Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2020, 06:06 AM   #1
Woodz71

Replace screen on door with Lexan or Plexiglass?

I’m back with yet another question....

Has anyone done this mod? I need to replace the screen on my door and was thinking about changing it out to a tinted Lexan.

What say y’all?

I tell ya, y’all the most informative bunch I know of in regards to keeping me at the campsite without issues!
Woodz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 06:18 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

I made a lexan "overlay" for our screen door. It's held in place with 8 "screen clips" in holes I drilled on the outside of the door. It's essentially a storm door, so we can leave it open and still keep the interior cool with the A/C. My DW says it's one of my best mods. Our trailer is a "cave" without the entry door open. We use one of the magnetic screen curtains as a screen door if not "buggy". If it's really a "bug infested location" I can remove the top lexan panel to "have the original screen door" in a matter of a couple minutes. Only problem is finding a place to store the lexan so it doesn't get scratched.

There are two pieces, one above the slide to access the door lock and one below the slide.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 02:55 PM   #3
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

You'll lose the ventilation with a single piece, if that's important to you. You may want to put in two overlapping pieces where 1 could be removed if desired. Just an observation.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 03:02 PM   #4
wobly

I put Lexan on the bottom inside sections of our two screen doors because of the dogs. They tend to try and dig their way out through the bottom screen. With the Lexan on the bottom, we can still have ventilation when the doors are open. It doesn't do anything to stop the sun shining in, though.
wobly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 03:48 PM   #5
NH_Bulldog

It’s simple enough to add a lexan or acrylic panel secured with screw-in mirror clips. If it’s for pets, try a heavy duty aluminum mesh screen. This is mine being modeled by my English Bulldog Wilma
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7AF61BAA-DDB6-4D9E-B1C4-4A267844BCF6.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	363.3 KB
ID:	28624  
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 05:02 AM   #6
mmoff46

I put tinted Plexiglass cut to fit on the bottom. I measured and it fits into the groove and was just tight enough that no screws were needed. The door still has the screen but the little dog cant get to it.
mmoff46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 05:42 AM   #7
wiredgeorge

Camco sells a mesh screen that is screwed onto the frame to keep dogs from tearing up the screen. It is pretty useless if your dogs are big enough. I have one on my camper that keeps the ankle biters from scratching the screen door. My brother in law has two big fat beagles and an ankle biter and bought one for his camper (thought mine was a good idea) and the beagles were through in about 5 minutes. He covered his with lexan subsequently.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 06:56 PM   #8
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
It's held in place with 8 "screen clips" in holes I drilled on the outside of the door.
John - for some reason I'm drawing a blank in my mind on these clips you mention. I search online brought up many, many options. If you could post a simple picture of the clips from online source or somewhere, just to jog my brain a bit. Appreciate it.

We feel the same "cave" effect with the door closed to maintain to the cool air inside. Especially when sitting on the couch, you can't look out to see from that position.
Bill-2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 07:07 PM   #9
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-2020 View Post
John - for some reason I'm drawing a blank in my mind on these clips you mention. I search online brought up many, many options. If you could post a simple picture of the clips from online source or somewhere, just to jog my brain a bit. Appreciate it.

We feel the same "cave" effect with the door closed to maintain to the cool air inside. Especially when sitting on the couch, you can't look out to see from that position.
Or is this something like it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	71RLONPRK0L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	28652  
Old 07-13-2020, 07:13 PM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-2020 View Post
Or is this something like it?
That's exactly what I was thinking when I read his response.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 08:09 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Bill,

Those are one kind and will work "like a champ" I made my own from some aluminum bar stock I had laying around. I used about 3 on each side (on the top panel and on the bottom panel) with one centered top and bottom, so a total of 8 on the bottom panel and since the top section is curved, only 2 on each side for a total of 6 to hold the top panel in place.

If you mount the lexan on the inside, you cover the screen and there is no "lip to mount the lexan into. If you mount it on the outside of the screen door frame, there's a lip. Cut the lexan to "squeeze inside the lip" and it'll seal tightly, the clips hold it in place and there's "little or no air leakage".

I wouldn't say it's "water and air tight" but it serves the purpose of leaving the main door open and the air conditioner running without losing all the cool air. Works well in the fall and early spring too, to keep the warm air inside...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 08:25 PM   #12
travelin texans

Removed the screens on mine, took the door apart & slid smoked plexiglass into the grooves with a few drops of silicone, worked great to be able to leave the door open with the ac/furnace running. Had plenty of windows & roof vents for ventilation when needed.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 05:19 PM   #13
Bill-2020

Thank you, gentlemen.
Old 07-14-2020, 05:24 PM   #14
Woodz71

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Removed the screens on mine, took the door apart & slid smoked plexiglass into the grooves with a few drops of silicone, worked great to be able to leave the door open with the ac/furnace running. Had plenty of windows & roof vents for ventilation when needed.
This is what I was thinking to do. How’s does the smoked plexiglas work with sun penetration? I was thinking about a darker tint for that reason.
Woodz71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
glass