Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2013, 08:51 PM   #1
Branky

Adding motor on landing gear.

Hello all,
I have a 2012 Cougar 297RKS and find the moter running the landing gear seems to be working hard, or at least harder than I like. My buddy has an Alpine with a motor on each leg and they seem to work less than mine.

I have researched it and learned (as expected) the curbside is a "Follower leg" and Drivers side is a "Lead Leg".
Lippert says there will be no issue and I can get the motor, switch and leg from the dealer and the dealer says others have done it. The wiring is not an issue, I have all the correct size wire, fuses etc. from other projects I have done.

My question is, does anybody else feel like I do and has anybody done it?

Thanks in advance for the help!!
Victoria, BC, Canada
Proudly Rving since 1978
Branky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:02 AM   #2
PerryB

My motor audibly pulls down a fair amount but has worked fine so far (since Apr.2010). Its been to Alaska and back,Canada and back and Iowa and back twice. You might say we use our trailer quite a bit! I have thought about doing your proposed modification, but more for the purpose of ease of leveling. Every time I look at it, I talk myself out of it due to (1) a lack of a good place to put the second switch and (2) cost/ effort required to install an item that really isn't needed-in my opinion. It would be a pretty cool mod if you could have rocker switches side by side. Maybe a stand-alone switch panel?
PerryB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
curside, landing gear, leg, replace