Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2020, 06:11 AM   #1
chunker

E-track on Raptor garage side wall

To get the garage organized and prevent tool bags, compressor etc. from wandering around in the garage, I want to install some strips of E-track on the side wall of the garage, under the Happi-Jac sofa and in front of it before the half bath door. The lower garage wall is lined up 14" with black plastic sheet as a sort of weather resistant splash guard for cleaning. What is the spacing and size of the aluminum wall studs in the garage? And with the exception of cutouts for doors/windows do the studs go from ceiling to floor? While the stress on the E-track won't be great, I do want the screws into the studs not just the wall paneling structure. Will a standard house type stud finder work on an RV with all the aluminum and other materials generally not found in a house?
2019 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic 114 (the toy)
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 08:42 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

There is "no such thing" as 16" OC stud spacing in an RV. Aluminum studs are strategically spaced to accommodate flexing, provide structure for window and door openings and to reinforce weak elements of the wall structure... What that means in English is that studs are put "where needed" not "where measured".

EVERY sidewall on EVERY model is custom built FOR THAT MODEL to meet "engineering specifications"...

About the only "sure bet" is that if you can see the stud on the outside FILON wall when dew is on the trailer, you can assume that stud is in the "same measured location" on the inside wall.

Typically, but not in all cases, if there's a window, you'll find a vertical stud on each side that goes from floor to ceiling. That said, in some sidewalls, those studs go from top to bottom to the window opening and only a "center stud" on the opposide side of the window down to the floor or up to the ceiling.

If I were you, I'd wait for a "humid morning" set the alarm clock and beat the sun to your trailer sidewall, use a pencil and mark the locations of where the dew collects. That will identify your studs. Then carefully measure twice on the outside, go inside and measure to mark "where the stud ought to be"... Drill a small (easily covered) pilot hole to confirm there "really is a stud there, then "measure from there to the other locations".

I wouldn't do any work on "hole drilling" based on another model/floorplan information about studding.....

A stud finder will work, but you may not "find a stud" but rather a "jack stud" that goes only part way to reinforce "something we can't see that had caused problems with previous trailers of that floorplan"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 10:45 AM   #3
chunker

Thanks it may be tricky to locate a spot to "securely" mount the E-track, OR I may mount on the floor along the edge knowing I at least have a substantial floor to secure it.
Old 07-12-2020, 07:52 PM   #4
Dan Lockwood

I want to install a dual grip wooden hand rail up the steps into the bathroom and bedroom area. Not knowing where, if any, the studs are, I got out my house "stud finder".

On the outside of the garage wall, I tried it and it showed me studs at each side of the windows on the garage walls. It also indicated some horizontal bracing between the studs.

If one were to use this with a bit of common sense and "some" knowledge of RV sub-structures, I feel that it would give one what is needed to get some good anchors attached.

In my case on the outside of the bathroom wall that's open to the stairway, it feels just like the rounded part is just lauan with the normal vinyl wall paper etc. I did find a few studs with the stud finder on that wall that corresponded with the "push technique" with the hands between the studs.

The inside of the outside wall just behind the main entrance door and up the stairway to the bathroom and the bedroom, seems to be ALL solid. I cannot push the in lauan anywhere along that wall. The stud finder is not acting the same on that wall so I may have a sub-structure that's more substantial in that area. I plan on using the metal behind the wall crimping nuts similar to nut-serts. I'll use my nut-sert rivet handle system to pull them in once I find anything worth drilling into.

Sorry for hijacking this thread, but in my defense, it seems a "bit" related...

Good luck with your E-track!

Dan
'09 Harley CVO Road Glide
'76 Harley FLH Shovelhead
Dan Lockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 01:12 AM   #5
chunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Lockwood View Post
I want to install a dual grip wooden hand rail up the steps into the bathroom and bedroom area. Not knowing where, if any, the studs are, I got out my house "stud finder".

On the outside of the garage wall, I tried it and it showed me studs at each side of the windows on the garage walls. It also indicated some horizontal bracing between the studs.

If one were to use this with a bit of common sense and "some" knowledge of RV sub-structures, I feel that it would give one what is needed to get some good anchors attached.

In my case on the outside of the bathroom wall that's open to the stairway, it feels just like the rounded part is just lauan with the normal vinyl wall paper etc. I did find a few studs with the stud finder on that wall that corresponded with the "push technique" with the hands between the studs.

The inside of the outside wall just behind the main entrance door and up the stairway to the bathroom and the bedroom, seems to be ALL solid. I cannot push the in lauan anywhere along that wall. The stud finder is not acting the same on that wall so I may have a sub-structure that's more substantial in that area. I plan on using the metal behind the wall crimping nuts similar to nut-serts. I'll use my nut-sert rivet handle system to pull them in once I find anything worth drilling into.

Sorry for hijacking this thread, but in my defense, it seems a "bit" related...

Good luck with your E-track!

Dan
Not much of a hijack and appreciated. Obviously screwing/anchoring the E-track into something solid is the goal be it a stud or solid wall.
Old 07-13-2020, 08:21 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Lockwood View Post
I ...

The inside of the outside wall just behind the main entrance door and up the stairway to the bathroom and the bedroom, seems to be ALL solid. I cannot push the in lauan anywhere along that wall. ...

Dan
The outer wall on your trailer is, from the outside in: FILON, luan, luan (double 1/8" sheets), foam/aluminum structure, 1/8" luan, vinyl wall covering.

Typically, unless something is damaged in the wall, you will not be able to press it in to identify any studs by the "flexion method"... As for the wall strength, all you'll have on the outer wall (unless you do hit an aluminum stud) is 1/8" luan. That likely wouldn't support the weight placed on a hand rail without the stud support.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 06:09 PM   #7
cmazda

I found studs with a stud-finder directly under the sides of the windows, then installed mine with 3/4" #12 screws in every other hole. I centered the holes in the etrac to hit the studs. Mine has worked well for 4 months now on some rough roads holding my patio stairs, ladders and chairs.
cmazda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rack, raptor