leave on Sunday by 4pm. Sundays are very odd watching all the weekend campers packing and loading while we enjoy the day and arrival is even better, unload the food we brought for the weekend, get the golf cart out and enjoy
X2... this pretty much sums up our summer too. Isn't it great!?
We're next to Devils Lake State Park... where about are you guys?
Old 10-23-2013, 07:41 PM   #4
Mij

We are at Oneil Creek Campground just north of Chippewa Falls. Activities, Activities, Activities! Teen and family VBall Tourneys, Horse show and Bag tourneys, outdoor movies, teen dances, bingo, meat raffles, mini golf, tubing, car show weekend, Halloween weekend with a haunted trail, and site decorating contests. I honestly don't miss the tow and the surprise of who your neighbor is for the weekend. We have enjoyed many a Packer game this year on outside and even the Badgers on a Sat nite with half the neighborhood sitting around a fire that I will soon not forget We have some great friends camping there as well that we look forward too catching up how the workweek went and hanging out at each others fire pit.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And honestly never used the camper as much as we have this year. We probably missed 3 weekends from mid June to October.
Old 11-16-2013, 04:37 PM   #5
Tuggersmom

We are seasonal campers, too! We didn't think we'd like to be stationary for so long, but we love to camp every weekend and we work during the week. We had a pop up for so many years, that once we got the TT and started hauling each weekend, it was exhausting trying to find new places to go all within 2 hours of home on a Friday night. We were always setting up in the dark and breaking down earlier to head for home on Sunday. It has become an ideal solution for us for now--getting the best of both worlds.
Tuggersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 10:00 AM   #6
mikell

13 degrees tonight so winter is here not above freezing for the near future. Across the state so the wifes headed home then maybe maybe me later depending on what the Dr says.
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:14 AM   #7
mikell

They lied it only got to 20 last night no problems stayed warm
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 01:05 PM   #8
LABSRUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mij View Post
My family and I just buttoned up our first summer of seasonal camping at a local campground and have had a great summer. Its like adding another day of camping cause we rarely leave on Sunday by 4pm. Sundays are very odd watching all the weekend campers packing and loading while we enjoy the day and arrival is even better, unload the food we brought for the weekend, get the golf cart out and enjoy. At this point we are considering purchasing a camper a bigger camper cause I don't have to tow it. I am sure its not everyones cup of tea but we cant say enough about it..
We just signed our camping contract for the 2014 camping season and we can't wait to start our new adventure as seasonal campers! We fell in love with the campground in Door County, WI about 4 years ago while camping in our pop up. The set up and take down got so old for us. Not to mention the washing and care of the canvas material. We went really big this time and our new camper is almost 35' long. I can understand you wanting to get a bigger camper since you won't have to tow it. Sure you'll have no regrets!

Julie & Scott and our 2 Chocolate labs - Hailey & Harley
2013 Ford F-150 Ecoboost crew cab short box with cap
2014 Springdale 311REGL - Seasonal campers
2008 Harley-Davidson Ultra Classic Electra Glide
LABSRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:27 AM   #9
Lost

My Wife and I are also seasonal campers and love it. We used to be weekend or week campers but as already stated it became such a hassle setting up and taking everything back every weekend. We have been to numerous campgrounds over the years until we found Old Orchard campground near Oscoda MI and fell in love with it. For us we both love fishing and the reservoir is outstanding for fishing. Many days in 4 hours we have caught 30+ small mouth bass. We have a lot thats right on the water with a beautiful view. Most of the water front lots have become seasonal and we can reserve our lot from year to year as long as we stay on that lot for 90 days the previous summer. That being said we know who is going to be our neighbors for the entire summer. All the seasonal campers around us keep a eye on their neighbors trailers when there not home so it's a big peace of mind knowing someones looking after your stuff. A lot of seasonal campers don't go there for fishing but for ATV sports ... There is a ATV park across the street with hundreds of trails.
Over all we found the perfect spot for us and it saves alot of gas not pulling the trailer back and forth every week.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:09 AM   #10
LABSRUS

We had a 28' travel trailer in the past and the gas mileage just floored me! It's going to be great driving up to the campground with my Outback instead of our truck when we don't need to bring much up. It's a 4 hr. drive.

Old 01-12-2014, 03:39 PM   #11
Mij

Cold blast

Well hoped everyone survived the cold blast we all had over the holidays. April will be here soon but until then camper shows to go to and enjoy.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:27 AM   #12
LABSRUS

Smile

We have just about gathered everything we need for our 1st season as seasonal campers. I'm sure we'll find more items that we will need as our season starts, but for now I'm wondering about one particular item.

What does everyone do to stabilize their trailer for staying in one spot for a long time? We have power jacks and will set them on wood or cinder blocks, but what to put behind or between the wheels?

Old 02-25-2014, 03:50 PM   #13
x96mnn

Went seasonal my first season and traveled for a few years after that. Going back to seasonal this year to cut down on travel and looking forward to the extended Sundays.
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:47 PM   #14
GaryWT

We were seasonal for 11 years but the kids grew and the campground changed so we travel now and like that. We use to love Sundays as everyone left and we would use the pools. After dinner on Sunday we would have a family swim before heading home. We went seasonal to camp more when the kids were busy with everything. We loved it but we love traveling as well, I love towing the trailer.

We had our trailer on blocks so it was very stable.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:06 AM   #15
TAZ23

Quote:
Originally Posted by LABSRUS View Post
We have just about gathered everything we need for our 1st season as seasonal campers. I'm sure we'll find more items that we will need as our season starts, but for now I'm wondering about one particular item.

What does everyone do to stabilize their trailer for staying in one spot for a long time? We have power jacks and will set them on wood or cinder blocks, but what to put behind or between the wheels?

We use X-chocks between the wheels and it keeps trailer movment to a minimum, and also use some form of wheel chocks on the ground in front of and behind the wheels. We also found that on a large trailer like you have a set of jackstands set just before and after the axles will help to keep frame flex to a minimum (takes most of the spring bounce away) We bought our jack stands (set of four) at walmart for less than 30 bucks 2 years ago. Others may have differant methods or opinions, but thats what we do.
TAZ23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:26 AM   #16
safd18fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LABSRUS View Post
We just signed our camping contract for the 2014 camping season and we can't wait to start our new adventure as seasonal campers! We fell in love with the campground in Door County, WI about 4 years ago while camping in our pop up. The set up and take down got so old for us. Not to mention the washing and care of the canvas material. We went really big this time and our new camper is almost 35' long. I can understand you wanting to get a bigger camper since you won't have to tow it. Sure you'll have no regrets!

What campground are you seasonal at for this year? We are in Door County as well. This will be our first year seasonal at Frontier Wilderness near Egg Harbor.
safd18fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:29 AM   #17
yeabuddy

LABSRUS,
We lower the stabilizers onto a small piece of lumber placed on top of cinder blocks. Stack them as high as possible, the less distance between the blocks and the frame, the less bounce and more stable the trailer will be.
We stack cinder blocks topped with treated lumber under the frame in front and back of the axles for additional support as well.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:35 AM   #18
LABSRUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by safd18fire View Post
What campground are you seasonal at for this year? We are in Door County as well. This will be our first year seasonal at Frontier Wilderness near Egg Harbor.
We are in Rowley's Bay at Wagon Trail Campground, near Sister Bay.
We toured your campground but wanted more privacy between the sites and less activities. Enjoy your location!