Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2020, 01:24 AM   #1
KRumm

Is this a structural flaw or just dirt?

I am looking at buying a used 5th wheel and in one of the pictures you can see the aluminum frame bleeding thru?... I have seen this on 2-3 identical units that are of the same dark color... I asked about it from one seller and he never replied back?.. It looks like condensation forming on the outside (and maybe over time dirty condensation collects on a rig sitting out for a few weeks)... Or is it possibly a structural flaw where the aluminum frame and the foam insulation are forming a permanent indented flaw in the outer skin?...

Anyone experiencing this on their darker colored rigs?

Is this an easy fix with just a good wax or will it never go away?...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B3AC8864-94CF-4808-BA0C-434667CC8A91.jpeg
Views:	236
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	28733   Click image for larger version

Name:	89B20B24-058B-4BA6-8BB7-A719DFBCC41A.jpeg
Views:	231
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	28734  
KRumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 02:47 AM   #2
notanlines

It is a very common occurrence in RV's. Not a fault, just that the condensation you spoke of. Looks to be a nice rig, by the way.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 02:58 AM   #3
gearhead

I think the dark areas where the frame is are close to the original color. The other areas are where the finish is oxidized.
Compound and a random orbit buffer can fix it. Should be several threads on here.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 07:16 AM   #4
Alpine

That Cougar has stories to tell by the looks of that (filled in) Map of the United States! Good looking rig!

Jeff & Jan - Retired & Full-timing since 2013
2019 Ram Big Horn 3500 Aisin 4x4
2012 Alpine 3450-RL
Double Coin 235/75R-17.5/16 J rated 125lb
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 07:20 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

There are several "environmental elements" occurring that cause those "dark streaks" on the side of an RV.

1. It's located in a "desert oasis" (Palm Springs) where the humidity is significantly higher than the surrounding area. That causes dew to form on cooler surfaces every day. The area where aluminum sidewall studs are located is cooler than the other sidewall parts, so dew collects over the underlying aluminum structure.

2. The surrounding "dry, dusty desert" is filled with calcium, borax and just plain old dirt" in the form of dust. That dust "blows through the oasis (dry meets wet) every day just before sunrise, when the dew is forming on those cool surfaces.

3. The dew, containing all those "contaminates" dries quickly, when the sun comes out to warm the day. Then, ALL DAY LONG, the sun "bakes that calcium and borax and "just plain old dirt" into the finish on the trailer.

The result: dark stains over the "aluminum super-structure" that you see on the sidewall... If you inspect it carefully and if the trailer was consistently stored in the same location, you'll probably find that the side the "afternoon sun" hits has significantly darker stains than the "cooler, morning sun side" of the trailer.

This is purely a result of "desert, sun, heat, atmospheric contamination and the "relatively high humidity in the oasis" that all combine to create the problem.....

ADDED: You can "look at it as an added plus" if you're considering installing slide covers. It'll be much easier to determine if (and locate) the underlying aluminum structure to mount any awning rails or window awning supports.... There's no question where that structure is "hiding in plain sight"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 07:58 AM   #6
dutchmensport

I don't think there is anything "structural" going on with your camper in the photo. I think that is just black streaking dirt and here's why.

On June 21, 2019, after we had our new Montana 9 months (brand new), we slept in it at home in the drive way. In the morning when we first woke up, I looked out the slide out window in the bed slide and saw streaking on the side of the trailer. I was so interred, I went outside and took photos, because the cool morning air and the warm interior of the camper caused condensation and the condensation had evaporated everywhere except directly over the studs and wall framing (aluminum framing).

I took a bunch of photos, because I figured it would be a good record if I ever needed to figure out exactly where the aluminum wall frame (studs) were, and how they ran. I could see the sweat outline on all 4 sides of the trailer. I went photo crazy!

Now, add "acid rain" dirt in the air, pollen, and just general gunk in the air, over time, and the trailer sides not getting washed, the dirt will begin to get thicker and thicker where it stays wet the longest.

If anything, your camper in the photo's is a demonstration of how thin the wall are, warm inside, cold outside, over time dirt settles again and again, sticking to the spots that stays wet. Thus ... the equivalent of black streaking.

Here's some photos of what mine looked like. What you see is nothing but water condensation, making the outline of the wall framing. Add some dirt, and you'd have some interesting new graphics designs!

I think the reason the back cap of the fifth wheel is not so predominate, is because there is a closet along the back wall and an outside storage area under the closet creating a barrier between the warmth inside the camper and the cool morning air outside the camper.

And for an FYI, this is the only time, that I know of that this happened.

I notice in the photo of the back end, I had not purchased my Furrion Observation camera yet. (No antenna sticking out of the side of the cover where they are installed)
Old 07-18-2020, 09:54 AM   #7
Northofu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRumm View Post
I am looking at buying a used 5th wheel and in one of the pictures you can see the aluminum frame bleeding thru?... I have seen this on 2-3 identical units that are of the same dark color... I asked about it from one seller and he never replied back?.. It looks like condensation forming on the outside (and maybe over time dirty condensation collects on a rig sitting out for a few weeks)... Or is it possibly a structural flaw where the aluminum frame and the foam insulation are forming a permanent indented flaw in the outer skin?...

Anyone experiencing this on their darker colored rigs?

Is this an easy fix with just a good wax or will it never go away?...
Only 1 side of my trailer (new to me in May) came with this oxidation on the side. I bought some 6" buffing pads and a two step compound and finishing wax from Chemical guys. I buffed the slide on the side in question, and took quite a bit off but needs more, I haven't had time to continue with it. I am sure that with a bit more work and maybe a bit more harsh cut it will come off completely.
The dark lines that outline the frame are from a lack of oxidation, while buffing mine they are the true colour of the side wall, the more oxidation I buffed off the closer the colour gets. Keep it washed and waxed. I know, easier said than done.
Good luck

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2023, 06:33 AM   #8
Thomasbeau

Hello folks,

My 2018 Hideout 5th wheel is doing exactly the same thing. Does anyone have a recommendation regarding a product that works best for this? I have tried cleaning waxes and compounds but nothing seems to really make it much better. I have used both a random orbital and an electric professional buffer and it's kinda challenging me.

Thanks,

Tom
2015 F350 SD Lariat Platinum Crew Cab, 6.7 Diesel
Thomasbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 06:17 PM   #9
HandymanK

I have fought the oxidation on my 2017 Cougar. Tried the buffer with compounds to remove, worked so well it removed the information on the sticker listing the weights and all. Oxidation returned next year. Found a product called Poliglow. Has an oxidation remover that is wiped on and very easy to do the job, no buffing. Near is a whipe on that brings back the shine then once every year after. Time and labor saving. Like I said this has worked for me very well. Check it out on the internet.
HandymanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 07:11 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandymanK View Post
I have fought the oxidation on my 2017 Cougar. Tried the buffer with compounds to remove, worked so well it removed the information on the sticker listing the weights and all. Oxidation returned next year. Found a product called Poliglow. Has an oxidation remover that is wiped on and very easy to do the job, no buffing. Near is a whipe on that brings back the shine then once every year after. Time and labor saving. Like I said this has worked for me very well. Check it out on the internet.
Poliglow is a "kissing cousin" to the old Mop and glow that housewives in the 70's applied to their pink and charcoal gray asbestos floor tiles with their O'cello "squeeze and go" sponge applicator.....

Don't ask me why that came to mind when I read your post, but memories of my grandma instructing my new wife on how to keep her floor shiny "just flooded out of the memory banks".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 07:30 PM   #11
Dadmech

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Poliglow is a "kissing cousin" to the old Mop and glow that housewives in the 70's applied to their pink and charcoal gray asbestos floor tiles with their O'cello "squeeze and go" sponge applicator.....

Don't ask me why that came to mind when I read your post, but memories of my grandma instructing my new wife on how to keep her floor shiny "just flooded out of the memory banks".....
Heck, we still use Mop-N-Glo! 👍
Dadmech is offline   Reply With Quote