Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 12-15-2020, 07:35 AM   #1
LiveFreeorCry

2012 Cougar Water Pump Leaking

This could be a stupid question, but I can't find it addressed on the forum so here goes: Our Flojet water pump began leaking from the reservoir(not the hoses, but the 'casing' as if the seals aren't holding things air-tight). We will probably buy another pump, but it's going to take a little while to get here. My question is whether I can use silicone to waterproof it to get a little more life out of it. The seal that seems to be leaking is built in to the unit(not the round gasket, but I did flip that). I'll try to add some pictures. Is it stupid to try and seal it? Right now, no water..
LiveFreeorCry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 08:05 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

I'm guessing the "reservoir" you reference is the pump body? I doubt you have "food safe" silicone so my initial thought would be not to do that. Maybe a picture of where it's leaking would help with replies on solutions. How long for the delivery of a replacement pump?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 08:40 AM   #3
LiveFreeorCry

The picture didn't load the first time, but it's on there now. I didn't know what the area was called, but that could be it. The picture has an arrow pointing to where water comes out. I don't care that much about food safe water quality, only used for flushing toilets and showers.
Old 12-15-2020, 08:49 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

Don't see the pics.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 08:59 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

FloJet pumps use a "locking blade/o-ring seal" to attach the inlet/outlet hoses to the pump head. Often those o-rings will not seat properly, sometimes they get damaged and won't seal properly, sometimes the locking blade is not completley inserted into the fitting...

Any of those can cause a leak that "drips around the outside of the pump head, making it appear that the pump head is leaking when it's not.

I'd first disconnect the pump fittings, inspect the o-rings, apply a bit of silicone lubricant (not silicone sealer) to the o-rings and reinstall them, making sure the locking blades are fully inserted....

Unless your pump has been subjected to freezing recently, chances are the actual pump head is not leaking to the outside.

As for "using silicone to patch things up temporarily, if you apply silicone to any of the fittings or hoses, you'll need to replace much more than "just the pump" .... I'd refrain from "patching things".... A replacement FloJet pump is available for around $55-60. https://www.amazon.com/Flojet-03526-...s%2C219&sr=8-2 If you do decide to replace the pump, I'd urge you to also install an inlet strainer. It will protect your pumphead diaphragm from the "always present" trash coming from your fresh water tank. https://www.amazon.com/Flojet-017403...051511&sr=8-20 you can buy two of them for $10. It's always nice (I guess) to have a spare.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 09:56 AM   #6
LiveFreeorCry

Thank you, that is good information. I didn't feel any moisture around the hose inlets when I disconnected, but I will check out the o-rings more closely. The drip did seem to come from the very bottom of the housing, but I want to check it out again now. Thank you. The leak only occurred when the pump was running.
Old 12-15-2020, 10:13 AM   #7
travelin texans

Until then use the city water connection for water supply.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar, leak, water, water pump