Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2010, 03:36 PM   #1
Stargazer

Day/Night Window Shades

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJBurns View Post
JimW:
Thanks for trying to help, but no, the 199ML has a one-piece shade--solid sheet but pleated. There are three strings running down through it that suggest there is a "raise-lower" control cord somewhere--but there is not. At the bottom the shade attaches to a bar that appears to be permanently tied to screws into the wall.
I have a little window on one of our slideouts that sounds just like yours. My window shades are also like what you describe. Does it look like that little window on the left?

Are you sure the bottom of the shade is actually attached and not just hooked on something? Sometimes, ours gets caught on the window knob so when we try to lift the shade it gets stuck. But once we wiggle it past the obstruction then the whole bar just slides up.

We were confused when we first got our TT because we were expecting some kind of separate window shade controls, too .
Stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 05:09 AM   #2
PJBurns

Thanks for replying. I am not near my trailer at the moment but will surely check again when I get back to it. My shade does looks like the one you pictured, but I am pretty sure there is no way to slide it up, via draw strings or whatever, but I am as often wrong as right these days, and I will revisit the window this eve.
PJBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:12 AM   #3
Stargazer

Some of our shades are really tight, too, so it takes some effort to lift up the bar. There must be some kind of adjustment available for people to make, anyone know?
Stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 05:09 PM   #4
dkelch

Hi,

In my 2011 Passport 199 ml that shade is on tracks on both sides and you can raise and lower the shade by pushing up on the bottom, middle part of the shade.

After a frustrating 1 hr trying to get the tv to work we my wife figured out that it was password protected. The password was set at the factory as 0000. Once we entered that it worked fine.

We just spent the first 3 nights in ours and like it so far - no issues yet.

Thanks

Doug Kelch
dkelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:22 AM   #5
PJBurns

Interesting about the tracks. Mine is the 2010 model, and there are none. Nor are there any cords or other mechanism to raise the shade. The bottom bar is tied to plastic covered screws at both ends. Now I am wondering if this was a factory oversight. I have been traveling around in the Passport since I took delivery June 21, and have yet to take it to a Keystone dealer to find out, but I will be able to do so when I get home to Tallahassee in mid August.
PJBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 10:42 AM   #6
burt78

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJBurns View Post
JimW:
Thanks for trying to help, but no, the 199ML has a one-piece shade--solid sheet but pleated. There are three strings running down through it that suggest there is a "raise-lower" control cord somewhere--but there is not. At the bottom the shade attaches to a bar that appears to be permanently tied to screws into the wall. If I want any outside light, it looks to me as though I am going to have to replace the shade with a venetian type, though why the factory installed this one is beyond me. There is nothing in the Keystone Owner's Manual about it, which is not surprising because there is very little in the manual except generalities. Perhaps there was a separate manual specifically for the 199ML that I did not get? Took me a week to figure out the TV system because there is no manual for it. As for the slide-out, the Keystone manual says to see the separate manual about it--but I did not get one. These are all minor irritants, but they are irritants, especially when one is far from the dealer and traveling.
PJ, Those type shades usually just lift and lower via the bar across the bottom. the strings that are attached to the screw on the wall are for adjusting the tension that keeps the shade in the up position.
burt78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 03:01 PM   #7
Outbackmel

Shades

Burt 78 is correct. I have several of these in our 2011 Outback 5er. They simply compress to raise and pull from the center of the bar to lower. You can make adjustments at the bottom of the plastic base. Our windows are tinted (factory) so we have daytime privacy when in the raised position. They do get hung up on occasion, you simply free the shade around and impediment.
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:17 PM   #8
Bugsmema

Our Day shades.

We to have the same shades. Ours were so tight in some windows I was afraid I would rip them out trying to open them. A friend of ours who's business is these kinds of shades told me he would add a spacer at the top of the frame where it's up against the window frame. Said it will make it easier to open and close. They need to be tight though to keep them from slipping and falling down during traveling. Hope this helps.
Bugsmema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:26 PM   #9
suza

Loose shades

Several comments here mention the day night pleated shades being too tight. burt78 says you can adjust the tension using the strings. Most of our shades work just fine. However, a couple of them are too loose and work themselves down, especially during transport. Has anyone successfully adjusted the tension on these shades? Please explain the process.
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS
2013 F-350 Super Duty Powerstroke 4WD LB CC

https://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/...ps78607eca.jpg
suza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:59 AM   #10
Bushman512000

tight shades

remember this they have a day and a night shade and will need to go up and down one at a time they jam up if You lift both at same time or same lowering use just one then the other ...Bushman
Bushman512000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:44 AM   #11
Whohasucovered

Hi Suza, what the dealership told me is the tension is adjusted by the wrapping the string around the screws at the bottom of the window. Loosen the screw a bit and unloop the string to loosen but I would caution as these strings do need to be tight to hold the shades in position when they are up.

Whohasucovered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:17 AM   #12
suza

We always lift/lower each separately. The day shades on a couple of the windows are lowering themselves during transport. The shades on these windows do not feel as "snug" when raising and lowering as the shades that are not coming down on their own.
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS

Old 07-24-2013, 06:31 AM   #13
suza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whohasucovered View Post
Hi Suza, what the dealership told me is the tension is adjusted by the wrapping the string around the screws at the bottom of the window. Loosen the screw a bit and unloop the string to loosen but I would caution as these strings do need to be tight to hold the shades in position when they are up.
Thanks for the tip. I expected the strings would adjust tension, but didn't want to totally mess it up! I'll give it a try and see what happens
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS