Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2013, 07:04 PM   #1
Andymon

TT tires vs TV tires

Reading about TT tires, I wonder why TT tires don't have the dependabiility that truck tires have. I mean, why can't I get 50K miles from TT tires??

08 Springdale 266RLSS
99 F250 PS 7.3 Diesel
Medford, OR
Andymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:28 PM   #2
diugo
Permanent User Ban

Simply put, scale and moolah.

Most ST tires on the road are on non-RV trailers, like boat trailers, that don't usually see a lot of miles per year. On top of that, most RVs aren't really driven a huge amount either. So in both cases, there's no reason to engineer high mileage into the tread. Those owners are quite happy replacing them every 5-7 years.

Now, the tire makers could make the larger ST tires for high-mileage RVs last much longer. But those rich RVers seem pretty willing to spend billions a year on replacement ST tires. So why eat the goose that lays the golden eggs?
diugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:14 AM   #3
Jim W

Because they do not need to meet FMVSS 139 act ST tires were exempt from this regulation. And remember when trailer manufactures buy them they are usually from the lowest cost bidder and usually made in China or another third world country.

Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:22 AM   #4
Jim W

Quote:
Originally Posted by diugo View Post
Simply put, scale and moolah.

Now, the tire makers could make the larger ST tires for high-mileage RVs last much longer. But those rich RVers seem pretty willing to spend billions a year on replacement ST tires. So why eat the goose that lays the golden eggs?
No some trailers like the Hitch Hiker by Nu-Way offer LT235/85R16G tires as standard. But I did not want to spend $80K + for one so I installed LT tires on my 318SAB Cougar.

Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:33 AM   #5
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andymon View Post
Reading about TT tires, I wonder why TT tires don't have the dependabiility that truck tires have. I mean, why can't I get 50K miles from TT tires??
Special Trailer (ST) tires are not designed as mileage tires. They are age-out tires. The best advantage from the shallow treads is heat dissipation from the tire carcass.

The great majority of ST tires have short warranty coverage’s of 2-4 years from build date or date of purchase.

The life span of the average ST tire is 3-5 years. That’s a figure right from their builders. Anyone towing a trailer with ST tires over 5 years old is on borrowed time.

If a prospective buyer knows right from the start they are going to travel in excess of 7-8 thousand miles a year they should insure the vehicle manufacturer/dealer installs mileage tires before completing the purchase agreement.

CW
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote