Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2019, 12:04 PM   #1
Capt Dave

Maxx air fan install

I have a 2016 Passport 23RB elite and want to replace the ceiling vent with a Maxx air fan. Are there any electrical connections near the vent I can use or do I need to tap into a light or something? The ceiling vent is a manual crank air vent. The Maxx air should slip into place, just not sure where to get power. I would like to do this myself since it would be a big cost savings over the RV shop doing it plus I can purchase the Maxx air fan cheaper on line instead of thru the RV shop.
Capt Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 12:26 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum!!

If the vent doesn’t have a fan then there probably isn’t power there. If there is a light nearby you can tap into it, but if the light is in a wall switch and doesn’t have a switch at the light you may have to have the light on to operate the fan, or fish the fan wiring down to the hot side of the switch. Not hard just time consuming.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 01:11 PM   #3
busterbrown

I just looked at a video of your floor plan. You're best option for independent power is to tap into the range vent below the microwave. This is how I had to do it on my Bullet. Our vent openings are positioned exactly the same from where the microwave is. After you remove the microwave, cut (or drill) a hole in the ceiling behind the microwave and use some fishing tape (or coat hanger sized wire) to draw/pull the new set of wires through. It should work. Took me a few tries to get the tape in sight of the hole I made in the rear microwave cabinet ceiling.

Then, just run the wires down the backside of the cabinet space and splice into the 12 volt DC power either to the exhaust fan or hood light. There are 4 screw holding that range vent into place. You'll have to remove them to gain access to those wires.

The benefit of wiring to constant power is not worrying about a switch position. Also, doing the job yourself will give you the satisfaction of know it got done right.

The Maxxair I installed is 0007000K model with the automatic closing and wireless remote option. One of the best mods to our trailer.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 01:42 PM   #4
Capt Dave

Maxx air install

Thanks for the info. That’s what I thought about using the light, using the fan over the oven looks like something I’ll try.
Old 09-29-2019, 01:46 PM   #5
Capt Dave

Does the remote work well with the fan? I’ve read some reviews that said you’d have to be really close to it for to to work. Hadn’t decided over the manual or remote fan yet.
Old 09-29-2019, 02:21 PM   #6
busterbrown

Since it uses an IR remote, it works like any other "line of site" device transmission. Any angle under the unit (for the most part) works. My kid can turn it on and off while sitting on the floor underneath the vent. It won't work from an adjacent room.

For those with 8 feet plus ceilings in their coaches and for the 'vertically challenged' people of the world, the remote is a godsend.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 02:45 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterbrown View Post
Since it uses an IR remote, it works like any other "line of site" device transmission. Any angle under the unit (for the most part) works. My kid can turn it on and off while sitting on the floor underneath the vent. It won't work from an adjacent room.

For those with 8 feet plus ceilings in their coaches and for the 'vertically challenged' people of the world, the remote is a godsend.

Yup!! The one in the bedroom is right above the bed and you can get to the controls by sitting up. The one in the family room is way up there and it has a remote.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote