Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2013, 07:01 PM   #1
BlindGuyNAR

Dang it! Warranty issue on brand new 346lbq

Not sure how this got past quality control at the factory. I suspect someone at the factory noticed it and passed it rather than fix it.

I've got to talk to my dealer about a warranty claim due to craftsmanship I guess.

At first we didn't think we had a heater vent in the front bedroom due to poor heating. I even installed the heat strip in the front AC to help with heat. Well we found the vent and a problem.

Had the unit about a month and have only two nights in it so this kinda sucks.

The vent was installed like two inches to far over and the bed slide roller comes to rest directly over it. The roller has already broken through the vent. Of course air flow is restricted as well.

I think the Vent will need to be moved at least two inches over and the hole left where the vent was either filled or reinforced somehow to handle the weight of the bed with occupants in it. If moved there will be missing carpet, but it will be under the bed and not noticeable. Of course the vent will also need replaced.

A couple of pics to explain issue. This is the side of the bed towards the foot of the bed. The entire bed moves in/out with slide.

BlindGuyNAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:06 PM   #2
SlowPoke

That's just one of those new bedwarmer options they didn't tell you about...Did that come with the Polar/Arctic package??

Just kidding, that sux! I would certainly expect warranty to cover it. I would certainly be on the horn with the manufacturer to get them to resolve under warranty.

Let us know how it goes!

2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT Crew Cab w ith 2013 Keystone Passport 3180RE

SlowPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:06 PM   #3
PerryB

I wish I had under-bed heating. Now I'm jealous!! I think the engineering staff must have had a liquid lunch the day your trailer was built. I see what you mean about having to figure out how to restore the support factor for the bed. Thats going to be the biggest part of the job, in my opinion.
PerryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 02:50 PM   #4
Bob Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryB View Post
I wish I had under-bed heating. Now I'm jealous!! I think the engineering staff must have had a liquid lunch the day your trailer was built. I see what you mean about having to figure out how to restore the support factor for the bed. Thats going to be the biggest part of the job, in my opinion.
If that's how the idea originated, then I would submit that the Keystone design team has a LOT of liquid lunches. I swear they must sit around at happy hour and come up with ideas that they can laugh about and them implement them on the production floor.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:01 AM   #5
IdahoSRT10

I'm thinking their cure will be worse than the problem you have now. I'd ask for cash back to fix it yourself. (cut a custom vent out of 1/4" steel plate with a track built in).
08 Viper SRT-10 Coupe
10' Cyclone enclosed car hauler
IdahoSRT10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:15 AM   #6
Bob Landry

Unfortunately more problems make it off the production floor of any manufacturing facility than we care to think about. they operate on an acceptable failure percentage, and in most cases, it's easier(and cheaper) to let it out the door and deal with it later as a warranty issue than to shut down an entire line to fix a single problem. That would also apply to a unit that is being built according to a specified ship date, and they have to get it out right or wrong.I see it all the time in the marine industry, which is sad because the customer has to put up with the aggravation of paying big $$$ for something that has to be fixed before he can use it, or it breaks down on the first trip.

I would fix it myself i order to get it right, but I'm pretty much a handy man and I understand a lot of folks are not.I can imagine how a dealer would fix something like that. The carpet would have to come up because in order to relocate the register, some of the flooring will also likely have to come up because you may have to do some creative sheet metal duct work.
The main issue is that it needs to be fixed one way or another. Propane furnaces, like air conditioners, are designed to operate at a given CFM of air flow. A restriction, such as created by what you have, can cause overheating issues including fire it it's severe enough.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:07 AM   #7
michael

that option wasnt available for my 2012 model

2008 Ford F250 Super Duty Crew Cab 4x4
V10 Engine, axle 4:10 ratio
8ft box SRW

10x10 Screen room.

Let It Happen Campin.
michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:57 PM   #8
BlindGuyNAR

I really don't think it will be that hard to fix.

The vent spans alum trusses. Just remove vent. Cut back carpet. Jigsaw over a few in. Add a cross brace of alum and a patch of same size plywood over the cross brace. They just enclosed those two trusses with a sheet of alum to create an air duck so nothing real creative involved there.

I actually saw some extra carpet that could be used to patch that is excess on the backside of the stair runners.

It boils down to the bed needing to be dismantled to get at the area and me not wanting to do it on a new unit. Also if I mess it up the fix its on me and if they screw it up its on them.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:49 PM   #9
BlindGuyNAR

Dealer sent picks to Keystone. Hope they don't mull it over to long. I bought when I did for price and time to get her ready for a big trip.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:04 AM   #10
byrdr1

Vents are in the right place they misplaced the bed on its slide.

I can understand this might be how you feel.

randy
On edit, I two have the very small wheels that allow my bed to move back and forth with the slide. and then I sleep on them and I am a big guy. I have been wondering when they will break.

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:45 AM   #11
BlindGuyNAR

Keystone wants to either move the bed base over and reattach top to compesate for base movement or make a bracket to offset wheel from vent.

I took the vent out and reinforcement would be harder than I thought. There is a alum cross brace in the way and without removing bed there really isn't any access to weld/attach anything with out a fire danger to reenforce old hole. Plus the ducting would be harder than I thought.

So reluctantly I think moving the vent would be more trouble than it's worth. Even though it's the "right" way to fix.

Moving bed over and reattaching top isn't a bad idea and makes the vent usable. Would only need to move an inch or two. I was thinking of replacing that king with a sleep number queen anyway so even less of an issue.

The offset wheel would work if it were reinforced enough.

Since cutting new holes isn't likely I'll probably just fix it on my own.

I'll keep you posted with results.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:42 PM   #12
byrdr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindGuyNAR View Post
Keystone wants to either move the bed base over and reattach top to compesate for base movement or make a bracket to offset wheel from vent.

I took the vent out and reinforcement would be harder than I thought. There is a alum cross brace in the way and without removing bed there really isn't any access to weld/attach anything with out a fire danger to reenforce old hole. Plus the ducting would be harder than I thought.

So reluctantly I think moving the vent would be more trouble than it's worth. Even though it's the "right" way to fix.

Moving bed over and reattaching top isn't a bad idea and makes the vent usable. Would only need to move an inch or two. I was thinking of replacing that king with a sleep number queen anyway so even less of an issue.

The offset wheel would work if it were reinforced enough.

Since cutting new holes isn't likely I'll probably just fix it on my own.

I'll keep you posted with results.
I was just kidding!!! BUT WOW!
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
Old 03-24-2013, 06:17 PM   #13
BlindGuyNAR

Well she's fixed.

I moved the base over about 1.5". The base is secured to the slide only at the head with 3 screws per side. New floor register. Had to drill holes in the register as I couldn't find one pre-drilled. I moved bed decking to compensate so it centered in the slide. I doubled the bed decking from the underside on the side that hangs over more than the other. Added some extra bracing where the hinge is as well. It is rock solid now.

There was a wooden slide guide just laying in the floor under the bed badly screwed to the carpet. Not even screwed to the floor decking. Just the carpet. I made it function as it should. It keeps the bed true while going in/out.

While I was there I replaced the bed decking at the head of the bed to match the width of the decking for the rest of the bed. I have the king option and the decking at the head was sized for queen while the rest is wider for the king. I think this really is just how the king option is done. Anyway I had some leftover 1/2" maple plywood from another project so that is what was used. I think original was only 3/8", but this was close enough for government work

Cost me 2.5 hrs and about $13 (not counting scrap lumber used from personal stock).

Much cheaper than 2.5 hrs to dealer drop off and return home. $60 desiel. Then in a few days/weeks repeat process and desiel cost.

I know the fix is quality work, it is better than dealer would have done, it is upgraded from before, stronger, cheaper, and I learned what my bed looks like inside now. The air flow is still very weak so I'll need to continue to use aux heat strip i installed in front AC.

Pretty happy with how it turned out. I am starting to wonder about the build quality on this unit.

Another funny story that pretty much seals the story on the workers drinking during my build. After I weighed on the cat scale I tried to locate the weight tags to compare with and I couldn't. I looked everywhere. I called keystone to ask where they were. When they said front drivers side I said they were missing. She didn't believe me. I texted her a pic of the empty area. Within 45 min they called me back with tracking numbers for an overnight air letter that would contain the weight stickers. They requested I take another pic with stickers applied and send back to them.

I assume it's a big legal issue to have not applied those at the factory. To bad I didn't notice the bed issue until afterwards. i might have gotten some real action on a fix it while I had them over a barel!
Old 03-25-2013, 05:19 AM   #14
byrdr1

Great job, update with some pictures of the slide in its new place.
thanks, randy
PS we all should know how these are put together it possible.
I fixed my bed wobble myself also. looking at replacing my sink and counter now. due to my problem on another thread.

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
Old 03-25-2013, 04:10 PM   #15
BlindGuyNAR

A few pics as requested

New register that clears roller.

Left side

Right side

Extra support on left side