Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2020, 06:04 AM   #61
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Denis,

The "passcode delete" is a simple "couple of keystrokes" to eliminate the frustration of entering a passcode every time you pick up the phone. I'm sure you've already done that or at least heard about it....

As for the "no motorized equipment activated with Global Connect"... The safety interlock for that feature lockout is application of +12VDC on pin 41 on the command unit. That +12VDC triggers the "Global Connect safety Interlock" to turn it off and allow motorized components to move with the WIFI. It's already a "workaround" for anyone who wants to open/close their slides from Boston when the trailer is stored in San Francisco.... Why anyone would want to do it ??? Now I have no idea why, but like many other "safety devices" some people want to completely bypass them "because the "guvment" cant make me do it and I'll show them...…

And, yeah, many areas do allow RV's to be stored at home, next to the garage and I've seen a couple of crushed recliners and torn up refrigerator doors from "butt dialed slide closures" At least that's what they've blamed for the damage, although some of them sure do look like the owner just was outside and too lazy to walk inside to close the slide after parking it beside the garage....
That would be a disaster if someone "drooped" their phone while driving 75 mph down the highway and see the slides coming out in the mirror! I can hear the insurance investigator asking "you bypassed what"? Oooouch!
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 06:22 AM   #62
sourdough
Site Team

I want to thank everyone for their thoughts and insight into the InCommand system. It has been, and is, a very informative thread IMO.

Most probably know but I did not update this thread; I did purchase a new fifth wheel; a Montana High Country 331RL. That unit does not have InCommand. DW and I both agreed that we like the simplicity and reliability of the switches.

Some interesting points have been brought up about the use, like or dislike of the InCommand system. One was that it was more of a "generational" issue; younger folks like "tech" stuff and older ones don't. There is some validity to that view. I used to love "tech" stuff and in fact was on the forefront of a lot of that stuff....40-45 years ago....but that was 40-45 years ago. Nowadays I don't want to spend hours poring over documents, data, instructions to learn how to turn on a light - my patience has deteriorated greatly over the decades, and, I never had any anyway.

I did find out something very interesting from Keystone as I investigated what to buy. I spoke with a director of product development for them. I asked why did I see switches in some units and In Command in others? Why did it seem to be that way in other RV lines? His reply? It's a demographic thing to them (read generational). They study who buys what and they find that those buying the Montana line and things like that are more inclined to want switches. The younger, more techy, folks are more inclined to like In Command. I had not really thought about that aspect but they apparently DO put a little thought into what goes where. I was afraid that choosing a unit with switches would automatically make the unit obsolete in a year or 2. He said it would not as they had no intention of discontinuing the switches. Good news for those of us that like them. Now, if that just holds true....

Just an update so folks would know my ultimate decision. I think the thread has been (and is) interesting and informational hopefully answering questions and shedding some light on concerns potential buyers (or current users) of In Command may have.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 12:28 PM   #63
GeekSquadOfUn

Thank you for your update, very much appreciated and funny enough, my best friend ended up buying a 2019 330RL (I think the 2-way fridge is the only difference with yours).

As long we're happy with what we've got, that is after all, the only thing that counts.

I've always wanted a 6-pack like Dwayne Johnson, but settled happily with a belly...
May you live as long as you want, and never want as long as you live.
GeekSquadOfUn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 12:54 PM   #64
dutchmensport

I don't have "In Command" either but, if it wasn't for advancements in technology, we'd all still be sleeping in caves.
Old 04-13-2020, 03:22 PM   #65
LHaven

Quote:
The "passcode delete" is a simple "couple of keystrokes" to eliminate the frustration of entering a passcode every time you pick up the phone. I'm sure you've already done that or at least heard about it....
The passcode on the phone, yes; on the app, no. If you can refer me to this, I'd be surprised. To the best of my knowledge (and I have looked) there is no facility to disable the passcode on the app. There is a facility to clear the passcode on the interior screen, but the very next thing that happens is it reboots and demands you establish a new passcode. Best you can do is set the passcode timer "off" so you enter it once and then it stays unlocked forever (or until 12V power dies).

Quote:
As for the "no motorized equipment activated with Global Connect"... The safety interlock for that feature lockout is application of +12VDC on pin 41 on the command unit. That +12VDC triggers the "Global Connect safety Interlock" to turn it off and allow motorized components to move with the WIFI. It's already a "workaround" for anyone who wants to open/close their slides from Boston when the trailer is stored in San Francisco.... Why anyone would want to do it ???
Thanks for that interesting observation, which I've noted in my manual. But I strongly suspect that just jumpering 12V to this pin would not serve to disable the WiFi lockout, because the app is just going to decide anyway, "I'm connected over WiFi, so the slides won't work, dim the icon."

Why would someone want to do this? It might be nice to be able to "fix stupid" remotely when you're away from the campground, the wind comes up, and you've left your awning out. But I agree it would be a bad idea to let it be extended, or to let the slide go either direction without line-of-sight supervision.
Old 04-13-2020, 04:36 PM   #66
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
The passcode on the phone, yes; on the app, no. If you can refer me to this, I'd be surprised. To the best of my knowledge (and I have looked) there is no facility to disable the passcode on the app. There is a facility to clear the passcode on the interior screen, but the very next thing that happens is it reboots and demands you establish a new passcode. Best you can do is set the passcode timer "off" so you enter it once and then it stays unlocked forever (or until 12V power dies).

Thanks for that interesting observation, which I've noted in my manual. But I strongly suspect that just jumpering 12V to this pin would not serve to disable the WiFi lockout, because the app is just going to decide anyway, "I'm connected over WiFi, so the slides won't work, dim the icon."

Why would someone want to do this? It might be nice to be able to "fix stupid" remotely when you're away from the campground, the wind comes up, and you've left your awning out. But I agree it would be a bad idea to let it be extended, or to let the slide go either direction without line-of-sight supervision.
Which is exactly why I commented that butt dialing can cause damage. Whether anyone wants to admit it or not, "hacks" to pass codes and "bypasses" to apps occur all the time in every line of electronic equipment...

If someone wants to believe "It'll never happen" I'm good with that. Just remember that when someone posts a "Keystone sucks because their system destroyed my slide" thread...…

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 11:08 AM   #67
MarkEHansen

@LHaven - I'm not at my trailer now, but I don't ever enter the passcode at the iN Command display module (the LCD inside the trailer). I don't remember what I did, but I think I disabled it (or set it to not time-out?).

To be clear, I can connect my battery to the RV, open the door and touch a button on the iN-Command screen and it wakes right up. I may have to deal with the travel lock, depending on the circumstances, but never the PIN code lock.

I don't think I've ever updated the firmware on my unit - so if you've updated your firmware, perhaps you've picked up a new "feature"?
Old 04-14-2020, 08:49 PM   #68
firestation12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
The latest version of In Command system appears to be much better due to hard wired connection from DC... display commander to the BCM... control module..

However... there is still NO provision for manual override of the hydraulic slide outs and six point level up system...

This would have to be done as it is on non in command systems using cordless drill to turn pump motor and manually opening desired solenoid valves on slide out or levelers... really no way around this because the hyd pump has to spin and solenoid valves have to open.

Mine doesn’t have in command.. but I’d consider a new fifth wheel with latest global connect version..

Just points to consider.

My iN-Command system has a feature to manually extend and retract slides and awnings. Removing the main panel's cover exposes the manual feature.
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 10:27 PM   #69
LewisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by firestation12 View Post
My iN-Command system has a feature to manually extend and retract slides and awnings. Removing the main panel's cover exposes the manual feature.
Correct: there are at least 3 or 4 ways to operate slides and some other motorized features.
  1. Using your phone or tablet through the iN.Command controller
  2. Using the iN.Command controller inside your trailer
  3. Removing the cover of the iN.Command junction/relay box (ours is in the pass-through storage area). There are a couple of dials that allow you to select the function and then a switch to operate the desired function. The wiring diagram is on the inside of the large cover you remove from the panel.
  4. Using your electric drill with a flexible cable bit to rotate the individual slide system. Typical for cable slide motors and most hydraulic slide pumps I have owned. Also typical for our current Lippert Level-Up hydraulic system pump (read the Lippert instructions - there's a trick or two to this process).
I made a point to perform all of these functions as a part of my "getting to know" my rig. The only thing I have NOT done is figure a way to manually roll in an electric awning if the motorized system does not work.
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 03:36 PM   #70
Apalinto

LewisB have you ever tried manually raising or lowering your landing gear? I have a Cougar 315RLS and the motors are in my front compartment with the batteries and spare. I too want to activate my slides manually with the flex cable.
Bulletproof Powerstroke 6.0 Turbo Diesel
2019 Cougar 315 RLS
Apalinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 07:29 PM   #71
LewisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apalinto View Post
LewisB have you ever tried manually raising or lowering your landing gear? I have a Cougar 315RLS and the motors are in my front compartment with the batteries and spare. I too want to activate my slides manually with the flex cable.
On our Raptor, the "landing gear" are actually the two forward of 6 Lippert hydraulic rams of the "Level UP" system. Yes, I have done these manually. There is a Lippert procedure that requires opening/closing the correct hydraulic valves at/near the pump. Then, you will need to access the end of the pump with a 1/4' hex drive and a good electric drill. In our case, the space on the end of the pump is very limited, so a 90 degree drive adaptor is also required. Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

On the slides, I have not completely closed these manually; I did not want to have to remove the wooden molding at the top of the slide hiding all the mechanisms. So I reached over the top of a "mostly in" slide, made sure I had the tools needed, and ran them in and out enough to insure I could complete the process in an emergency.

For either/both processes, you are going to want a really good battery powered drill motor (with extra batteries, maybe) or, as in our case, I started the generator and used a 110VAC drill motor. These take a lot of revolutions to get much in the way of movement.

Hope that helps.
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 09:53 PM   #72
Apalinto

Thanks LewisB. I just picked up a Harbor Freight drill with extra batteries to keep in the rig.
Bulletproof Powerstroke 6.0 Turbo Diesel
2019 Cougar 315 RLS
Apalinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 03:28 AM   #73
GeekSquadOfUn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apalinto View Post
Good question deserving its own discussion.... I'd love to know how it's done. I have same model, ours are electric...
GeekSquadOfUn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 03:35 PM   #74
ewbldavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSquadOfUn View Post
Good question deserving its own discussion.... I'd love to know how it's done. I have same model, ours are electric...
I was sort of looking. I think there is a cover we can get to with a ratchet and socket to manually turn mechanism, sort of like my electric tongue jack on my TT.

Eddy

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L
2020 Cougar 32BHS
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote