Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 05-27-2018, 07:38 PM   #21
mcmeadows1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubacjohn View Post
Living in Southern Arizona, my mistake in NOT having slide toppers is degradation of the black slideout seals. The top ones turn to a gooey mess from the sunlight.

X2

LOL! I am in the process of removing and replacing the top wiper seals on our RV’s three slide outs as one turned to goo and disintegrated, the second one is almost goo, and the third one has just started the process of turning into goo. And, no, we don’t have slide toppers. The sun, here in Arizona, is relentless...
mcmeadows1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 04:24 AM   #22
JimSchwenk

Question Me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Dreamer View Post
I'm on the fence about adding them. My Carbon 347 has a ladder so ok to walk on roof. I kinda like having to go up and look at everything when sweeping slides off. Other side is a concern of getting lazy about going up there. Other question is are you ever worried about debris blowing in under edges, then you have to have a ladder to check under them?
My 29R only has one slide but my year-round spot is under the trees at Laurel Lake (PA). So it gets filthy, plus I don't like to leave it out for more than a few days at a time. You know, I still want to yank my camper out and go places, LOL.
Anyway, I always keep a ladder so I can clean it off before I close it. Was thinking the same thing but I don't want a dealer to touch my unit. So a DIY is in order if I want one.
A side issue is the info says you can walk on the roof, but there's no ladder. I want to install one but where is the framing they said is on the back somewhere? Dealer says Keystone guards their engineering drawings and they can't access that info. Are they BS-ing me? I should probably slide this part to another thread...
JimSchwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 05:19 AM   #23
chuckster57
Site Team

Toppers aren’t hard to install, and no the dealer isn’t lying, you won’t get any drawings from Keystone showing framing for a ladder.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 05:27 AM   #24
BlueknightWI

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Dreamer View Post
I'm on the fence about adding them. My Carbon 347 has a ladder so ok to walk on roof. I kinda like having to go up and look at everything when sweeping slides off. Other side is a concern of getting lazy about going up there. Other question is are you ever worried about debris blowing in under edges, then you have to have a ladder to check under them?
We ordered them installed when we bought our 2015 Impact 311. I still go on roof a couple times per season to check on things. We will never own another coach without the toppers. They're awesome.
BlueknightWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 05:38 AM   #25
SC Dreamer

Thanks for the great responses!
SC Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 05:57 AM   #26
JimSchwenk

Me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Toppers aren’t hard to install, and no the dealer isn’t lying, you won’t get any drawings from Keystone showing framing for a ladder.
Thanks for the quick reply, Chuckster... Should have ordered a ladder to be installed when we picked it up new but you know how it is, couldn't wait to get the new toy hooked up and gone. I wonder if the 'ole stud finder would be reliable? I'm not going to go on a drill and search mission; it would just be nice to not have to drag the ladder on the road. Like a lot of us annual member campground folks, I have a "shed" (spare Haulmark trailer) full of junk at the spot, and a couple of those Harbor Freight knockoff folding ladders so it's not a big deal...
But the topper is definitely on the list for when I'm not asleep by the fire one of these days. Relax a little, work a little... In fact I go up there to "work" on weekdays, the place is basically empty and you can't beat the view from the office.
JimSchwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 01:26 PM   #27
24vctd

Yes they do cut down the rain noise my current Denali didn’t have them on our first trip in feb rain and it was much more noise. We added them when we got back.
24vctd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 09:28 AM   #28
ranch.manager

Slide Topper

I would definitely invest in them. One rainy night in a less than level site we had water make it past both seals. The carpet under dinette was wet. Have been in worse storms since then with no problems. I’m surprised no one else posted a similar message.
ranch.manager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 09:54 PM   #29
Electric Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterbrown View Post
I agree with the above. I've had them installed the day I took delivery and they provide one less worry on camping trips. They work as intended, protecting the slide tops from debris, and even keep the coach a bit cooler on those sunny days. Toppers are a worthy upgrade.
I am also thinking of getting slide toppers and I figured the amount of insulating factor having that air space keeping the direct sun off the slide would be well worth the money. The bad thing is, I've got 4 slide outs! Probably cost about $1100 to do the improvement. I live in California, so I get a few hot days.
Electric Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 01:56 AM   #30
Tinner12002

We had them installed on our Raptor after having to get a ladder out and clean off the slides once. Really like ours!
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 01:15 PM   #31
mikz86ta

Ours came with them from prior owner.
I noticed they do flap with windy days and can keep a light sleeper up at night. I'm not a light sleeper, so does not bother me.
They do sag a little and hold water on our large slide but runs off after a while. Could be the installer didn't give them the best pitch?
The roof under it may be harder to clean when needed and hard to inspect.
However the TPO material on the slide and seals will be saved from direct sunlight and rot....will take that advantage!
Probably help with heat also.
Overall I would recommend this
mikz86ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 01:19 PM   #32
DOWva

My keystone 5th wheel does not have them and after listening to you guys not sure i want them now, thanks for helping me make up my mind.

Doug & Diane * Richmond,VA
2014 Keystone Cougar
M-315 High Country 5th Wheel
2014 RAM 2500 Laramie 392 Hemi

AirLifts
DOWva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:13 PM   #33
craftguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank G View Post
Neither the two of us is capable of a romp on the roof, so toppers are a must. Our maintenance guy services the roof on a annual basis, on site.
Frank, we have a 325 also and am in the process of getting some for ours. Which brand did you go with and did you or dealer install them. Thanks.
craftguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:15 AM   #34
pitman44

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikz86ta View Post
They do sag a little and hold water on our large slide but runs off after a while. Could be the installer didn't give them the best pitch?

One of our neighbors had this problem on a wide topper. He taped some pool noodles together and slid them under the middle of the topper. From what I can see it doesn't look like it's pooling water any more.
pitman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 04:35 PM   #35
Tbos

I’m tired of climbing on the roof every time we pack up. Covers go on in Aug.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 04:36 AM   #36
Frank G

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftguy View Post
Frank, we have a 325 also and am in the process of getting some for ours. Which brand did you go with and did you or dealer install them. Thanks.

Sorry for the delay, the dealer installed CareFree. I am satisfied with the product, it is a popular brand and parts should be available long term. The awning rails come pre installed on the Laredo, so installation is relatively simple. If you decide to do it yourself make sure the awning material is shorter then the rails on the unit and it is a close fit between the slide, entrance door and electric awning. The mid profile design does not allow for a lot of pitch on the topper, they will pond water. We've been known to bring the slide in after a heavy downpour to empty the water.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide