Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2019, 08:37 PM   #1
Papsmagee

Winter camping

I have a Springdale 179 QWBE bought new 4 months ago. I love it and want to keep camping through the winter. Is it made for this kind of camping? How much will I need to do to prepare for winter camping?
Papsmagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 01:57 AM   #2
Fishsizzle

How cold? How long?
2020 F350 Crew DRW 6.7, 4x4, 10 sod auto, 4:10 gears
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 04:12 AM   #3
Roscommon48

'made for winter camping?' answer: not really.

but it depends on how cold, could you live without any water in lines, how long. will you have electric? so many questions. if you use only the furance it may run all the time and use a lot of propane.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 06:41 AM   #4
Papsmagee

Winter camping

Yes, there are many variables. I'm looking at 2-3 nights maximum. And I intend to avoid temperatures below 20 degrees Fahrenheit. I'd like to keep water in tank, but could go dry if needed.

I'm curious about insulation in walls, ceiling and floor. Does this model trailer have much/any? I can't find anything on the Keystone site addressing this, which causes me to think that the manufacturer intends that this camper is meant to be used only in temperatures above freezing.

But I wonder if others have camped in winter conditions as I am hoping to do.
Papsmagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 07:51 AM   #5
Canonman

We have camped in similar winter conditions. But, from what I can read about your TT, the Springdale Arctic Package is not available on the non slide models. The key is to keep the trailer warm. This isn't a big problem if you plan on camping with at least electric hook ups as you can use an electric heater to keep the inside temps at 50+ degrees. You will use a fair amount of propane to do the same if you are boondocking. IMHO if you can keep the trailer warm you should be able to go a couple of days without freezing anything up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_7982.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	699.8 KB
ID:	23900  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 09:25 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

The Springdale line is a "wood frame trailer" with aluminum siding and fiberglass insulation in the walls, floor and ceiling.

The typical Springdale construction hasn't changed in the past 10 years, although options have changed significantly. So, the walls, floor and ceiling in your "NEW" Springdale are very similar to the walls, floor and ceiling in any Springdale that's been sold in the past decade.

So, whether Keystone has "moved away from emphasizing the R value in current brochures, there isn't a "hill of beans difference" in the R values in previous models and in today's models.

The 2014 Springdale brochure (you can download it at the Keystone site) lists, in the standard features and options chart, that the R value in the walls, floor and ceiling as R-7. Remember that all the windows are R-1 rating, so the actual trailer, depending on the window area, may have an R value of R-4 or R-5. Honestly, that's not a heck of a lot better than a "quality insulated mountain tent".

Can you camp in 20F temps? Yes, with accommodations. It will be extremely difficult to go 2 or 3 days without electricity because the furnace consumes "enormous amounts of battery power". So, dry camping for a weekend in 20F temps is going to be extremely difficult, if you plan to heat the trailer. Staying in a campground where electricity is available, now that's an entirely different story. We have one member who parks his "very similar construction" trailer in a public campground and uses it regularly through the Michigan winter. Temps when he's camping (with accommodations for the weather) usually range in the 0F to 20F range. He reports enjoying the experience, so it's possible with the right circumstances.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 09:47 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

I don't winter camp any longer but I have. The trick, I think, is whether you are boondocking or at an improved site. Boondocking to me is a real pain in sub freezing weather and you go thru lots of LP, generator fuel and misery in heavy ice/snow.

At a developed campground with power things change dramatically and you can actually enjoy the "snow" once you've figured out what's going to freeze and protected it/them - water hose, lp tanks, sewer line etc.

I did much of my winter camping many years ago in an entry level trailer that I'm sure didn't have any more, or as much, insulation as yours does today. I had no slides (don't know that they existed). Some times rough, sometimes fun. What kind of winter camping do you envision.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 11:14 AM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papsmagee View Post
Yes, there are many variables. I'm looking at 2-3 nights maximum. And I intend to avoid temperatures below 20 degrees Fahrenheit. I'd like to keep water in tank, but could go dry if needed.

I'm curious about insulation in walls, ceiling and floor. Does this model trailer have much/any? I can't find anything on the Keystone site addressing this, which causes me to think that the manufacturer intends that this camper is meant to be used only in temperatures above freezing.

But I wonder if others have camped in winter conditions as I am hoping to do.
2-3 nights should be doable IF the 2 LP tanks are full to start out. You will go thru a lot of propane and as mentioned by others you will need to supplement/replenish battery if going "off the grid". If your running on shore power I'd advise against using electric "space heaters" as the LP furnace should keep the water lines under the floor warmer. For 2-3 nights I'd use the water tank and pump rather than work about the hose freezing and bursting overnight.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter