Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2019, 07:31 AM   #1
LewisB

Toyhauler Fuel Station Ground Cable? Required?

I could not find a forum discussion on this issue.

We just purchased a new 2018 Raptor 353TS. Love the trailer and features. It comes with two fuel tanks (generator + toy). The fuel station does NOT have any type of grounding cable (trailer to toy). That seems odd, but it came from the factory that way. I checked with a couple of friends who have other brands and they have never seen a fuel station that has a ground strap. Our prior 2008 Raptor 3712TS did have a strap - I thought they were required.

So, my question: Is a trailer-to-toy grounding cable required for a toy hauler fuel station? If so, by who (fed, state, etc.)? If so, why would they not be a required item for the manufacturer?

Thanks for any info you may have.
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 11:41 AM   #2
retiredusps69

Ground Strap

Most fuel delivery hoses have a steel braid wire running inside the rubber coating.So it grounds thru the nozzle to wire then tank.
I would run my own ground to trailer frame or the tank. I have seen plastic cans go up from static elec. Never fill plastic even steel cans in pickup with bed liner !!!!Put the can on the ground. I had a 55 gal go up by static elec in the pickup bed.

When conditions are right they will catch on fire. Never wear nylon jacket or vest I have had spark jump from jacket to metal.
I drove gasoline for 25 years so I know how the fumes and static Elec. works when you don't expect it.Buy a cheap set of jumper cables to use as a ground strap. I still don't trust working with Gasoline after all this time to many close calls
retiredusps69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 09:47 AM   #3
AbHDToyHauler

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredusps69 View Post

I still don't trust working with Gasoline after all this time to many close calls
Ditto. Ground rig first before dispensing fuel. Hot day, lots of fumes you don't need a static spark to ruin it. Easier to be safe. Ground anyways. My 2 cents.
2012 Harley Davidson TriGlide (Trike) (Hers)
AbHDToyHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 07:49 AM   #4
LewisB

I couldn't determine if our toy hauler hose included a "ground wire" in the hose, as suggested. I'm guessing it probably doesn't. So, to make sure, I purchased an inexpensive set of jumper cables, pulled them apart (easy to do), and use the black cable as a ground. Clamped one end to the dischage fitting at the pump and the other end is pulled out and clamped to a grounded location on my Can Am SxS.

A $10 insurance policy!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 09:30 AM   #5
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisB View Post
I couldn't determine if our toy hauler hose included a "ground wire" in the hose, as suggested. I'm guessing it probably doesn't. So, to make sure, I purchased an inexpensive set of jumper cables, pulled them apart (easy to do), and use the black cable as a ground. Clamped one end to the dischage fitting at the pump and the other end is pulled out and clamped to a grounded location on my Can Am SxS.

A $10 insurance policy!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
That's probably the smart thing to do if you aren't sure whether you have a built in ground connection in the hose.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 02:40 PM   #6
86GT2r

My 17 impact 361 has a ground strap. It is / was tucked back in the compartment. I didn't see it at first.
---------------------
86GT2r is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cable, fuel, toyhauler