Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2012, 05:36 AM   #1
NSTS1470

wood chips

Just wondering on ur thoughts. Im at my new seasonal site and it is sandy very. Wood chips ate the best value, $10 a yard for clean pine wood chips from a local saw mill. Some say it will attract insects. Rock is expensive at roughly $30 a yard. The sand just sucks makes. Mess when it rains and gets on everything.
Old 05-19-2012, 01:36 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

In Northern Michigan, wood chips are a seasonal item. In other words, plan to replace them next year. So at $10 a yard, spread 2" thick, they'll cost you $30 in 3 years. Rock, pretty much a permanent commodity, at $30 a yard would last indefinately. You may have to rake it back to the surface every couple of years, but pretty much, once you buy it, you're done.

If you can afford it, I'd go with rock. If you can't quite manage, get enough to do under the table and in front of the door, then next year, do a little more.

My experience with crushed limestone is that it sets up like concrete. We bought last year for $14 a yard, this year it's $19 I have no doubt next year will be even higher.

I would get a couple more quotes on rock, $30 a yard sound pretty expensive unless they are doing the spreading and delivery distance is quite far. As an example. Crushed limestone, about 3/4 inch size, delivered from the quarry which is about 25 miles away is $19. Buy more than 40 yards and it's $16.75. That does not include any spreading or leveling, just delivered and tailgate spread from the dump truck.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 02:16 PM   #3
fivergeezer

Some wood chips like eucalyptus or cedar have a natural defense against insects, but I don't believe pine chips are among those that do unless they have been treated. Everything that eats or lives in plain old wood chips would probably be just as happy in your RV. I'd go with the rock.
fivergeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 05:16 PM   #4
hankaye

NSTS1470, Howdy;

You mention that you are;

"Im at my new seasonal site and it is sandy very."

Are you doing this with the landlord's permission or do you own it as well?
One consideriation about wood chips is the infamious Emerald ash borer, if you are getting your chips from a saw mill or from somewhere else other than local.
The best bet for gravel is to do it while the site is empty. That way it's easier to ensure a slightly crowned (better drainage), and smooth site.
You folks in New England are funny, I'm used to buying (or hauling aggreigate), that is purchased by the ton not the yard...

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote