Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 09-24-2019, 04:43 AM   #1
Keystone Keeper

Outside Speaker Replacement

We have a 2010 Keystone Passport 199ML. One of the two outdoor speakers is starting to go. I'd like to replace both. Your suggestions on size, brand and model are greatly appreciated! Thanks.
Keystone Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 05:16 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

Take one and measure it. Typically they are 51/4". Once you find the correct size then look for an outdoor speaker that size. Asa for brand, well your wallet will dictate that choice. Google that size "marine" speaker and your options will be apparent.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 08:21 AM   #3
travelin texans

Been parked next to too many folks that I wish would replace their outside speakers to ones that COULD NOT be heard beyond THEIR awning, same with their outdoor tv.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 09:24 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Been parked next to too many folks that I wish would replace their outside speakers to ones that COULD NOT be heard beyond THEIR awning, same with their outdoor tv.
^^^^x2. IMO outdoor speakers and TVs are for one thing only; boondocking in the middle of nowhere by yourself. I've found that 99% of the time anyone next to me blaring music or the TV has something going that I don't like, or maybe even detest. I'm not there to be their unintended "recipient" of obnoxious sound.

This past winter we had some folks parked a few spots from us but in direct sight; no one between us. They loved to pull out the big TV on football nights or crank up the stereo a few nights a week blasting out "noise" as they sat around a fire and guzzled beers (which they started about noon each day). About the 4th time I went and introduced myself to the owner of the RV and the apparent "enabler" asking her to cut the noise so others could enjoy the quiet evening vs loud music/TV and drunken yells. She said she was 66 and just liked to have a "good time". I told her so did I......and that included quiet - not all the noise she/they were putting out. It was better for a few nights but then went back to full blast. Went back again to talk to her and this time one of the regulars, plastered, lit into me telling me to get out and leave them alone. After about 10 minutes trying to reason with her and enduring too much drunken rhetoric I told them I would have the owner resolve the issue. He did.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 09:37 AM   #5
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
^^^^x2. IMO outdoor speakers and TVs are for one thing only; boondocking in the middle of nowhere by yourself. I've found that 99% of the time anyone next to me blaring music or the TV has something going that I don't like, or maybe even detest. I'm not there to be their unintended "recipient" of obnoxious sound.

This past winter we had some folks parked a few spots from us but in direct sight; no one between us. They loved to pull out the big TV on football nights or crank up the stereo a few nights a week blasting out "noise" as they sat around a fire and guzzled beers (which they started about noon each day). About the 4th time I went and introduced myself to the owner of the RV and the apparent "enabler" asking her to cut the noise so others could enjoy the quiet evening vs loud music/TV and drunken yells. She said she was 66 and just liked to have a "good time". I told her so did I......and that included quiet - not all the noise she/they were putting out. It was better for a few nights but then went back to full blast. Went back again to talk to her and this time one of the regulars, plastered, lit into me telling me to get out and leave them alone. After about 10 minutes trying to reason with her and enduring too much drunken rhetoric I told them I would have the owner resolve the issue. He did.
I have never used my speakers inside or out. I don't understand why you would go camping in the great outdoors and then turn on the 'noise' of the city. Thank goodness yahoo's like that are few and far between.
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 02:00 PM   #6
travelin texans

Sorry to the OP for bringing this up!
Good luck with the speaker upgrade. Wish I could be of help.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 02:30 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Yes, OP, sorry for the misdirection there. The irritation is still kind of fresh

What I did forget to mention is this; I've not ever used or replaced my outside speakers but I did on the inside. Those speakers said they were 5 1/4" which I found difficult to find. Ended up with speakers that said they were 6 1/2" (Kenwood) and they fit perfectly so check your measurements and those of the prospective speaker.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 02:44 PM   #8
Danno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keystone Keeper View Post
We have a 2010 Keystone Passport 199ML. One of the two outdoor speakers is starting to go. I'd like to replace both. Your suggestions on size, brand and model are greatly appreciated! Thanks.
Keystone Keeper, if this is of any help. I have the same model year as yours 2010 Raptor 361LEV and it had 6 1/2" Sony marine speakers. I replaced them with Kicker 6.5 marine and they fit great!
I would imagine Keystone bought a train load for that model year, so they might be the same, but I would measure first.
2002 DCB with twin Mercury 300x's
2013 Avalon 2685 with Honda 250
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 11:21 PM   #9
busterbrown

A simple portable bluetooth speaker can provide a much 'richer' sound and offers better control over the broadcast field. And its portable. I haven't used my exterior speakers in several years. We occasionally elect to stream music to a bluetooth speaker that usually sits on the ground, allowing for our local enjoyment only. Did I mention it's portable?
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 03:26 AM   #10
FlyingAroundRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post

Hmmm, I would say that outdoor TV and speaker setups are for one thing ... Selling RVs. I can't understand why anyone would want to sit outside with the heat and the bugs, or in the wind or with the rain coming down, to watch TV, or listen to the stereo.
Sitting outside watching the birds and deer file past, sure, but watching TV? Put the aircon on, grab a coldie and go inside and cheer your team on. Outside is for outside. JMHO, YMMV
BTW! Our TT has outdoor speakers and I even left them on inadvertently one night while we were watching a movie. No one mentioned it, but when the DW discovered they were on we were mortified.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 04:17 AM   #11
GeekSquadOfUn

As someone who has tried to replace those speakers, I suggest you do not. I had problem with finding the correct diameter and size, plus sealing them from water was not easy and looked bad at the end of the day. More importantly, the sound was still bad...

I suggest you let them be, instead buy a good portable Bluetooth speaker. You'll get richer and much better sound and have full control.

My personal experience.
May you live as long as you want, and never want as long as you live.
GeekSquadOfUn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 06:18 AM   #12
CampNBrew2

Another thing I've not seen mentioned to be sure and check the depth of the hole they go into. Many aftermarket speakers have large magnets/baskets and will bottom out against the inside wall. Pull one speaker and measure then check dimensions online before ordering.
Along with others here, we hate to listen to peoples movies, sports, and music blaring and try to be courteous when we watch or listen. Sometimes its nice to have a bit of music to drown the drone of your neighbors incessant generator...
2015 Honda CRF250L (Wifes)
Camping, home brewing, and dirt bikes!
CampNBrew2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 06:22 AM   #13
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterbrown View Post
A simple portable bluetooth speaker can provide a much 'richer' sound and offers better control over the broadcast field. And its portable. I haven't used my exterior speakers in several years. We occasionally elect to stream music to a bluetooth speaker that usually sits on the ground, allowing for our local enjoyment only. Did I mention it's portable?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSquadOfUn View Post
As someone who has tried to replace those speakers, I suggest you do not. I had problem with finding the correct diameter and size, plus sealing them from water was not easy and looked bad at the end of the day. More importantly, the sound was still bad...

I suggest you let them be, instead buy a good portable Bluetooth speaker. You'll get richer and much better sound and have full control.

My personal experience.
+1

I have a nice bluetooth speaker and have not used the camper sound system since getting it.

I had previously replace the inside speakers and they do not come close to the sound quality of the bluettooth speaker.

-Brian
Old 09-25-2019, 06:48 AM   #14
Roscommon48

just measure and get a pair of 'outside' speakers. and remember you may have neighbors near by.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 08:58 AM   #15
DAMILLER_SR

Everybody has their own reasons for having a trailer. Half of my use is going to the motorcycle and automobile races. The other half is useD camping. Having an outside TV and speakers would be great at the races as it allows you to not only watch the race as it goes by, but also see what's going on on the back side of the track if it's broadcast on TV. I understand the disturbing the neighbors thing, because it's just common courtesy and common sense. But not all trailer use is Outdoors near your hunting cabin, and having outside speakers it's something I truly like. As for the Bluetooth speaker, the last thing I personally want to be doing is carrying extra stuff to dig out while setting up, when my trailer has speakers already built in.
JM2C
DAMILLER_SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 07:49 PM   #16
Local150

I replaced mine with marine speakers, for them from amazon, don't remember the price, but it wasn't much, they are just a average speaker but good enough for me
Local150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 11:23 AM   #17
Pat R

I replaced mine today from Trekwood. It took 5 minutes per speaker and you get what fits if you enter your correct trailer info in the search for parts. I also have a 2010 199ml

Radio - Speaker - Waterproof - 5" - Dual Cone - Perf Mesh - Black [Keystone 324138]
$42.18 for 2 speakers.
Pat R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 05:33 AM   #18
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat R View Post
I replaced mine today from Trekwood. It took 5 minutes per speaker and you get what fits if you enter your correct trailer info in the search for parts. I also have a 2010 199ml

Radio - Speaker - Waterproof - 5" - Dual Cone - Perf Mesh - Black [Keystone 324138]
$42.18 for 2 speakers.
Just curious, what did they charge you for shipping? Trekwood has reputation for charging very high S/H rates.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 05:45 AM   #19
Pat R

Shipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Just curious, what did they charge you for shipping? Trekwood has reputation for charging very high S/H rates.
Yes I agree, their shipping is unrealistic. I just got the trailer a few weeks ago and bought about $85 worth of replacement parts and the shipping was $15. Then yesterday when I was installing everything I realized I forgot to order a part. I went back on the site and a $32 part (single piece of plastic) was $16 in shipping. I searched their description on the internet and found the part for $25 with free shipping on Amazon. It’s on the way and Trekwood lost a sale.
Old 10-16-2021, 06:40 AM   #20
Pat R

5 & 1/4 is the interior speakers. Exterior speakers are 5 inch.