Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-02-2012, 03:03 PM   #1
parkgirl

trailer shuddered as if major spring broke

We were sitting in our trailer the other night and all of a sudden the entire trailer had a tremendous shake as if a bear had jumped on the roof. We were really traumatized. We thought at first that it had shifted and fallen off it's blocks for some reason (we are permanently installed) and we checked outside and everything looked fine. Afterwards we realized that it felt more like something had happened to the slide-out, as if a spring under major pressure had sprung. But we've looked under both slide-outs and nothing seems to be wrong. Has anyone ever heard of this happening before or had it happen to them?
Thanks,
parkgirl
parkgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:12 PM   #2
Halibutman214

What is "permanently installed" and what do you mean when you say fell off the blocks?
Did you run the slide in and out to make sure it still worked?
It's also helpful if we know what you have.
Halibutman214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:15 PM   #3
Cool Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkgirl View Post
We were sitting in our trailer the other night and all of a sudden the entire trailer had a tremendous shake as if a bear had jumped on the roof. We were really traumatized. We thought at first that it had shifted and fallen off it's blocks for some reason (we are permanently installed) and we checked outside and everything looked fine. Afterwards we realized that it felt more like something had happened to the slide-out, as if a spring under major pressure had sprung. But we've looked under both slide-outs and nothing seems to be wrong. Has anyone ever heard of this happening before or had it happen to them?
Thanks,
parkgirl
That happen to us once. Found a Buick implanted into the main slide. The last time was a golf cart roof into the bedroom slide.
Cool Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:56 AM   #4
SAABDOCTOR

HOLY FLARP!!!!! Hope that wasn't at the same campground! must have targets paited on the sids of your trailer. hope all is ok. that sounds like a violent shake but you didnt mention if the slides work still and i assume it did not fall off the blocks. any one ealse fell the tremmors could have been a small quake! lets us know what you find out
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:58 AM   #5
parkgirl

seems no problem

Thanks for your replies everyone. After I posted we lost internet service so I haven't been able to respond. We have a Keystone Hideout 38FQDS. By permanently installed, I meant that we had it set up on blocks by the dealer in a seasonal park and that we will not be moving it. There are two slides on it.

"Cool Canuck" I hope that wasn't in our trailer park! That would be a nightmare. But really that's what it felt like. Or like a huge bear jumped out of a tree and landed on our roof (that's a possibility). We did check around the trailer with a flashlight after it happened (no Buicks or golf cart roofs!) and it was still firmly planted on its blocks. I emailed the dealer and they were going to be servicing some trailers in the area during the week--and we were already scheduled for some minor repairs--so they stopped by to check it out and looked under the slides, examined all the blocks etc. and said everything looked fine. The one thing they didn't do though was to run the slides in and out!

SAABDOCTOR and Halibutman214, I wish I'd seen your recommendation to check if the slides still move in and out okay because I would have asked the service guy to do that. I did think of it after the incident but didn't want to risk putting them in and then not getting them back out again since we were having visitors come up the next day, then when the service guy came he didn't do it and I didn't think to mention it (again I guess subconsciously not wanting to ruin our holiday), but if I'd seen your comments I think I wouldn't have been so silly. We left them out when we left but when we return we'll try them and hope for the best.
Thanks.
parkgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:36 AM   #6
SAABDOCTOR

hi lets hope for the best and the buick and the golf cart hit eachother and rolled into the lake!!! lets us know if you findanything enjoy the rest of the trip
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 03:57 PM   #7
x96mnn

I have seen wind gust do this especially in Florida.

Shakes the entire camper and will wake you from a dead sleep. You go outside and it is dead calm and can happen in your camper while the one across the way nothing.
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote