Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2013, 05:37 AM   #1
Quiroule

Thumbs down Carpet removal

I would like to remove the carpet from our FW and lay Allure flooring over the entire floor. My concern is about the toilet.

I don’t have it yet, but if I remember correctly, the Allure flooring is a about 3/16 of an inch thick. That would raise the toilet by that much. I have never removed a VR toilet and wonder how I could re-install it higher than it originally was.

I would appreciate any advises.

Thanks

2018 Ford F150 XLT

Your children and grand-children will not remember what you did for them, they will remember what you did WITH THEM.
Quiroule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:03 AM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

If you would be removing the vinyl flooring at about 1/8 in. the difference would not be that much. You also may be able to raise the toilet flange and put your new flooring under it.(< Probably the best and correct way) If it makes you more comfortable use a new seal when resetting the bowl. Either way it should not be a problem. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:30 AM   #3
hankaye

Quiroule, Howdy;

By all means, take plenty of pix along the journey .....
I've been thinking about doing the same myself.
I'd replace the wax gasket (toilet seal), anytime the
commode is lifted off of it. Best way to get a leak is to
NOT replace it they never re-seat themselves
properly. Just my opinion, but I never had a leak for doing
it either.

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:55 AM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankaye View Post
Quiroule, Howdy;

By all means, take plenty of pix along the journey .....
I've been thinking about doing the same myself.
I'd replace the wax gasket (toilet seal), anytime the
commode is lifted off of it. Best way to get a leak is to
NOT replace it they never re-seat themselves
properly. Just my opinion, but I never had a leak for doing
it either.
Hank, Most rv toilets use a rubber seal designed specifically for that toilet and because of the thin plastic bases will loose the seal with wax because of movement while traveling. The other Hank
Old 06-09-2013, 04:44 PM   #5
Quiroule

Is the the toilet flange the same size as a house toilet?

2018 Ford F150 XLT

Your children and grand-children will not remember what you did for them, they will remember what you did WITH THEM.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:15 PM   #6
alien_scones

You might find these useful...

RV Doctor - Rubber or Wax RV Toilet Seal?

RV Toilet Repair – How To Fix That Problem Toilet

LMGTFY
alien_scones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:36 PM   #7
michol02

Been thinking about gutting the carpet in the living room area. I just don't know if slides would scar wood laminate flooring when sliding in or out.

Visit Mods album in my profile
michol02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:27 AM   #8
Kristi

Quote:
Originally Posted by michol02 View Post
Been thinking about gutting the carpet in the living room area. I just don't know if slides would scar wood laminate flooring when sliding in or out.
Our 2650bh came with carpet only under the slide, the rest is laminate, here's a pic I found on the web.
Attached Images

Kristi & Jeff
2014 Cougar 313 rli
2013 F350 king ranch
2014 passport 2650bh (sold)
2009 GMC 2500HD 6.6L 4X4 (sold)
Kristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:03 AM   #9
Quiroule

Why would they put carpet is beyond me.

I have carefully planned the carpet removal and the only thing I am not sure about concern the toilet. I would have to raise it by about 3/16 of an inch. I know I can get a spacer for that at a local plumbing supply dealer, but they are made for household toilet. If the flange is the same size, then I will go for it.

I have never removed an RV toilet, so I would like to know if it is the same size.

2018 Ford F150 XLT

Old 06-12-2013, 06:32 AM   #10
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiroule View Post
Is the the toilet flange the same size as a house toilet?
Same size? Yes 3" but it may be a different design since the rv toilet does not have the same horn on the bottom. Because of the rv design it is easy to simply remove the screws that hold the flange and lift the flange up high enough to slip your new flooring under and replace the screws. On a TT with a straight drop into the black tank there may not be enough slack in the plumbing to do this but with most FWs using two 45° fittings there is slack, so no need for extension. RV bathroom doors are usually at least 1" off the floor so there should be no clearance problem there either.
With the water turned off ... using a flashlight while keeping the flushball open, you can see how the rubber seal and flange are positioned since there is no trap on a RV toilet.. Hope this helps, Hank
Old 06-12-2013, 06:39 AM   #11
Quiroule

Thanks for your help hankpage, I will check that soon as I can.

2018 Ford F150 XLT

Old 06-12-2013, 08:11 AM   #12
f6bits

I'm itching to replace the carpet in the slide. If someone's found a link with pictures of a slide during a carpet removal, I'd love to see it. The carpet forms a flap, plus there's that bit of carpet along the main floor with probably also forms a flap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michol02 View Post

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:31 AM   #13
Quiroule

I too would like to replace the carpet on the slide. But to remove the part of the carpet located under the slide I would have to remove the slides as the carpet is tuck under a piece of metal I can’t get to. Then I could probable fix something for the inside edge of slide’s floor. For now, I have to keep enough of the carpet to be able to staple it to the floor so that it’s not rolled under the slide as the slide goes out.

2018 Ford F150 XLT

Old 06-15-2013, 12:11 PM   #14
AnolaBob

Carpet at edge under the slide

Hey,
Lucky enough to have our floor split from front to back. Took some good advise from here and will be going to Luxury Vinyl Flooring (LVF). The concern is the carpet on the stationary side is held down by a piece of rubber ~3" wide and the length of the slide out.

Anybody figure out how to get the carpet from under this strip of rubber?
2013 Ram 2500 Cummins Larimie Longhorn
2013 Can Am 1000 XMR, T4S tracks and 2011 XTP quads, snow plow
'68 Chevy Pickup w/502
Bud and Blu, the black dogs
AnolaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:24 PM   #15
turbopilot51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiroule View Post
I would like to remove the carpet from our FW and lay Allure flooring over the entire floor. My concern is about the toilet.

I don’t have it yet, but if I remember correctly, the Allure flooring is a about 3/16 of an inch thick. That would raise the toilet by that much. I have never removed a VR toilet and wonder how I could re-install it higher than it originally was.

I would appreciate any advises.

Thanks
I installed the Allure Ultra in my family room, kitchen and laundry room at home. It is advertised as the easiest floor to install. This was the hardest project I have ever attempted at home. The Allure was a nightmare to install and keeps coming apart in various areas. Now the flooring is starting to fade where the sun hits it. It is only six months old! I will never install any product from this company again. Buyer beware!
Always looking for more power, the next add-on goodie, the perfect camping spot, spending more time camping with dw.
turbopilot51 is offline   Reply With Quote