Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-15-2013, 06:00 AM   #1
Lrdchaos

Outback/laredo cold weather camping question.

I'm new to the forum and have a question for owners of either the laredo 303tg or outback 323bh. It will be used mostly during the summer months at the lake. However, I plan on doing some fall and winter camping as well. It will probably make a few trips to Colorado and New Mexico. My question is.....How well does the enclosed underbelly work? I'm wanting a camper I can use down into the low 20's if I want to. Thanks in advance for you comments.
Lrdchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:31 AM   #2
Outbackmel

Good morning from Atlanta

First: I have a 2011 Outback 329FBH. We keep her in the GA mountains on site outdoors when not traveling. We try to go south or west each winter for at least 2 months. When the forecast is below 30 degrees. AND we are not in the RV, I run anti freeze through the system. Takes me 30 minutes to do all with the adapter from CW for the pump.
When we travel through cold areas, like Texas, in Jan/Feb, we DO NOT use the water system. We prefer bottled water for ease of use for overnights. Generally we pick good reviewed parks with good bath facilities for showering.
We do use our holding tanks by dumping anti freeze in them. Does not take much to prevent freezing.
Once we are at a place we are going to be, heat on, no problems. The only issue is to ensure sudden ice cold nights do not freeze the water hose hooked from the park source to youf RV, or water in your plastic source tank which IS exposed.
There are numerous mods you can do and you will receive a ton of advice here. Pick and choose based upon your camping needs.
Most of the owners here have cold weather experience.
Enjoy. Be prepared and experiences will be not as stressful. Like carry xtra rv anti freeze
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:25 AM   #3
therink

X2 what Outbackmel said.
I have camped using the rv water systems when nighttime temperature went down as low as 25 and daytime temps well above freezing. I would not push it any further than that. The "Arctic barrier" or what ever you insulation package is called is mere marketing tool used by most manufacturers and it does not mean anything unless the rv was built with true 4 season insulation. This can be found in high end brands. I don't believe any keystone models fall into this category.
Steve

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:18 AM   #4
Bob Landry

I have to agree with Steve. The "Arctic Barrier" is an ad gimmick and I wouldn't rely on it solely for suitability. You have to look at the R values of the floor, wall and roof insulation to really know where you're at. Even if you do that, there is a certain amount of assumption that these are truthful representations of the trailer's construction and not merely another advertising gimmick. Sorry to appear so cynical, but the reality is that any manufacturer is in business to sell product and you can't always be sure if all, if any, of the advertising is completely truthful. What you can do is go with what you have and do everything possible to make it stand up to the conditions you are going to be in. If that can't be done, move on to a product that you think will not cause you those type of issues. There are many out there..As much as I enjoy my Outback with it's "Arctic Barrier", I would not trust it in extended periods of sub-freezing camping, and like Steve, would be hesitant to push any Keystone product to those limits.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:06 AM   #5
SAABDOCTOR

I'm with Bob on this one.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 02:14 AM   #6
dave-g

I agree will all the above- but would add its a changeling for 95% of the rv made. Now I use mine (325srx) in the fall and wake to 20 degree weather with- out doing a thing- I even saw 17 degrees once- ( that was some thick frost) I was dry camping- had a small generator running with the heat on- which on my model also heats the under belly-
But it had AWAYS gone above freezing- (usually 40+) during the day.

If thats you idea of cold weather camping you will be fine- if its below freezing for days- you will have challenges- and need to add skirting to keep the bottom warmer.

Good luck
KTM 300 xc-sold
ktm 450 exc-r
dave-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:43 PM   #7
ktmracer

we regularly camp in our outback 295RE in temps in the mid to low 20's at night and the mid 30's in the day without any issues. In reality IMHO they outbacks along with many other trailers are really "3 season" campers, really not set up for winter.

However, one mod we did that IMHO really helps is to use a hole saw to cut some 1/2" dia holes in the heat vent pans. That vents warm air into the underbelly. I have a thermometer in the underbelly and it stays very close to the interior temp, so no real issue with freezing any water connections. In our case, the bedroom heat vent is between the fresh and black tank, the kitchen heat vent is between the galley and head grey tanks.

the next limit is going to be the furnace. My guess, is that once temps stay in the 15-20F range, the furnace is going to be running almost full time.

If cold weather camping is important, look at the west coast edition of the Keystone Cougars. The latest ones I've seen have foam insulation in the ceiling, and a much better insulated underbelly and sidewalls. IIRC they have thermopane windows either std or as an option. the claim is they can be used down to 0F.

2004 Silverado CC/SB/ 4x4 Duramax
Pace 14' bike hauler with full living quarters
ktmracer is offline   Reply With Quote