Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 06-18-2013, 06:48 AM   #1
Springer

Patching Walls and Ceilings

What have members used in the past to patch small screw holes in the ceilings and walls? I just swithched some light fixtures over our bed to the reading lamps and now have a few holes I need to cosmetically fill in.

Thanks in advance.

Springer
Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:12 AM   #2
gregrc75

I was going to try to use some ivory or tan colored caulking in the holes. I saw it at the home center with the tile grout. Just put a dab in the hole and it should disappear.

Greg
2022 Cougar 25RDS
2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD gas
Fairhaven, MA
gregrc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:10 AM   #3
Springer

Thanks Gregrc.
That was one idea along with the old toothpaste trick (though I haven't seen any tan toothpaste lately). The real trick is getting the stuff to match as closely as possible. I may try to do a littlie combination of the tan and white and use a syringe to apply.
Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:22 PM   #4
f6bits

I've been using caulking recently. It's good enough from a few feet away. What catches my eye up close is the surface, not necessarily the color. Holes need to be smoothed, and the caulking needs some roughing up.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:49 PM   #5
Fastback

I have been using some hole filler I bought at HD. It comes in a tube it is white and can not see it on the ceiling. I use the same thing on the walls and work it in with my thumb. My 5th wheel is older and I have found it blends right in. However, it you need to color it you could go to Michael's or other craft store and get some small containers of paint and see if you can match.
Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:46 AM   #6
hankaye

Howdy All;

A lot of my friends that tye flies use Sharpies to
make color changes to some of their flies... a plethora
of colors to choose from ....

http://www.sharpie.com/enUS/Pages/sharpiemarkers.aspx

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:38 AM   #7
michol02

I'm always filling in screw holes made by some mod that didn't work out. I use little containers of wood filler found at hardware store or Walmart next to the stains. I have several different colors(from light to dark). I mix a couple or few together until I get the right color. If it still don't match, I have some "stain pens", found in the same section as the filler. Before I fill the hole, I use a small blunt object(like a 1/4" ratchet extension or a blunt tip punch) to push the bulging or frayed rim of the hole flat. If you need it to be textured to match the wall or wherever the hole is, you can "imprint" an object over the filler before it dries. I've used a piece of cloth with a similar texture to the wall. I just put it over the filled hole and pressed down(or use a roller), then removed cloth and "brushed" the edges to blend it in. Sounds like a lot of hassle, but there's some holes I've filled that are undetectable unless you're just inches from them.

Visit Mods album in my profile
michol02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:34 AM   #8
KanTC

Ditto, what michol02 does.

DH does woodworking & builds furniture as a hobby, and the (pre-stained) wood putty/filler is great
for patching small nail/screw holes, etc, in the RV walls too.

When we took delivery of our (brand new) Laredo, someone had installed the toothbrush holder on the
wall above the vanity/sink... not a big deal, except that it was only about 3" above the counter top -
much too low for a toothbrush to 'hang' as intended. The knucklehead!!!

DH patched the screw holes before our first trip, and (until now) I'd forgotten about that *goof-up*!

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote