Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2013, 10:10 PM   #1
raytronx

Trojan 6 Volt Batteries Cougar Fifth Wheel Install

I added to the standard 12v deep cycle battery that came with the RV with 2 of the T-105 Trojan Six Volt golf cart type batteries. This update more than tripled my amp hour capacity from 85 ah to 310 ah and gave me a very robust dual battery bank system. I added a battery switcher with disconnect and hooked the dual 6v bank to an inverter.

Details of the upgrade/mod are on my blog including a short video detailing the install.

Cheers Ray

2011 Keystone Cougar 276RLSWE
1994 Ford F350 7.3L IDI DRW

LoveYourRV.com
raytronx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:35 PM   #2
Comptech

Ray,
What size is the vent hose? I want to pick up a T so when I add my second battery I can do what you did..

2012 Cougar 330RBK
GVWR 12,265
2004 Ford F-350
Comptech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:38 PM   #3
raytronx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comptech View Post
Ray,
What size is the vent hose? I want to pick up a T so when I add my second battery I can do what you did..
The hose is 1 3/4 inside diameter

LoveYourRV.com
Old 03-06-2013, 08:17 AM   #4
Comptech

Great

2012 Cougar 330RBK
GVWR 12,265
2004 Ford F-350
Comptech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:00 PM   #5
5mary6

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytronx View Post
I added to the standard 12v deep cycle battery that came with the RV with 2 of the T-105 Trojan Six Volt golf cart type batteries. This update more than tripled my amp hour capacity from 85 ah to 310 ah and gave me a very robust dual battery bank system. I added a battery switcher with disconnect and hooked the dual 6v bank to an inverter.

Details of the upgrade/mod are on my blog including a short video detailing the install.

Cheers Ray

Did your white battery box come with a vent?

PullRite Superglide 16k
Revolution kites

Previous RV

2012 MVP Sonoma SE 23bh
5mary6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:50 PM   #6
raytronx

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5mary6 View Post
Did your white battery box come with a vent?
No, I cut a hole in the lid and ran the hose threw it with some sealant around it.

Ray

LoveYourRV.com
Old 07-25-2013, 07:34 PM   #7
suza

Quote:

Cheers Ray

Where did you purchase the box?
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS
2013 F-350 Super Duty Powerstroke 4WD LB CC

https://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/...ps78607eca.jpg
suza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:20 PM   #8
raytronx

Quote:
Originally Posted by suza View Post
Where did you purchase the box?
A local battery place here in Victoria BC, same place I purchased the 2 Trojan 6v batteries.

Here is a link to a similar one online.
http://www.allbatterysalesandservice...cfm/4,576.html

Regards Ray

LoveYourRV.com
Old 07-26-2013, 07:06 AM   #9
suza

Quote:
A local battery place here in Victoria BC, same place I purchased the 2 Trojan 6v batteries.

Here is a link to a similar one online.
http://www.allbatterysalesandservice...cfm/4,576.html

Regards Ray
Thanks, Ray. I never imagined how hard it would be to set up the Trojan 6 volts. When I went to our dealer (they sell Trojans and regularly install them in RVs), asking about ordering a sealed box for installation in our 5th wheel, he said none of the manufacturers makes a sealed box to fit the T-105s. I thought this is strange, since so many RVers opt for golf-cart batteries, but he said the majority of dry-campers are apparently TT owners, while 5th-wheelers mostly camp where hook-ups are available. He said it just wouldn't be worth it to retool for such a small market, and they would likely be expensive. I would think, since sealed boxes are made for smaller batteries, that it wouldn't be a total new setup to make larger boxes - mostly just a taller box - but what do I know His solution was exactly what everyone is doing - fabricate a box from what is available. He did give me some tips on how he does the fabrication and even gave me a T connector if we decided to link two boxes. My husband is leaning toward one box so we don't have to drill another vent hole in the bottom of the compartment. My son welds and is great at designing and fabricating custom things from on hand materials. He and DH are, as we speak, working on a prototype. Our next Boondock is only a week away.

What material did you use to seal up the lid? Our service tech said this is tricky, since the available, dual T-105 box doesn't have a very thick rim. He also said it is important to seal around wire egress holes. It looks like you might have used foam (the type used for insulating pipes) around the wires where they exit the box. It this also what you used around the lid? My husband thinks sealing would restrict movement of the wires and possibly cause problems, but the foam tubing would flex and also protect the wires from rubbing on the edges of the hole through the box. I don't think the idea is to get a truly sealed box - I agree with Festus2, with the air intake hole out the bottom, , the box won't be totally sealed.

Thanks for the reference to your blog and for taking the time to video your installation.
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS

Old 07-26-2013, 07:30 AM   #10
Festus2
Site Team

As you can see from the photo of the box, it is not really sealed up that tightly. There are gaps and hole in the sides that are there to allow for the cables running to and from the batteries.

You can't really make the box airtight or completely sealed, be able to easily remove the lid and allow for the wires and cables at the same time.

As long as the batteries are covered and are vented to the outside, you should be ok.

I have 2 Trojans in a single plastic box that has a removable, vented lid. Unlike Ray, I did not install the single 12v battery.

Having the two batteries in a single box does have one disadvantage for us in that the box is just big enough for the two batteries. Removing them is a bit of an effort and I really don't want to have to do that myself. Two boxes ??? Then you have to have two vented lids so I'm not sure whether this would be any better.

These batteries are heavier and being stored in a compartment that has a 6" lip on the front, makes it even more difficult to lift them up and over to get them out.

Installing the two batteries and having a vented lid is not really that tricky. I think the service tech is making this sound more difficult than it needs to be.
As long as the batteries are properly vented to the outside - as Rays and mine are - even with the small gaps and holes for the wires and cables, you will be ok.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:08 AM   #11
raytronx

I've had mine installed like that for over two years using them full time and I can't find any corrosion anywhere in the compartment, so there is some real life experience.

I would only be concerned about making the box air tight if the box was in a very air tight compartment itself, but mine are in the front storage which is anything but airtight.

I just used some plumbing foam to give it a fair amount of seal.

There is openings to the loading jacks and holes to the ventilated LP Gas storage on both sides. Any battery gas that does seep from the box is be ventilated through those areas.

Also with the modern converters having three stage chargers built in they don't produce that much gas, I hardly have to add water. Not like the older ones that would boil the batteries over charging them.

Cheers Ray

LoveYourRV.com
Old 07-26-2013, 08:46 AM   #12
suza

Thanks for the encouragement, Festus2. I think we are close to having a solution in place, just in time for a planned dry-camp next weekend

Did you attach the battery box to the compartment? Do you think a battery lifting strap ("picker-upper thing") would help with removal of the batteries?
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS

Old 07-26-2013, 09:18 AM   #13
Festus2
Site Team

No, these batteries aren't going anywhere. I did place the box on top a piece of carpet underlay which I cut to fit for the entire front compartment floor. Every time I go into the front compartment, which is often, the batteries and box are exactly in the same place all the time.

Each battery does have a strap to lift it up - otherwise the fit is so tight I cannot get a hold anywhere on the battery to lift it up and out.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:00 PM   #14
suza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
No, these batteries aren't going anywhere. I did place the box on top a piece of carpet underlay which I cut to fit for the entire front compartment floor. Every time I go into the front compartment, which is often, the batteries and box are exactly in the same place all the time.

Each battery does have a strap to lift it up - otherwise the fit is so tight I cannot get a hold anywhere on the battery to lift it up and out.
We found a box to hold the two T-105s side-by-side and placed the box where the factory 12v was installed. A good fit, but, just to be safe, my husband attached the box, using the existing holes where the original was secured, with screws. Everything went together well.

Laugh of the Day: When DH first tested the batteries at the control panel, there was no power getting to the RV (panel did not light up and lights would not come on). He tested the batteries and they had a full charge. I asked him the first trouble shooting question you always ask, "is the power on (Dear)?" That was it. He had neglected to reconnect the battery disconnect switch. He just grinned
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS

Old 08-04-2013, 08:11 AM   #15
Stublejumper

Quote:
I've had mine installed like that for over two years using them full time and I can't find any corrosion anywhere in the compartment, so there is some real life experience.

I would only be concerned about making the box air tight if the box was in a very air tight compartment itself, but mine are in the front storage which is anything but airtight.

I just used some plumbing foam to give it a fair amount of seal.

There is openings to the loading jacks and holes to the ventilated LP Gas storage on both sides. Any battery gas that does seep from the box is be ventilated through those areas.

Also with the modern converters having three stage chargers built in they don't produce that much gas, I hardly have to add water. Not like the older ones that would boil the batteries over charging them.

Cheers Ray
Looked everywhere to find a box to fit 4 t-105 but unable ,ended up making my own.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	3822  
Old 08-04-2013, 12:56 PM   #16
raytronx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stublejumper View Post
Looked everywhere to find a box to fit 4 t-105 but unable ,ended up making my own.
Nice job!

LoveYourRV.com

Tags
6 volt, batteries, install, mod, trojan