Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2013, 06:23 PM   #1
Jim Dow

Fifth Wheel Hitch Lock

After reading about a dire insurance situation in which a 5er was stolen, I decided to put a lock on my hitch pin - see photo. This seems like it would suffice, at least for a while. I purchased the hitch lock from Camping World.

While I was at it, I painted the lower rim of the hitch pin so that I could see it more easily when hooking up. Sometimes it was difficult to see whether or not the hitch pin was positioned correctly. See photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HitchLock.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	3774  
Jim Dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:07 AM   #2
WaltBennett

I like to leave our hitch attached to the king pin, but put a heavy duty padlock through one of the foot holes. There's also a small padlock on the hitch release handle safety latch so it can't be taken easily.

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:29 AM   #3
Family_5ers

We were just discussing purchasing one of these... I think it's a great idea.
Current 5er: 2013 Laredo 335TG
Past 5er: 2001 Innsbruk 27FRKD

Family_5ers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:51 AM   #4
jsmith948

Before we purchased our lock (similar to the OP) we wondered how effective it would be. I asked a mechanic at one of our local RV repair places (they also store RVs). The mechanic said that on one or two occasions, customers have lost the keys to the lock and he had to use a torch to cut the lock off.
It will at least slow the thief down or force him to go to easier pickins. FWIW

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:30 AM   #5
Onelick

@WaltBennett, that sounds like a cool idea to leave the hitch on the pin and use the landing gear motor to pull the hitch out of the truck, and then put it back in again. My questions would be, is the motor strong enough for the extra weight? and is the frame of the camper strong enough to hold the hitch weight for a month or more at a time? This sounds like a good way to save space in my shed also if it doesn't mind the extra weight.

Thanks.
Onelick
Onelick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:29 AM   #6
howdy
Permanent User Ban

The one thing I disliked about king pin locks was how messy with grease the got after a few uses. I suppose if it keeps your trailer safe then its a small inconvenience to deal with.
howdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:35 AM   #7
Ginther

Quote:
Originally Posted by howdy View Post
The one thing I disliked about king pin locks was how messy with grease the got after a few uses. I suppose if it keeps your trailer safe then its a small inconvenience to deal with.
Luckily for me, thanks to having a Hijacker Autoslide hitch, very little (if any) grease is needed on the king pin. So I dont have much mess to live with.

I bought one of these - BlayLock EZ-Lock on Amazon - BlayLock EZ-Lock on e-trailer for when I put the rig in storage.
Ginther is offline   Reply With Quote