Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2016, 09:04 PM   #21
bobbecky

When ordering a trailer with the optional G614 tires, they use the same 6 inch wide wheel, that is rated 110 psi and 3750 lbs, and they work just fine. We have had the G614s for several years on our 6 inch wheels with excellent service. Just be sure to get the all metal high pressure stems.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 02:20 PM   #22
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RdRmr View Post
The Marathons I have, have six ply's on the tread and two on the side wall. All the China tires I've seen are all short one nylon ply on the tread, only five total. How they can get a ten ply rating, "D" load range with five or six actual tread ply's is beyond me.
Because of the rating system.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 02:38 PM   #23
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridge4d View Post
And fast forward 1 year, this is what happened to one of my OEM Trailer King tires this past weekend while heading out of San Antonio on I-10. I looked out my rearview mirror and saw all types of stuff coming out of my wheel well and then my tire pressure monitor went off. I've got an appointment tomorrow to replace the remaining 3 Trailer King tires. After that, I'll be trying to figure out how to patch the hole in my wheel well.
Looks almost identical to what happened to my Trailer King; going on 3rd summer. I guess it just wasn't meant to last more than 2 Good choice in dumping them. If you still can, get the manufacture code off the side and see where in China they were made.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 06:40 PM   #24
bridge4d

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Looks almost identical to what happened to my Trailer King; going on 3rd summer. I guess it just wasn't meant to last more than 2 Good choice in dumping them. If you still can, get the manufacture code off the side and see where in China they were made.
Shandong province in China.

2018 Montana 3731FL Legacy
2017 F350 Dually
bridge4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 02:40 PM   #25
CraigB

Thumbs down I don't care where they're made!

We have a 2013 Montana that came with Marathons. After 3 years of short trips we retired in April and hit the road. After 4 months and 3k miles I have blown 3 of them. Never gave the 4th one a chance. Replaced with SAMSON GL 285 T "G" rated 14 ply tires. Marathons should not be on anything heavier than 10K GVWR IF AT ALL! I don't care where they're made, until Goodyear changes the specs they'll still be crap.
Just to be clear...Knowing that they were marginal, I checked the pressure and checked for bubbles or separation prior to each trip. Shame on the RV industry for using marginal parts like these tires and letting Norcold and Domestic get away with their lack of quality refers.

CraigB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:35 PM   #26
gearhead

Little Mom & Pop tire store here in town highly recommended the SAMSON. Said the hot shot guys pulling big goosenecks like them. The SAMSON website ain't much.
Let us know how you like them later...
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:54 PM   #27
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridge4d View Post
Shandong province in China.

My failure, JRTJH's failures and many others if I recall originate with the tires made in Shandong province. How do we dodge this? I don't know. I have made a personal decision that a Trailer King/Power King etc. tire will not be on any trailer I own or anything else made in Shandong province. Don't know that will eliminate the problem but it appears it would surely help.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote