Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2018, 07:53 PM   #21
Starfleetmarj

RV pet temp monitor

We just recently purchased the TempStick. We haven't used it yet but will test it out this week when we travel to Utah for a dog show.

It says that it monitors the interior temp and humidity and sends information to a central computer at TempStick. You can set the temps you want to be alerted at and Temp Stick will email or text you a message if your temp setting has been breached. It bluetooths to our Verizon jet pack hotspot in the camper and sends all information to TempStick on the temps in the RV. I can use the TempStick app on my phone and check the temps at any time. It also keeps a log of all information that I can review. I can set the monitor to send info every 3-15 minutes, 30 minutes, or on the hour, or more if I chose, depending on how fast I want information.
We travel with dogs in the trailer so we need to monitor the temp as we are driving.

In the past, we have tried the blue tooth signal monitors that has a receiver in the truck and the sender in the camper but we lose signal constantly.

I will do a review and post next week after we have used the Temp Stick to see how reliable it is.
Starfleetmarj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 09:21 PM   #22
ptooti

thanks looking forward to update

will check back for your review post if it works well I think we will get one is there any subscription required other than the wifi?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfleetmarj View Post
We just recently purchased the TempStick. We haven't used it yet but will test it out this week when we travel to Utah for a dog show.

It says that it monitors the interior temp and humidity and sends information to a central computer at TempStick. You can set the temps you want to be alerted at and Temp Stick will email or text you a message if your temp setting has been breached. It bluetooths to our Verizon jet pack hotspot in the camper and sends all information to TempStick on the temps in the RV. I can use the TempStick app on my phone and check the temps at any time. It also keeps a log of all information that I can review. I can set the monitor to send info every 3-15 minutes, 30 minutes, or on the hour, or more if I chose, depending on how fast I want information.
We travel with dogs in the trailer so we need to monitor the temp as we are driving.

In the past, we have tried the blue tooth signal monitors that has a receiver in the truck and the sender in the camper but we lose signal constantly.

I will do a review and post next week after we have used the Temp Stick to see how reliable it is.

Current : 2018 Passport Elite 19RB
Past 2015 R-Pod 179
6,000 Equalizer WDH
2009 F150 Lariat 5.4l
ptooti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 06:48 AM   #23
realgoodbear

I also just purchased the TempStick but have not tested it yet. It got good reviews on Amazon and does not require a subscription but does require installing a free app on your phone.
realgoodbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 06:51 AM   #24
Wes Tausend

coachjim31,

We also bought an earlier MarCell system (as Ruffus, below) to help monitor a local relatives home while they were gone. It got excellent Amazon reviews.

We were also going to eventually use it to monitor our travel-trailer for pets which should work fine since it alerts you automatically. It seemed to have everything we needed since it didn't need wifi, just power (which is a biggie) and called a designated number with it's built-in cell phone if any of the sensors failed to meet their settings. As Ruffus said, it also still alerts you if the power fails.

Only after I received it, did I realize the major flaw in my reasoning. The company originally required an auto-pay credit/debit card number permanently on file to pay for periodic cell phone registration service. The pay-as-you-go cell cost was quite amenable (we use TracFone exclusively), but we never allow any company to auto-charge our normal checking or card for any reason.

In lieu of a regular card, it would be simple to use a gift card system that can be updated with new funds, but we decided to physically check the relatives home rather than do that. Like I said we've never used it, but I assume it still would work. The original is no longer available, but a pair of reviews are still high for the updated version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffus View Post
We use a system called marCell. You can set the temperature range, humidity range and it updates every 8 hours. If you have a power outage or hit the max or min of temps and humidity it will text you immediately. You can also buy instant reads for $.50 each and call the system on your phone and get an instant feed back.
2019 Leprechaun 311FS
Wes Tausend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 07:12 AM   #25
Wes Tausend

Quote:
Originally Posted by realgoodbear View Post
I also just purchased the TempStick but have not tested it yet. It got good reviews on Amazon and does not require a subscription but does require installing a free app on your phone.
It also appears to need reliable wifi which may not be available in all campsites. It would great for snowbird monitoring of home, however.

It seems at the minimum, all other monitors need reliable cell service which could also be a problem in very remote dry-camping. But if camp is that remote, why would anyone generally leave their camper to do... what? Maybe a day-hike or desert ATV trip I suppose.

Wes
2019 Leprechaun 311FS
Old 07-09-2018, 12:10 PM   #26
Starfleetmarj

We have a cellular booster on roof of camper....haven't been anywhere we didn't get a cellular signal. Without it, we have been in places with no signal until we turn booster on. With the Temp Stick we use our Verizon jet pack so we can use it's wifi signal for all our different devices. The jetpack is battery operated so doesn't need power when traveling. But we plug it in to charge it when we stop. It will last all day on battery. If the Temp stick is set to send info to the collection center about every 30 minutes...it won't drain the battery that much on either the Temp Stick unit or the jet pack unit. Temp Stick uses lithium batteries, so they last longer.
Old 07-09-2018, 04:21 PM   #27
sturnmeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfleetmarj View Post
We have a cellular booster on roof of camper....haven't been anywhere we didn't get a cellular signal. Without it, we have been in places with no signal until we turn booster on. With the Temp Stick we use our Verizon jet pack so we can use it's wifi signal for all our different devices. The jetpack is battery operated so doesn't need power when traveling. But we plug it in to charge it when we stop. It will last all day on battery. If the Temp stick is set to send info to the collection center about every 30 minutes...it won't drain the battery that much on either the Temp Stick unit or the jet pack unit. Temp Stick uses lithium batteries, so they last longer.

We use the RV PetSafety, which booster are you using?

sturnmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 09:26 AM   #28
Starfleetmarj

We use WebBoost for our Cellular booster. When we need a boost, we put the antenna on the roof and connect co-axail to the incoming tv antenna co-axial feed on outside of trailer, we then connect the inside tv antenna coaxil to WebBoost cellular receiver in camper. We store the receiver in a cabinet next to the tv and we hang the signal sender thingy in the main area of the camper. We use the Verizon jetpack to create our wifi signal and to send and receive internet.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:54 PM   #29
cynnich

We use Temperature alert and Arlo camera

We use both Tempetature Alert to keep an eye on temps and an Arlo camera to check on the doggy. We have also taken out the Temperature alert and run in the truck when we were gone with the dog for the day.
cynnich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 05:45 PM   #30
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jberndt10 View Post
Why not just set your thermostat to 85 or whatever you deem is too warm, so the air goes on?
Apparently me and you are missing something.
Y'all got some 'splaining to do.
You either turn the A/C on, or you don't.

That said there are dogs all around here living outside in high 90F temps.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 06:34 PM   #31
sturnmeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Apparently me and you are missing something.

Y'all got some 'splaining to do.

You either turn the A/C on, or you don't.

That said there are dogs all around here living outside in high 90F temps.

My concern is if a breaker trips or the somehow the AC stops running. Inside a space like that is no where the same as being outside temp wise. Not true apples to apples comparison.

sturnmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:50 PM   #32
vampress_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Tausend View Post
It seems at the minimum, all other monitors need reliable cell service which could also be a problem in very remote dry-camping. But if camp is that remote, why would anyone generally leave their camper to do... what? Maybe a day-hike or desert ATV trip I suppose.

Wes
Thank you for giving me a snicker for the day - after this week, I needed a small laugh!

We camp mainly in southeastern MN where there is no cell service in the valley and the WiFi only works some of the time. Not exactly a very remote area since it’s only 45 minutes from Rochester. We all go up to the “phone booth” if you need to call some one. The phone booth is what we all call the old cemetery about 3 miles up the hill from the campground...but that’s where everyone has cell reception!

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 04:50 AM   #33
Badbart56

I think it’s a legitimate concern to monitor the temperature in your RV much for the same reason you wouldn’t leave your kids in the car while you go shopping. What could possibly go wrong?

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 01:41 PM   #34
Wes Tausend

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampress_me View Post
Thank you for giving me a snicker for the day - after this week, I needed a small laugh!

We camp mainly in southeastern MN where there is no cell service in the valley and the WiFi only works some of the time. Not exactly a very remote area since it’s only 45 minutes from Rochester. We all go up to the “phone booth” if you need to call some one. The phone booth is what we all call the old cemetery about 3 miles up the hill from the campground...but that’s where everyone has cell reception!
Always glad to provide a laugh. Hope your weeks get better.

Heck, I thought only ND had that rural problem. The oil boom helped in the NW area, but service is still pretty bad across the southern, low density, low $ region.

I worked for a railroad that parallels I-94, and the highway is fairly well covered now. So rail cell service should have been good. But I-94 deviated somewhat from the rail, taking the towers with it, and I still remember Conductors having to run up a hill for a 'technology fix' when we stopped.

FWIW my crusty old analog flip phone worked nearly everywhere the train went as long as the NiCad battery hadn't gone dead. I hung onto it well into the new age. The newer digital, not so hot for service, but at least the lithium battery lasts a bit longer.

I'm particularly interested in the booster system Starfleetmarj has incorporated. A similar situation, campsite digital TV's usually demand a booster. And like I mentioned, the old analog phones reached further and there were cell boosters available even back then, so it makes even more sense now. A booster might even make your 'booth hill' a memory.

Wes
2019 Leprechaun 311FS
Old 07-26-2018, 09:05 AM   #35
Starfleetmarj

I wanted to give my review about the Temp Stick now that we have used it on a few trips.
Setting it up took a bit longer than I thought but once I got the wifi to connect to it, it went fairly quick to set up the phone app. We had dogs in the toyhauler when we traveled and I set the monitor to send info every 30 minutes, with a text alert set to send when the temp got above 75. With the app, I could monitor the temps at any time using the wifi on my Verizon Jetpack that we left in the camper. It worked great! The Temp Stick recommends using lithium AA batteries. After 2 weeks of usage the batteries are still at 100%. The monitor sends to the Temp Stick server and keeps all data stored there and I can read all the date on my phone app. So I could go back and look at the history if I wanted to see how fast the temp was rising. I would highly recommend this unit for your own piece of mind when leaving pets alone in your RV.
Old 08-01-2018, 10:42 AM   #36
coachjim31

Thanks for all the input....
coachjim31 is offline   Reply With Quote