Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2013, 11:55 AM   #1
woodie

5th wheel hitch

We've bought a 2014 Cougar HC 317rls 5th wheel and will be towing it with a 2013 Dodge Ram - 6 1/2 ft box. We have to buy and install a 5th wheel trailer hitch and though I'm sure there's probably quite a few choices and prices I'd appreciate it if anyone can give us recommendations and approximate cost we would be looking at. We don't pick up our trailer until the end of August so we've got a bit of time to check things out.

Thanks in advance of your help & advice
woodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:22 PM   #2
wacdmc

I have the B&W Companion and love it. I don't have any experience with other hitches so I can't really compare. The best thing about it is not having the brackets in the bed all of the time. Installed I paid around $1400 or so - I don't remember the exact amount.

You may want to research your tires before you take delivery. The Tow Max ST tires are known for blowouts. My fifth wheel is in the shop for $4400 in repairs from a Tow Max blowout. Just my two cents...

Good luck with your new camper.
wacdmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:55 PM   #3
Jim Dow

5th Wheel Hitch

I too installed a B&W Combination hitch; and I am very happy with it - no rails in the truck bed. My installed price was a little over $1100 - including the electrical connection to the trailer.

Also, I added a combination diesel fuel tank (45 gal) and tool box - low profile. That included an electric keyed fuel pump with a quick disconnect for about $900 installed. That gives me over 600 miles and allows me to pick the fuel stop. I'm fairly new at pulling a big rig.

Since I'm not as athletic as I used to be, I added a short crane to the back of the truck bed - Harbor Frieght $129 installed.

Enjoy your rig!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Truck F250.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	3744   Click image for larger version

Name:	TruckToolboxHoist.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	3745   Click image for larger version

Name:	Montana High Country.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	3746  
Jim Dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:22 PM   #4
Dhuhn

I have a pullrite hitch love it its comes completely out of the bed so I have complete use of my bed with out rails left in it was around $1500 installed with plug in for trailer in truck bed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	3750  

2016 Montana 3720RL
2015 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD Duromax :

previous
2012 Montana High Country 313RE
2012 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duromax
2010 Palimino Bronco
2005 Chevy Silverado CC 1500
Dhuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:25 PM   #5
Pmedic4

Good information about 5th Wheel hitches

I too recently got our first fifth wheel, and of course when it came time to select a hitch, essentially the dealership said this is our lowest cost hitch - you want it? My assumption was if this is the lowest cost, what are the other choices?
About the only thing I found out was there are 3 different types of latching mechanisms; Slider bar, double jaws, and wrap around jaw. For a few hundred dollars more, the salesman convinced me to get the wrap around jaw hitch. Really don't know if that was the best choice?

Since I already have a hitch, doesn't seem like we'll change, but there really needs to be some better knowledge about this important part of towing.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:44 AM   #6
antiqfreq

We have the Pull Rite hitch, with automatic slide.

We purchased ours about six years ago - don't remember the price.

But the DH installed it himself.

Jo

ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:01 AM   #7
PND

We have a 2012 Silverado with the short box (6 1/2 feet) and installed a Pullrite Superglide. When not towing, pull 4 pins and I have my bed back. Bought hitch and mounting kit on line, about $1500, and had dealer install mounting kit to my truck - $300 (let them bore the holes in the bed), installed the rest myself. Super easy!! Have ordered Pollak kit PK11893-11932 for in bed plug (not yet arrived). Truck came with wiring for camper/5th wheel, but it is too short to reach to back of bed. Perfect if you have a camper -not for a 5er.

PND
PND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:26 AM   #8
Jim W

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodie View Post
We've bought a 2014 Cougar HC 317rls 5th wheel and will be towing it with a 2013 Dodge Ram - 6 1/2 ft box. We have to buy and install a 5th wheel trailer hitch and though I'm sure there's probably quite a few choices and prices I'd appreciate it if anyone can give us recommendations and approximate cost we would be looking at. We don't pick up our trailer until the end of August so we've got a bit of time to check things out.

Thanks in advance of your help & advice
Hi welcome to the forum.

What model of 2013 Ram truck did you buy a 3500HD/2500HD? Also did you order the towing package on the truck? This will make it easier to answer your questions as the 3500HD if ordered with the towing package, the frame has attachment points for hitches and a goose neck option and there is a 7 pin connect outlet in the bed.

Please provide more information on your truck.

Thanks
Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:32 AM   #9
dankent

I had mine thrown in the deal and they gave me a Husky 10 Composite Glider with a 4 way 16 W head on it ... it looks seriously heavy duty in the back of my truck .. hehe I havent tried to move it yet. My parents told me cause of the 88 degree cornering on the cougars i wont need the slider .. but its allways good to have just in case. The composite slides cuts down on movement noise when on the road ... i dont hear anything. Not sure how good it is .. I havent seen anyone using them.

Even though i got it thrown in the deal , I did see the bill that went from service to sales, and it was 2200 parts and labour +tax. But I really have no idea what they cost.

Good luck.

Current:
2014 Keystone Cougar 333MKS

Sold:
2012 Keystone Sprinter 255RKS
dankent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:35 AM   #10
DieselMatt

I just purchased a Curt sliding 16k. So far it has been great! I know a lot of people say that you don't need a sliding hitch with a short bed, but I like the peace of mind it offers me. I bought the hitch off ebay and then bought the installation rails from etrailer.

TV - 2006 F250
TH - 2008 Fuzion 362

DieselMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:37 AM   #11
DieselMatt

Forgot to add the pic. Here is what it looks like.

TV - 2006 F250
TH - 2008 Fuzion 362

DieselMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:50 AM   #12
Nick & Gia's Trailer

5th wheel hitch

I currently have a Reese 16K with manual slider. As stated may not need slider with the Cougar, but it's there for peace of mind and if needed. Can be taken out to free up truck bed by myself. Love Ford with the mounting brackets and holes pre-installed.

I had a Pullrite auto glide in my Chevy. worked great but would not fit in new Ford.
Reese 16k slider 5th wheel hitch
Nick & Gia's Trailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:34 AM   #13
PND

Nick,

I believe all need was to get the mounting kit for your Ford and the Pullrite would have worked. Not sure what your new hitch cost but the other route may have been cheaper.

PND
PND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:50 PM   #14
rnkburg

I just bought a new to me truck and it had the b&w gooseneck in it. I had just purchased the b&w patriot for my other truck. I found a curt x-5 fifth wheel adapter that drops into the gooseneck ball hole and locks. Giving the truck rails for the patriot hitch, or any other rail brand hitch. Drop the patriot on there and good to go. When I need the bed I just pop them out. Works great and have the empty bed when needed and also the gooseneck ball as well.

I bought the x5 on amazon and the patriot from tweetys

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
rnkburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:21 PM   #15
TheProcrastinator

My first hitch, so I just have about 1.2 cents worth of an opinion here...

I have an F250 with a 6ft bed. I had the dealer throw a SuperGlide in with purchase. At first, the dealer said I'd never use it since my Cougar has the small-box friendly front ends, but I end using it every single time I back the thing into the driveway. I think my trailer allows for 60 degree turns, but I know I've had it at near 90 once or twice.

It's an extra cost, but you only need to forget, or go too far, once before you have an insurance bill with a short bed...

I've actually met others at camp grounds and I know I've "sold" several people on the SuperGlide as well after they've seen how it works.

As others have stated, an extra fuel tank is something you may want to look into as well. I picked mine up on CraigsList for a few hundred. I can go 5-600 miles while my father-in-law, with a newer Chevy Diesel can go about 200 before he's starting to look for a stop (he refused to keep his speed under 60mph).
TheProcrastinator is offline   Reply With Quote